Question About 600 Mile Service. [Archive] - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums

: Question About 600 Mile Service.

chadwick_90
05-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Hey I just have a question about the first service that is supposed to be done at 600 miles. I'm at just over 400 miles right now so I was just wondering how crucial that first service is, what they do to the bike, and what the valve adjustment is/ if that is worth it and crucial to bike performance. Thanks. - chad

Maxidax
05-07-2012, 07:13 PM
Its mostly to tighten crucial parts of the bike after they have been compressed/been rattled loose/etc and to change the oil after it has been filled with metal shavings from break in. The valve inspection is worth it since valves are a large factor in engine performance but usually, like my bike, adjustments aren't required. Go do it sometime but do it before 1300-1500 miles or so.

MotoMike
05-07-2012, 07:29 PM
I changed engine oil & filter at 580 miles, and went over the bike with wrenches. Using the torque wrenches on a handful of critical fasteners is always a really good idea.
I too am holding off on the valve clearance inspection/adjustment until about 1000 miles. If you hear tappet noise sooner than that, get it done. Follow the O/M for the other 600 mile service items to check, including all the regular Pre-Ride inspection items. Tire pressure should always be at the top of list for Pre-ride stuff to check.

Soul Searcher
05-07-2012, 08:51 PM
Greetings chadwick 90,

To get the most out of your cbr. Would it not be prudent on your part to Follow Honda's minimum required maintance recomendations ? Of Course, this is a Decision, that only you can answer.

TBC
05-07-2012, 09:04 PM
I would definatly get the valves checked at 600, worth the cost. All my valves were tight.

mattcbr250
05-08-2012, 11:29 AM
I would get it done. After taking mine in it operated much smoother. They adjust and check everything. The 600 mile service is the most important. I took mine in with 734 miles. Made a noticeable difference and I was glad to have spent that $224. Everything else I will be doing, until next valve check at 16K miles. :)

MotoMike
05-08-2012, 12:40 PM
I would definatly get the valves checked at 600, worth the cost. All my valves were tight.

Dealers LOVE to check the valve clearance at 600 miles. It means that they will VERY LIKELY get the bike back in another 500 to 900 miles to actually REPLACE the bucket shims to bring the valve clearance into spec. The name of the game in dealership service departments is BILLABLE LABOR. My 600 mile service, cost me an hour and a half of my time, and about $ 12.00 for the oil & filter. I'm spending the $200.00 I saved on a set Michelin sticker tires.

Obviously, performing the valve clearance inspection/adjustment yourself, is not for everyone. I've done it many a time... It's that whole "Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance" thing going on. The enjoyment is in the doing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

"IF THE WOMEN DON'T FIND YOU HANDSOME, THEY SHOULD AT LEAST FIND YOU HANDY"

TheAOP
05-08-2012, 12:43 PM
Hey I just have a question about the first service that is supposed to be done at 600 miles. I'm at just over 400 miles right now so I was just wondering how crucial that first service is, what they do to the bike, and what the valve adjustment is/ if that is worth it and crucial to bike performance. Thanks. - chad

Get it done.

You'll be glad you did. Mine was finally serviced @ 900 miles. Dealer said not to go over 1500 but this shopped is booked 2 months in advance.

chadwick_90
05-08-2012, 12:58 PM
thanks for the replys everyone, I have decided to go ahead and get the full service once i hit around 650 or 700 miles, I just hope it doesn't cost too much. But I do know it is important to have it done and I would never want to neglect an important part of the break in process or any required. And btw this is prolly a dumb question but what is tappet noise?

etiainen
05-08-2012, 01:08 PM
Get it done.

You'll be glad you did. Mine was finally serviced @ 900 miles. Dealer said not to go over 1500 but this shopped is booked 2 months in advance.

Wow! I would've been screwed. I went in 1.5 weeks of getting the bike. Lol.

MotoMike
05-08-2012, 02:06 PM
thanks for the replys everyone, I have decided to go ahead and get the full service once i hit around 650 or 700 miles, I just hope it doesn't cost too much. But I do know it is important to have it done and I would never want to neglect an important part of the break in process or any required. And btw this is prolly a dumb question but what is tappet noise?

