Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Ony 2 questions!!

5K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  MotoMike 
#1 ·
I have 2 questions.. Tomorrow m going to chnge oil. I don't have rare stand. Is it ok to change the oil on side stand?? and I don't have any extra tools except those i got with my cbr. so can i change oil with those tools got with mine?

#2 ·
a) your fine , don't think you NEED a stand just for the oil change

b) think you need a 12mm for the drain bolt , and if you are changing the filter a 8mm.

get a tool set asap ... is good to have ... and check every bolt you can see while you are at it ;)

dealers must hate this site now .... bet their service departments are looking like a MC41 free-zone :rolleyes:

#6 ·
Can't remember which thread I saw this in but wrap some tin foil around the exhaust near the oil drain plug as this will help keep the oil from dripping onto the pipe.

#8 ·
Manufacturers always recommend using a torque wrench, but in my experience for something as simple as an oil change you can pretty much "feel" what's too loose or too tight.
You should eventually purchase a quality metric box-end wrench for the drain bolt which has a longer handle for better leverage, but even a cheap adjustable wrench will work until then.
I know I wouldn't want to be stuck on the side of the road with just the tools Honda provides, so you should probably add a couple of wrenches and hex keys to your mobile tool kit anyway. My CBR's trunk currently houses the stock tool kit (with some add-ons) and a Stop & Go tubeless repair kit.

#10 · (Edited)
... just the tools Honda provides....
You got toolS with yours? Mine came with a 5mm hex key -- tha's ALL.

I have since added enough to do an oil change, and I'll be adding more as I do other routine chores; I've done routine tasks with the tool kit that came with each motorcycle I've owned, adding tools as needed, and it results in a pretty good set of tools to have along if something goes bad on the road . . . .

#9 ·
Honda USA sucks; they decided to eliminate the full tool kits back with the introduction of the 2006 bikes in 2005, when my wife was buying herself a new Rebel. Yes, I'm still bitter about the lack of a tool kit.

#11 ·
Honda maybe just figures people won't be randomly doing oil changes, drive chain adjustments, or other routine maintenance by the side of the road. EFI has done away with the possibility of a lot of roadside repairs... it's not like the old days of taking apart a carb to to unplug a pilot jet.

I've never used any of the crappy "made in Bangladesh" tools supplied with Japanese bikes to do maintenance work in the shop... I've got quality tools to use for that. For "on the bike" tool kits, I've always just put together my own sets.

#24 ·
You can buy a 5 mm hex key at almost any hardware store... better yet, just buy a set of metric hex keys (aka "allen wrenches") as you will likely encounter fasteners which will require other sizes... 4 mm, 6 mm, and 8 mm are fairly commonly used sizes.

This is a really nice set, made by DeWalt: http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-service-maintenance/7832-hex-keys-fit-properly.html

Bondhus is a another good brand to look for.

#21 ·
However, when you are on the side of the road with a bike that just died, it would be nice to have a few tools (like a spark plug wrench), even if they aren't the ones that you would normally use.

#23 ·
I can recall being very glad that I had a deepwell 8mm socket with the extensive tool kit that I carry on the dirt bike; it made removing the cover over the front sprocket far easier. I'm still not sure how I got a rock up on top of the sprocket, but, that's trail riding.

However, for my street bike, I do use the kit that Honda provided in the fall of 1988, when they shipped my bike to the USA, as my emergency roadside kit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.