Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Installing Hotbodies Fender Elim. Advice?

4K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Phil A 
#1 ·
My Hotbodies Fender Eliminator will be arriving Monday or Tuesday... I've seen some comments it was mind numbing to install. I've printed the instructions, a d saved Hotbodies instructions on Youtube as well as a vid posted by some guy named Mark Tierney. Both are good, but if there's anything else I need to know, please tell me...Thanks in advance...

#3 ·
Look up the Race Kit video from HondaCanada. Pay attention to how he removes the rear body work. It's much easier than how Hot Bodies shows how to do it.

You do take more of the bike off, but fewer bolts that are really easy to get to.

I think that Hot Bodies kit is poorly thought out, even though it does use the factory license plate light.

I haven't really seen a kit that I like with the exception of some from Japan that no one in the US seems to carry. I like the R&G Tail Tidy, but it doesn't have anything to support the rear tail light.

Reactions: Phil A
#6 ·
Take your time run the video in small steps it's not as hard as some people say but I enjoy working on my motorcycle. All i did is run the video watch it all the way through then ran it step by step was able to do everything in about 30 mins. The blinkers does suck go to a hard wear store get some metal a drill and a can of black spray paint you have a new bracket in 10 mins if you want to use your blinkers or just a a new rear intergrated light make it simple.

#7 ·
Thanks, I've watched the video a few times to familiarize myself with the process. Integrated light is a good idea as well. And it'll definitely look better...Thanks!

#8 ·
Since it was raining today, I had the rear half of my bike off about four times. I'm planning a DIY eliminator, but I need to make something to replace the plastic undertail and a filler panel for where the fender connect to the rear fairing. I'm really surprised that no one has come out with a good kit that uses the factory lamp and has a bracket for the tail light.

#10 ·
No kidding....Seriously, you sound like you're into this stuff...Why don't you design something that is easily mass produced, then market it on line. You already have a decent customer base right here...

Reactions: OleKennyRoy
#11 ·
I had the hbfe on for 2 weeks before it fell apart. The turn signal bracket is junk. Removed the kit & returned it. I wont put the replacement kit back on.

There are 2 kinds of accidents. Those where ABS would not have made a difference and those where it would have. You purchase ABS for the latter.

#12 ·
I put a large flat metal washer in each side of the signal bracket along with the plastic "stiffener" pieces Hotbodies provides. Maybe a bit of overkill, but I haven't had any of the problems others report about the signal bracket cracking over time. It's been on the bike for over a year with no problems.
I found one part of the Hotbodies video a little confusing concerning the main thick bolt that holds everything up. It doesn't show you exactly where it goes and it can be a little frustrating to get it seated correctly. Once you get the right angle everything should go together and line up nicely. If not you're doing something wrong and a review of the video usually helps at that point.
It's not that difficult, especially if you take your time, check that everything's going together correctly as you go and don't force anything. The worst that can happen is you have to redo a step or two until you get things to seat properly.
I'll tell you one thing. The Hotbodies eliminator was 1000 times easier to install than the Targa one I got for my Ninja 250R.

#15 ·
Mine didn't show up today, but you answered a question for me. I'd watched the video a time or two and was wondering about a large washer or something like that to distribute the stress points. You answered the question for me. THANKS!

#16 ·
It looks like I need to reinforce as much as I can on this thing with washers. I haven't seen the kit yet, but this sounds like a "cheap plastic" problem. As I assemble it, I'm gonna strengthen anything I can with anything I think might work...Coming from a dirt bike background I've always felt that if you didn't try to fix the old one with either duct tape or zip ties, you probably wasted money replacing it...This might be fun...BAHAHAHAHAHA...

#18 ·
Good idea...might wind up doing that...and this will be a new thread at a later date, but what can be done about the front ones? It'd be cool if they matched...

#19 ·
I bought mine in probably late september to clean up the back of my bike. The price was right so i figured why not... But then things happened. Its not difficult to put on the bike really just watch all the plastic tabs that are on the bike originally and make sure they dont fold under. Since i have had mine i have cracked both sides of the turn signal mount which i just got rid of all together with a intergrated tail and my tag bolts broke out after a few days of riding. The fender eliminator itself isn't junk but the quality of product for price paid is a huge let down. Just reinforce and if the option is there just get rid of the blinker component or get one made from sheetmetal just another option that could be done cheaply.

#20 ·
Thanks so much for all the help!!! I got it installed...It was really a headache, but if I ever need to do it again, it'll be a lot easier. The tail section seems to be constructed in a complicated way that is not necessary.

#21 ·
Hey Phil A. I have the same fender eliminator and I will tell you the turn signal bracket sucks. ended up taking off the turn signal bracket and using some Simpson Ties from Home Depot. Metal construction and a lot studier then the cheap plastic from Hot Bodies.

Chris Pham

#22 ·
Chris...I.m visualizing you getting two of them, bending them so they make a rectangle, bolting them together, then drilling the correct size hole where it needs to be...Is this correct?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.