It's a "ticking" noise, most noticeable at idle. Fairly easy to tell its coming from the cylinder head of the engine.

Rusty Shackleford
05-18-2012, 10:49 AM
What's a normal price for the 1st service? I'm picking mine up today and it's $350. The salesman told me $250 when I bought the bike, and the service department told me they usually push $450. They're cutting me a break in the middle.

Wanderer
05-18-2012, 12:15 PM
What's a normal price for the 1st service? I'm picking mine up today and it's $350. The salesman told me $250 when I bought the bike, and the service department told me they usually push $450. They're cutting me a break in the middle.

We normally pay more here in overpriced OZ but i have done 985Km and am booked in for a service on Thursday including valve clearance for $315.00
Fingers crossed.
Cheers
Paul:cool:

Rusty Shackleford
05-18-2012, 03:57 PM
Well, off I go to part with the funds to get my bike back from 1st service. Hope all goes well. I shall also have fingers crossed. :)

chadwick_90
05-18-2012, 04:49 PM
Well, off I go to part with the funds to get my bike back from 1st service. Hope all goes well. I shall also have fingers crossed. :)
goodluck! I got quoted $150 for mine, that kinda seems a bit low balled

etiainen
05-18-2012, 04:54 PM
That includes a valve adjustment?

My dealership didn't know that until I made them look in the SM first.

Brado
05-18-2012, 04:55 PM
Hey Chadwick 90 I'm in Australia and without valves being done mine was 170$ so sounds about right :). Good luck mate

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

Rusty Shackleford
05-19-2012, 10:17 AM
It was around $315 because of the misunderstanding, but it was supposed to be around $450-$500. It's a full service plus valve adjustment. They adjusted the clutch/brakes, made sure bolts were appropriately tightened, cleaned and adjusted the chain, changed the oil, etc. I'm just glad to have it back.

FWIW, the clutch and brakes feel noticeably better and 80% of the buzzing and "rattle" are gone. They did a great job.

chadwick_90
05-19-2012, 07:24 PM
Hey Chadwick 90 I'm in Australia and without valves being done mine was 170$ so sounds about right :). Good luck mate

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

they quoted me $170 for everything, including valve check. I did the oil myself and saved a good $50 at least. I went in to tell them I did the oil myself and they told me it wouldn't cost more than $100 to do the valve check and all the other required checks, but I guess we'll see, eveyone else on here seems to have paid double if not triple that ammount

Botts
05-21-2012, 05:18 PM
My dealer wants $225 for the full initial service.

I did the oil change myself, so that should bring the price down some.

The sad part is that the initial service fee from them is a flat rate for all the CBRs. Adjusting the single CBR250 valves is apparently the same as doing the I4 CBR600RR's valves.

cmoretti
05-24-2012, 07:38 PM
Mine took one hour they billed me for two hours for $170 of labor then add oil and filter and it came to $220. I have a prepaid service plan though. All service for the next 4 years for $1300. A huge savings over buying them separately. Especially when the large service is $450. This is my only form of transportation so I should be getting maintenance about every 4 months. I will have to call and purposely ask what the first service includes to make sure they did everything because they don't itemize on the bill, it just says 600mi. service.

Matao87
05-24-2012, 09:31 PM
I bought mine used from a Kawasaki/Kymco dealer with 1,000 miles on it. Now it has about 3,500 and I changed my own oil at 3k out of precaution (since it's so cheap). I have no way of knowing if a valve inspection was done or not since it didn't come with maintenance records. Question is, what would I notice/hear if they were out of spec? Just curious if I should have it done at this late in the game...

DudeMan
05-24-2012, 09:53 PM
Just buy a service manual and do it all yourself. I just hit 600 and will be perfoming the service myself once I get all of the parts I need to get er done.
If you can read and turn a wrench you can do it yourself. I don't trust anybody with my bike and dealer bike mechanics have been known to not give a f**k
and scratch your bike. You will never collect a dime if they do damage your bike.

Get er done yourself!

MotoMike
05-24-2012, 10:09 PM
Just buy a service manual and do it all yourself. I just hit 600 and will be perfoming the service myself once I get all of the parts I need to get er done.
If you can read and turn a wrench you can do it yourself. I don't trust anybody with my bike and dealer bike mechanics have been known to not give a f**k
and scratch your bike. You will never collect a dime if they do damage your bike.

