Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Question about low RPM vs mid RPM

9K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  phatch 
#1 ·
First of all, sorry for a dumb question like this.
I've googled for a long time but I still can't figure out,
which range of RPM i should use.

I know that higher RPM will have better efficiency ,
but at which point, our CBR250R will have a break-even milliage? (low vs mid vs high RPM)

I usually ride at 3.5k RPM and shifts at 4.5K RPM.
is it too low revs, and will such revs damage the engine? (both short and long term)

Thank you!

Please forgive my poor english, non-native speaker (I am trying my best :))

#3 ·
I think 4000 to 4500 rpm is about the lowest I would shift. anything lower than that and you are beginning to lug the engine. I generally shift around 9000 rpm. My mileage has never been lower than 60 mpg.

Reactions: MotoMike
#5 ·
Even for casual riding, I'll run the RPM's up to about 6000 before I shift, and typical steady cruising RPM's at 7000 in the higher gears. If I'm running it hard, then 9000 to 10000. I Hardly ever run this engine below 5500 RPM (unless it's idling), there is just not much power being made below 5500 RPM.

#8 ·
startup she goes to 2krpm dropping to 1.5krpm so 3.5k isnt that much,
so you should ride above 3.5 as a general low limit.. for suburban
riding staying above 3.5 to say 5.5 should be ok for power/torque
thus not stressing the engine..

if you want to go faster then say 5 to 7 should be ok..
by testing out these rev ranges you will get a feel for
how the engine seems to like to its revs in the gears..

in general, given that youre not flogging it unmercifully
in very high heat with old oil etc, it is a honda
and youre not likely to hurt it by using its potential..
so be more concerned for letting it go too low, in revs,
rather than too high.. dont worry too much..
firstly, enjoy your motorcycle :)

#12 ·
I usually ride at 3.5k RPM and shifts at 4.5K RPM.
is it too low revs, and will such revs damage the engine? (both short and long term)

Thank you!

Please forgive my poor english, non-native speaker (I am trying my best :))
No your not going to damage your engine at that rpm range. But I believe you will enjoy your bike a bit more if you run the rpm's a little higher.

By the way, your English is great. welcome to the forum :)

#15 ·
I wouldn't worry about your English; your written expression is better than some native speakers. Keep it clear, and simple at first. Keep posting on English language forums and you will become increasingly familiar with English.

Using a language will develop your skills.... just like motorcycling really. To improve, just do it!

Just ride in the range that feels best for your riding style. ;)
You can't get much better, simply put, advice than this.

One of the advantages of single cylinder motorcycles is that they work well over a wider range of rpm than most multis. As long as the engine is reving freely, and can accelerate easily in a gear it is not "lugging".

#17 ·
Ok....qst about how to ride for MOST POWER

Im kinda of a dip sh-- too and a NEWBIE and confused about the RPM crap.
So far I have ridden my bike 145 miles. About 12 miles on one day per weekend or maybe 24miles if both days are nice. I work and can only ride on the weekends now. But at least I will ride when it is 44degrees or higher.

Since i am just casually riding around neighborhood I cant seem to get it past 36mph so I havent ever put it in 6th gear yet.
I am getting more confident about reving longer before i switch to second gear, etc. I dont think I have ever really taken it much above 5000rpms.
My gas light is flashing already and I put 12 miles on it right when it started flashing. So if you do the math that isnt very good gas mileage.
I think it was full when i bought it because all the BARS were lit up.
But if the manual says to shift at 12mph to second, well actually my bike seems to like 10mph better, how am i supposed to get the RPMS up above 6000 or 8000 before second gear without getting the mph up??? IS that good on the bike??? Well i found a more straight road that I think i can get it to 50 mph. SO i will experiment next time I will go out.
So if i rev it to 5000-6000rpm to second gear and 8000 to third, and 9000 to 4th or 5th gear I will get BETTER gas mileage????? I know on the net someone said 5-8000rpm has the most power. Can anybody explain that?
If i go out on a day and I know I am NOT gonna go past 40mph how can I have the most fun with the rpms??? Do i just need to b less timid?? So WILL i have the MOST FUN if i can LEARN how to rev it to 5-8000rpms for all gears or by the 5th or sixth gear????? I really dont think i have taken it above 4-5000rpms the whole time i have been riding to 5th gear.
Thanks so much. They don't teach you that ******************** at the motorcycle class.

#20 ·
This is the first bike that I have owned with a tachometer. Since I try not to fixate on the instruments when I ride, when I have checked my shift points, I'm typically at 4500-5000 rpm. That's what feels right for me. This, of course, is after a few months practice and getting used to the bike and it's gearing.

Yes, I do watch my speed . . . I find keeping it in that 5000rpm range and adjusting the gear gives me the power I need at any given time and I'm usually at the speed I need as well.

Of course I should point out that currently I spend most of my ride below 6000 rpm since I'm not done with the break-in yet (this was recommended by the dealer).

#21 ·
generally i shift gear 4.5-5k rpm which i feel is for smooth riding..if you wana give a punch then one should take it upto 8.5k..I guess reving upto 9+ in 1st & 2nd gear isnt good for engine.. Correct me if am wrong....

for

smooth ride 4.5-5k rpm
race/fast ride/ to reach top speed asap 8.5k rpm

#22 ·
I consistently (within 0.3 secs) ride as fast & smoothly as my skills and the Nugget will allow, and could pinpoint within a metre when gearchanges are done.

But;

have no idea what gear it actually is
Have no idea what the revs are unless they are over 10,800
No idea what the speed is (unless viewing gps data)
^because that stuff dont matter.

Reactions: Jme250RA
#24 ·
My first car was a 3rd(or 4th)-hand Austin Healy Sprite. The tachometer did register something but would mostly swing wildly from stop to stop. Pull and sound was the way it had to be done.

Now the oil pressure gauge dropping to a hair above zero, that I had to believe was true.

The vespa didn't have a tach either (they never did).

#25 ·
when learning to play piano you look down at the keys,
but eventually you dont need to use visual cues..

on a motorcycle, you must maintain attention forward
with primary vision, which may be extended as you become
familiar with riding to include consciously expanding your
peripheral vision to take in more of the front/side view,
together with glancing thru rear view mirrors now and then..

when learning, and thinking of revs and speed, do it on a closed
course or quiet area without traffic and no distractions if possible..
otherwise, generally ride without thinking of the tacho or speedo,
as if they dont exist.. you dont want to develop a bad habit of
drawing your attention and thus mind from the road to instruments..

just as you will learn naturally to ride without having to look down at
the clutch lever as you use it, or the throttle as you apply it,
or the gear lever as you change gears, or the brakes, etc,
so you will learn to maintain your vision ahead in the direction
you are heading and intend to head [such as when cornering]
while still being able to take in momentary glimpses of
tacho [without dropping your head!] and also mirrors..

your brain and body will, learn this and these sequences,,
just as you could learn to juggle or play piano or whatever,
thru intent together with regular rational practice...

riders riding together often ride with different riding styles
incl speed at gear change and so on, while still riding
together as a loosly structured group of riders..
so it doesnt really matter,, exactly what revs
or speed you change at..

over time this will become natural and you will
probably smile when you think back at
how you were concerned about it :)

its not a bus its a motorcycle..
respect it,, but get out and
ride the thing...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.