Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Removing Warning Stickers From Tank

10K views 27 replies 21 participants last post by  VaRider 
#1 ·
Hi,

I really want to get the idiot stickers off the tank and have read that a hair dryer and some WD40 can do the trick. However, I have also heard that WD40 isn't friendly to the paint. Anyone know the truth, or perhaps another way?

#6 ·
Heat, peel, goo gone worked for me. Just wash off the Goo Gone immediately after it does it's thing.

#12 ·
So...I peeled off the stickers and then used goo gone for the residuals. The goo gone worked great for removing the gunk, but then left an unremovable streaky mess on the tank. In the end, I enlisted my fiance to wash the tank as I used goo gone to remove the goo gone section by section. Tank looks great now and I have applied a pro grip tank protector. It's just a black, carbon fiber-ish pad.

#14 ·
^ Glad it worked out. I have a theory that adding heat prior to the peeling leaves less goo to make gone and therefor the Goo Gone works a little easier. But it's just a theory.

#16 ·
I peeled mine off last week. Have to pick up some goo gone. What should I use to remove the goo gone? I don't want to mess up the paint. The dealer scratched the tank when they assembled it. I just brushed it off though. Still irked but no point bitching about it.

#21 ·
I've used isopropyl alcohol before, but typically it's 70% and I still cut it with water.

#23 ·
peel + goo gone

#24 ·
One note as well -- After pulling the stickers off I noticed a fair deal of micromarring on the tank (probably from the dealer washing it pre-delivery). I used some Meguiar's Scratch-X 2.0 and a foam pad, and took about 90% of it out.

#27 ·
Gas can scratch and damage the clear coat over time. My clear is so thin just wiping the tank with my hands makes micro scratches. Spilled a little gas on it one time, wiped it off with a soft paper towel and it scratched it. It's very soft stuff apparently. Citrus cleaners are the best and most gentle, i.e., Goo Gone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.