Get er done yourself!

While I'm all for people learning/doing their own service, to whatever degree they are comfortable with, I have to say that I think DudeMan is painting dealership technicians with a rather broad brush here. Don't let one persons paranoia shy you away from getting your bike properly serviced. The valve clearance inspection is not for everyone. All dealership tech's are NOT out to scratch your bike, to think that way is just ridiculous.

By the way Dudeman, I believe you have posted up this "dealership mechanics are out to **** up your bike" nonsense, what?... half a dozen times in the past month. Give it a rest already.

etiainen
05-24-2012, 10:32 PM
Some dealerships aren't to be trusted. However there are good ones out there. You just need to look.;)

Go there, talk to the mechanics and get a feel for it. I mostly do service myself, but I can't always scrounge up the time to do it with work and school. The dealership near me isn't cheap, but they've done a pretty decent job with my bike.

MotoMike
05-24-2012, 10:58 PM
Some dealerships aren't to be trusted. However there are good ones out there. You just need to look.;)

Go there, talk to the mechanics and get a feel for it. I mostly do service myself, but I can't always scrounge up the time to do it with work and school. The dealership near me isn't cheap, but they've done a pretty decent job with my bike.

Exactly... like I said it's not fair to paint all dealers with the same brush. Believe it or not, a lot of guys became motorcycle technicians because they really enjoy working on bikes. It's safe to say they are not doing it for wealth and fame.;)

If you go through life believing that at every turn someone is out to screw you over, thats likely the kind of experience you will attract. And that would kind of suck... :eek:

etiainen
05-24-2012, 11:29 PM
I came to really respect my service department when I snapped my clutch cable last year.

The newgen Ninja 250 cables were on backorder but a really helpful employee helped me find two dealerships, one in Michigan, and one in Pittsburgh that had the cable. Got the number from them, called the Pittsburgh one up, and got my clutch cable in 3 days.:)

DudeMan
05-24-2012, 11:31 PM
There is good and bad in everything. Doing the valves is easy, its just tedious to take all the stuff off the bike to get to them.

When I had my chinese scooter I had no service manual and went by instructions on a scooter forum and it was much easier than I thought. With the scooter it was super easy adjusting the valves, just used the correct feeler gauges for the intake and exhaust valves and you were on your way.

Working on the scoot was good experience.

I will treat each and every maintenance item as a project and work on as though I am a surgeon with my tools all laid out, bright lighting, magnet on hand, and take my time and be very patient and carefully follow each and every instruction 100%.

You don't have to be a motorcycle mechanic to perform you own maintenance on this bike.

I will be videotaping each and every step and posting it on youtube.

You will save a small fortune by doing all the work yourself AND you will feel
feel more connected to your bike.

Just think what you could do with the extra $$ you save by doing it yourself.......

etiainen
05-24-2012, 11:33 PM
You may want to ask your dealership if they do shim exchanges. Mine will exchange 7.48mm shims.

Then you can do it for free.

Matao87
05-24-2012, 11:47 PM
subscribed to DudeMan, hopefully your future maintenance videos will come in handy.

MotoMike
05-25-2012, 12:19 AM
You don't have to be a motorcycle mechanic to perform you own maintenance on this bike.

You don't have to be a surgeon either.

Regarding your previous post:
As someone who earned his living as a motorcycle tech for quite a few years, I've had the privilege to know, work with, and learn from some very good and trustworthy fellow motorcycle technicians. And I take exception to your attitude towards those who choose to work in the field as motorcycle technicians. For someone who thinks that they know it all, you have a lot to learn, DudeMan. You might try being a little less of a jack a** in what you write. In fact, you would do well to "Shut It" for awhile, and do some reading and listening for a change. Who knows, you might just learn something.

MotoMike
05-25-2012, 12:31 AM
subscribed to DudeMan, hopefully your future maintenance videos will come in handy.

You would do well to get yourself a service manual instead. DudeMan has nearly more posts here, than he has miles on his first motorcycle. You really want to trust him to show you how to do a valve adjustment on your bike? Really? Whatever...