Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Long distance travel

80K views 92 replies 59 participants last post by  AAJCBR250R 
#1 ·
I want to know peoples experiences on long distance traveling on the CBR250. What's the longest trip you taken? Was the ride comfortable? Any issues along the way?
My longest ride was a day trip along a winding road in northern Ontario. AWESOME trail.
Next summer I'm thinking of a cross Canada trip.
Any thoughts?

#47 ·
Definitely can handle big distances - week before last I knocked off a 3 day 2900k blast from Sydney to the Great Ocean Road (a little past Melbourne), including a lap of the Snowy Mountains. All just names to you I'm sure, but probably some of the best riding in Oz.

Final day was around 1650ks (and a slightly ridiculous 18hrs or so), and the next day I felt fine - so fine that all I wanted to do was go for a ride...

I'll write up a ride report in the next few weeks.

#49 · (Edited)
Over here in New Zealand I just completed a 920km round trip from Auckland to Havelock North and back to Auckland in two days. The purpose of the trip was to attend a family wedding so my wife, being a really encouraging type suggested I rode while she and the kids followed behind in the car.

This is the longest trip I've ridden on the CBR250 and I have the say the bike was faultless when combining key attributes of ride comfort, handling and fuel economy. Sure there are more expensive bikes built with sophisticated suspension set ups for longer distance touring but this bike performed way beyond my expectations.

If motorcycle touring is anything like this then I'm hooked and want to do more of it in the years ahead (I'm 46 so I think there's a lot left in the tank...)

I've included a few pics which include 1) right-turn in Cambridge, 2) approach to Tokoroa, 3) stop-off at Lake Taupo, 4) desolate Taupo to Napier road, 5) pool complex on the beach front in Napier and 6) me and the boys :)

Edit: pics now uploaded.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#53 ·
I returned two days ago from a 4,700 mile trip through nine northwestern states. Took about 16 days to smell the flowers. Fully loaded - soft saddlebags, Ventura seat bag, tank bag, and tent and Thermarest air mattress on back of Ventura luggage rack - I got a low of 62 MPG, a high of 85 MPG, with most tanks giving over 74 MPG. I was impressed with how comfortable it was - surprised, actually. I was expecting an endurance test. I just ran it at 65 MPH on the highways. High altitude riding yields excellent gas mileage. Going up high-altitude mountain passes required one or two downshifts and a more sedate pace, but I never wanted for faster. The slower you go, the more you see, and the easier to stop and turn around for those inevitable photos. Temps ranged from 100+ F to high 30's, and the bike took it all in stride.

Glitches: horn button did not like rain riding, and required a few dozen activations to clear the "cobwebs" after rain. The engine experienced the well-documented low RPM starting/rough idle about half-dozen times. For the relatively few times I actually started the bike, the occurrence on the trip was higher than average. It seems to have happened most often at high altitudes (6,000 - 10,000 feet) after a brief shut-down for a photo. Ummm, that's all that comes to mind, other than the new chain lube I picked up for the trip sucked and my chain stretched big-time no matter how much I applied the stuff, but that's another thread I will start after this one. I got home, and today I read in MCN a scathing review of the same stuff (DuPont Teflon Chain Saver.) If only it had arrived in my mailbox before I left.

Other than the rain, I'd do it all over again. In fact, I've got my sights set on three weeks off in September, and was going to take my CX650 Turbo around the southwest, but now I am thinking of taking the CBR instead!

#55 ·
I was inspired by Bob Munden's rides on his CBR125R, at 6'5" (195cm) and 95kg (say 210lbs) though I only managed to ride an IBA SS1600K (1000miles). I will have a crack at an SS2000K ride on it one day. However, I had bigger things in mind and bought my awesome CBR250R, did an SS1600K on it as a test run a few weeks back. Two days ago arrived home with a fully documented IBA 100CCC Insanity in the bag riding the CBR250R. That's Newcastle NSW to Perth Western Australia and back to Newcastle NSW (Coast to Coast to Coast) in less than 100 hours. The round trip was a tiny bit under 8000km (5000 miles) and it took 98 hours. I didn't smell any roses, they make me sneeze. I do however love to ride motorcycles and do stop when I need to.

