Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Pull Behind Trailer for CBR250R (maybe?)

7K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  mwlehman 
#1 ·
I have been following a facebook page called Moto Mule since last year, watching this guy start this thing. But since its a one man show--my communication with him is very very slow. Not that I'm annoyed by it, I'm just trying to figure out if this is something I could get. His initial response was that he needs measurements and if the CBR250R has a hallow rear axle. So far I've noticed his hitch kit lists are mostly adventure/dual sport motorcycles. I would love a cargo trailer that would extend my carrying beyond my saddle/tail bag luggage.

#2 ·
I honestly wouldn't recommend it on a 250R/A. Though that would depend on the weight of the trailer with the gear and weather or not you changed the gearing on the bike for more acceleration, you'd probably kill the top speed down to 80 or so. I mean it can be done don't get me wrong but its not something I'd personally do with a 250R/A. Now if we're talking something like a 650-700+ then I'd say go for it. Our little CeeBee's don't have what I would consider the torque to pull such an endeavor.

I'm sure someone else with more expertise will chime in but my personal opinion (TLDR): I wouldn't do it/to much money required.

#4 ·
That's odd...because he recorded himself pulling this trailer with a Yamaha 250R. The video shows him just fine in local streets. I should have noted this isn't a heavy/large carrying cargo trailer. Of course, you are right that weight is important and it will lower speed.

#3 ·
I have been following a facebook page called Moto Mule since last year, watching this guy start this thing. But since its a one man show--my communication with him is very very slow. Not that I'm annoyed by it, I'm just trying to figure out if this is something I could get. His initial response was that he needs measurements and if the CBR250R has a hallow rear axle. So far I've noticed his hitch kit lists are mostly adventure/dual sport motorcycles. I would love a cargo trailer that would extend my carrying beyond my saddle/tail bag luggage.
The CBR250R has a solid rear axle, not hollow.

I definitely would not try to pull a cargo trailer with a CBR250R.

#6 ·
Local streets, maybe. Just forget ANY kind of emergency braking or maneuvers.

On the highway (not even interstate) you will have to behave more like a 16' U-Haul, with low gearing and a governor.

I would not wish that on anyone.
I would seriously consider a larger bike for trailer towing. Back in the Eighties, when my 650 BMW was new, there were a lot of trailers on the scene. I looked at them with casual interest, but I knew I would need a 1000cc airhead if I were to be serious.

These days, with modern engine technology, you could get by with less. You are looking for a engine that favors torque over horsepower.

If you are new to motorcycling, there is a high probability that this would end in disaster.
You probably won't be able to find reasonable insurance, at best.

Good luck.

#8 ·

Here is a good page about bike trailers. http://pbmotorcycletrailer.com/sport-bike-motorcycle-trailers/

For the CBR250R, I would want the smallest, shortest trailer that I could find, with two wheels. (smaller than the one pictured above)

I really don't think it would be a good idea to tow a single-track trailer in an urban setting. Just asking for trouble. You might even get to know the local police.

#11 ·
This particular style of hitch, clamping on at the axle, ADDS TO the unsprung weight of the rear wheel assembly.

You would do well to get an understanding of the physics involved. Your life could depend on it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=uns...ome..69i57.28801j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Just as a one-year motorcyclist could not just jump on a sidecar rig and do well, the added tongue weight will make your bike handle strangely at first.

It seems most of these single track trailers evolved from bicycle trailers, and mostly by the adventure bike crowd.

#13 ·
This may be a subjective issue, not readily decidable by analysis or advice.
I have talked to two bikers who pulled one-wheeled trailers a considerable distance.
One said it was simple, and he generally felt no evidence of the trailer's presence.
Another hated it; she parked the trailer not far from her origin, and retrieved it
on the way home. Each of these was riding a machine bigger than our 250s.

I am building a simple two-wheeled trailer to pull behind my CBR-125 or my CBR-250,
and I expect to have no trouble with either, and not to expect much decrease in top speed,
even with the little bike. I will report here; please be patient, because I have lots to do.

Keith

(kfsrq means my initials are KF, and my home is SRQ, which is Sarasota Florida.)

#14 · (Edited)
The concern with trailers is related to the added mass reducing your braking capability and the positioning of that mass with respect to the rear attachment point (trailer ball) when you have to stop in a hurry. The trailer can drive the rear end sideways if it has a significant load and is not inline with the bikes front and rear wheels.

The two wheel trailer is more likely to cause a problem than the single wheeled mule that we've been looking at.

#16 ·
I'm not sure why so many of you think a CBR250R can't handle a trailer, the one pictured looks quite small and lightweight. Our bikes are built with a pillion seat which would suggest that Honda expect the bike to be ridden with a combined rider and pillion load of the order of 200kg. The exact maximum permitted load is in the owner's manual but I don't have that to hand. If the OP is riding solo then towing a trailer and payload with a combined weight of 100kg should be well within the bike's capabilities.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.