Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

headlight LED modification tutorial

58K views 73 replies 45 participants last post by  RyCan3 
#1 ·
In our headlight we have main beam with H4 bulb and running lights which uses 2xT10 bulb (W5W - 5watt).

Classical bulbs sucks, so there is worth to change them into leds.

Modification time - 5mins

1. Buy leds there 2 T10 168 194 158 White 38 SMD LED Light Bulb Lamp 12V | eBay (keyword 38 LED T10) - I can recommend seller eleseed which ships during few hours). Those leds are the best I ever bought - they consume 2,5W each, so they are very bright, much brighter than 5W bulbs

2. Then wait 2 weeks for shipment

3. Using hand change bulbs into leds ( you have to unscrew rubber mount)

4. Enjoy modification

Left - LED, right original bulb

See less See more
#5 ·
Billy, these are the ones I have on my bike that you saw last weekend.
2x Car T10 168 194 Pure White 68 SMD LED Auto Side Indicator Light Bulb DC 12V | eBay

Doubt it's the same seller, but same t10 wedge 68 smd led bulbs. A pair for $5. It will take 2-3 weeks to get here, but it's half the price of the US sellers.

As far as legality, They are very white and have a hint of blue to them, not so much that you would call it "blue" though, just a tint. Had them on 6 months and been all over WV, OH, PA, MD, VA and DC with no hassles from the lawmen.

#6 ·
Yes Matao87, "
2x Car T10 168 194 Pure White 68 SMD LED" looks very similar. But the most important think, which does metter for bright is, how they choose resistors. I bought many led bulbs, and I have bulbs with 120LED, which are not more bright that those 38 LED.

But, your leds look very good and I hope, each from 68SMD is so strong as each from mine 38 SMD. In such case those 68SMD it will be best leds available on market.

If you receive, please give answer how bright are they and if it will be posible, measure consumed power

#12 ·
Yes Matao87, "
2x Car T10 168 194 Pure White 68 SMD LED" looks very similar. But the most important think, which does metter for bright is, how they choose resistors. I bought many led bulbs, and I have bulbs with 120LED, which are not more bright that those 38 LED.

But, your leds look very good and I hope, each from 68SMD is so strong as each from mine 38 SMD. In such case those 68SMD it will be best leds available on market.

If you receive, please give answer how bright are they and if it will be posible, measure consumed power
I had 38 SMD in for a couple weeks then came across the 68. I figured, what the heck, I'll give them a shot. They are a good bit brighter and fill the housing much better. As far as any kind of illumination on the road, there is no change, but they are brighter when looking at the bike from the front.
I'm not sure if it's the 30 more SMDs that make the difference or the fact that both sets were from china and quality control is poor, who knows. I use a 38 in the license plate light now, really cleans and brightens up the look of the back of the bike at night.

#7 ·
Wow lucky me, I am about to make a new thread asking how to change the side bulbs and I see this thread! Could you tell more about how you pulled the bulb out? From the back of the headlight I see the rubber mount with 2 wires, I tried to pull it out but it seems to be stuck and I don't dare to put too much force on it.

#13 ·
Installed leds yesterday!!
Got amber leds for the position lights. I have to say, it looks more aggressive with the amber than it did with the stock bulbs.
I also put a license plate led in.

this is what it looks like now

the difference between the two. i used an iphone 5 for the pics, so they arent that great

close up of the position bulb.

#38 ·
Hey Jaymann,

I haven't done this on my 250 but from experience I can already tell you no, it is not as easy as changing the side bulbs.

The HID bulbs require that you fit a ballast as well. And even more wiring

So you need to modify the rear headlight cover and find a place to mount the ballast and wiring for the conversion to look professional.

I will be doing this conversion at the end of the month and will definitely make a post/tutorial as to how to do it

#20 ·
In our headlight we have main beam with H4 bulb and running lights which uses 2xT10 bulb (W5W - 5watt).

Classical bulbs sucks, so there is worth to change them into leds.

Modification time - 5mins

1. Buy leds there 2 T10 168 194 158 White 38 SMD LED Light Bulb Lamp 12V | eBay (keyword 38 LED T10) - I can recommend seller eleseed which ships during few hours). Those leds are the best I ever bought - they consume 2,5W each, so they are very bright, much brighter than 5W bulbs

2. Then wait 2 weeks for shipment

3. Using hand change bulbs into leds ( you have to unscrew rubber mount)

4. Enjoy modification

Left - LED, right original bulb

Thanks for sharing your views even I prefer using led lights

#22 ·
Yes they will.
BUT!
Check the legality of front facing light colours in your region/country. These will be very noticeable, and if they're illegal you will certainly be pulled over.

#30 ·
I just replaced with white LEDs. Notice how much whiter & brighter they are than the incandescents. The LED was installed on the left side of the bike in this pic. (Right side of pic.)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.