Will write a ride report very soon.

#58 ·
I did 375 miles in one day. I could have done much more. I am an organizer for group riding. We rarely go more than 300 miles in one day.
I disagree with those that think it's about the rider NOT the bike! The bike is everything! The nicer the saddle the farther you can ride comfortably!!!

#59 ·
The bike is everything! The nicer the saddle the farther you can ride comfortably!!!
You can customize the saddle on any bike. The point is that you don't need a 700 pound, 100hp, 40 mpg monster to effectively travel cross country. These extreme mileage accomplishments are good promotion for the fact that with some slight attitude adjustment, small displacement bikes can be effective, efficient, real world transportation.

#60 ·
I love to ride the CBR250R, also on longer trips, the only thing that you have to get used to is: if heave loaded, it doesn’t seem to stand very stable on the side stand, but that only seems to be this way because the side stand moves a little bit on its buttom sind, after the short move the bike is stable. I had a lot of times more than 30 kilos on it (most on the backseat, the rest in the topcase and the tank rucksack) and it didn’t fall. Nevertheless I always look for a very flat place to let the motorcycle stand especially if heavy loaded.

#63 ·
I got back last week from a 21 day, 6,400 mile trip on the CBR250. Went from California over to Colorado, then down to Port Aransas, TX, down to South Padre Island for a couple days R&R, then Big Bend, Presidio, and back home. Most miles in one day was 450, with 250-300 being average. Gas mileage from 53-84 US MPG. Best mileage at high altitudes, worst intoTexas head winds! Not a thing hurt on me the entire trip except for inevitable butt-squirm as the day rolled on. Any seam in your garments, even a thin elastic of a brief, will eventually start biting into yer butt, so i took to wearing seamless long m oisture-wicking undergarments only under my FirstGear over pant. Finding a dealer in the heat and humidity of Houston and stopping mid-trip to get new rear tire and chain totally sucked the big one. next big trip i start with new chain and tire. Actually the Dunlop K505 rear was new, but only gave me about 4,500 miles life, so I'm done trying other tires and will stick with the IRC, which gives me 7,000 to 8,000 miles consistently.

#65 ·
Believe it or not in 1972 my brother and I, out of necessity, rode two up on a Honda CL-70 ( that's 70ccs folks ) from Homestead Florida to Lompoc California, all primary roads, no interstates, I don't recall exactly but it took us about two weeks. It really wasn't that bad and even fun at times, we pretty much only carried cash and one change of clothes, we really roughed it, and that little Honda never once let us down, not a single mechanical problem, not even tires. We both weighed about 150lbs at the time. I could have written a book about some of the things we had to deal with on that trip, you name it, it happened. The reason I posted this is to highlight the amazing durability of the Honda product, looking back I marvel at the unintentional abuse that little machine took day after day without a whimper, should give you even more confidence in your CBR 250R.

#69 ·
Ended my 600km jaunt with a really sore butt
Did 400km the first day and 200km the next

On the last leg of the trip met with a little mishap
Went through some thick-ish mud, and I think the front wheel slipped,
So basically the whole bike slipped out of my hands to the outside of the turn, heh.

Just goes to show how tricky mud trails can be... I think I must've been taking it at about 30 - 40 kph (That's about 20 mph)

#70 ·
My longest trip so far has been from Whitby to Manitoulin Island and back. (Each way was a different day) This is about 550 - 600KM and I did not take the fairy. I took a break about every 1 to 1.5 hours. The only downside was my back side was really sore on the way back. But I have always had a bony butt so that is more me than the bike.

My dad has my old bike a CBR125r (2008) and he did the same trip the following weekend with no problems. There are stretches of road were the speed limit is 100KPH but it is usually 90kph. Traffic usually drives 10 to 20kph over speed limit on these roads. If a 125cc bike can do it without a problem then a 250 can :)

Attached is a picture of my bike loaded up and the 125 beside it.

Attachments

Reactions: Myaimistrue
#75 ·
I just got back from a 1900km trip on my CRF250M - this bike doesn't have the comfort a CBR offers, like a fairing for less wind drag, a forward seating position which is better for long distance and of course the seat, the seat on the CRF is made for distances of maybe 30 km. But enjoyed myself!
I ran the bike close to top speed, about 90% open throttle, and the speedo showed between 125 and 135km/h; that's pretty good for a CRF which isn't geared for speed plus I'm sitting upright like a sail in the wind. I realized that the fuel mileage was surprisingly poor at this speed, above 4L/100km! Also I had to concentrate a lot, traffic here in Thailand is way slower than elsewhere and several times I came close to a collision with some local yokels who turned right in front of me or pulled out into the road, assuming I'm going 70km/h like most bikes around here.
So I slowed down, went a tank filling (around 180 km) between 110 and 120 and felt way more relaxed and safe. Fuel consumption improved immensely to about 3,6L/100km.
I had the bike for two months and rode it only on weekends, took it on short trips or just rode around. It had 1900km on the clock when I started the trip; now I rode the same amount in one week! Getting on the bike every day and riding it at higher speeds really gave me another feeling for it. I got more used to it, I could handle it better, take it closer to the limit, lean more into turns and so on. I really learned to enjoy the bike and appreciated what it can do.
A CBR is of course better for trips, but there were several situations, like when I hit a real big pothole at 100+ km/h, when I thought: a CBR would have bottomed out and maybe I would have lost control, but the suspension of the 43mm forks saved my bacon! Also leaning into turns at higher speeds I encountered surface problems and I was very glad to have the wide handle bar to keep the front end from flopping around, it would have been much harder to maintain control on a CBR with clip-ons.
On the last day I did 640 km in eight hours and even on a CRF with an upright seating position that was not a problem but I wouldn't do more than that, then it becomes tiring - I'm in my fifties and I'm used to my afternoon nap!

Attachments

#76 ·
If theres' bicyclists doing country tours, then our CBR250 can definately do it. I mean, even if you WANT to stay off the freeways, hittin the backroads the 250 will shine! Farthest ive done was ~400 miles in a day, but im trying to build my endurance up slowly so fatigue doesn't hit me hard once I do a 2,000mile trip.
Besides 250s have been around for a while and smaller motors before then!

Just remember to stretch every hour and when you can.

I imagine a cramp buster/ cruise control will help you on long trips.

Having stuff on your back like a backpack also will add to fatigue so tank and saddle bags would be priority.

#78 ·
Despite the sporty riding position and a firm seat- I find it better than my earlier motorcycle which had softer suspension and an upright riding position. Never faced issues apart from a conked off stator coil that made me ride without any electricals whatsoever. Tried to compensate by doing this:

Starting the bike was another issue as the juice left in the battery could only support the FI system and not crank the bike. So I used to push the bike up the slope with all the luggage and then roll it down for a push start.

Longest Trips:

Mumbai-Spiti-Mumbai: 5250 kms in 12 days riding through real bad weather in the Himalayas with 1000 kms of non-existent roads.

Mumbai-Bhangarh-Agra-Mumbai: 3200 kms in 4 days

Mumbai-Andhra-Hampi-Mumbai: 2198 kms in 5 days

Mumbai-Dandeli-Goa-Konkan-Mumbai: 1545 kms in 3 days

Mumbai-Gadag-Hampi-Mumbai: 1500 kms in 3 days

And many other 400-700 kms one day rides. Present odometer reads 78,500 kms in 2.5 years. Haven't faced much of an issue yet! TOUCHWOOD ;)

#80 ·
. Present odometer reads 78,500 kms in 2.5 years. Haven't faced much of an issue yet! TOUCHWOOD ;)
going slight OT here. i have seen only 2 cbr's now with 75k plus and one is yours :).. i am still hovering around 30k however you would have changed 5 sets of tyre by now hence wanted your opinion.

used conti's : sad tyre
dunlop tuffgrip : again ok for bad roads only.

what would you suggest for my next change for rear. front IRC will hold good for another 5K kms

Michelin : pilot sporty
ceat : xoom xl or anything else ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.