My progress thread - Page 8 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by xda2o2 View Post
no plans drawn up yet. i think the arduino is the way to go for onboard computers due to the amount of add ons. With a gps shield and the 16x2 display you can easily display speed.

The idea behind a HUD is to negate the need to look down at the dash. Space is in short supply inside your helmet, a 3x2 display would be even better. im thinking of the sort of info i would want to see (speed, indicator left on, black ice, phone ringing, whos ringing).

endless ideas,

With a gprs shield you could send pre-determined texts via button presses.

with a gps shield you could make a homemade tracking kit which could send gps coordinates via a gprs shield to an email or phone.

bonkers

chris

checkout recon googles
Ill look into using an arduino shield for a HUD. keep me posted on what you end up doing.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 12:08 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnMonk View Post
Everything was sterilized, including the table that I dropped the chip on. This is not an open surgery. Needs little more preparation than a flu shot. Everything was autoclaved and the table and surfaces were wiped down with lemon based cleaners and 90% alcohol.
More than enough for this kind of procedure.
Not open surgery? It's an invasive procedure, introducing foreign bodies directly into your blood stream. What more do you think it takes to get an infection? Seriously, for your own good health, if you are going to do things like this, study up on correct sterilization process and handling procedure, then examine your technique. You are absolutely correct that your implant requires no more care than a flu shot. It's not that I don't doubt that certain key things weren't properly sterilized. I'll take your word on that. It's just that your technique, as shown, leaves the door wide open for contamination. It only takes one fleeting mistake, one miniscule oversight, to cause big problems. For example...

The needle was placed on the towel. Was the towel sterilized? If it was, your forearms are resting all over it. Were your arms sterilized up to the elbows? Was the exterior of the tube of ointment you held in your right hand sterilized? Because you then went on to insert the chip into the needle with your right hand. You touched the needle repeatedly, apparently for no other reason than good luck, after having touched the tube, towel, Q-tips, plastic bags, multiple ink pens... the list goes on. All it takes is for any one of those to be contaminated and not properly sterilized to contain a pathogen, and color me skeptic, but I doubt every one of those things you touched was sterile. Your handling techniques would garner you a "FAIL" rating, even for administering a flu shot.

You can die from an infection caused by an ill-prepared skin puncture just as surely as an "open surgury." I knew a patient who thought it would be cool to have her nipples pierced. Definitely not major surgery, but a week after, she had to be hospitalized for over a week, enduring massive doses of antibiotics, or she would have died from the infection that went septic in her blood, stemming from nothing more than a skin puncture. All I am saying is, when you make the comment, "It's not open surgery," you are underestimating how little it takes to end your stay here on earth. Study up on your technique if you are going to continue poking yourself.

Last edited by Turbo DV8; 11-02-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-02-2012, 08:59 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo DV8 View Post
Not open surgery? It's an invasive procedure, introducing foreign bodies directly into your blood stream. What more do you think it takes to get an infection? Seriously, for your own good health, if you are going to do things like this, study up on correct sterilization process and handling procedure, then examine your technique. You are absolutely correct that your implant requires no more care than a flu shot. It's not that I don't doubt that certain key things weren't properly sterilized. I'll take your word on that. It's just that your technique, as shown, leaves the door wide open for contamination. It only takes one fleeting mistake, one miniscule oversight, to cause big problems. For example...

The needle was placed on the towel. Was the towel sterilized? If it was, your forearms are resting all over it. Were your arms sterilized up to the elbows? Was the exterior of the tube of ointment you held in your right hand sterilized? Because you then went on to insert the chip into the needle with your right hand. You touched the needle repeatedly, apparently for no other reason than good luck, after having touched the tube, towel, Q-tips, plastic bags, multiple ink pens... the list goes on. All it takes is for any one of those to be contaminated and not properly sterilized to contain a pathogen, and color me skeptic, but I doubt every one of those things you touched was sterile. Your handling techniques would garner you a "FAIL" rating, even for administering a flu shot.

You can die from an infection caused by an ill-prepared skin puncture just as surely as an "open surgury." I knew a patient who thought it would be cool to have her nipples pierced. Definitely not major surgery, but a week after, she had to be hospitalized for over a week, enduring massive doses of antibiotics, or she would have died from the infection that went septic in her blood, stemming from nothing more than a skin puncture. All I am saying is, when you make the comment, "It's not open surgery," you are underestimating how little it takes to end your stay here on earth. Study up on your technique if you are going to continue poking yourself.

You must have been watching the first video. Yea that one was less than satisfactory.

Still enough 90% alcohol floating around during that one, that I wasnt worried though.

And hey thats life. I dont want to live past 30, so if I get infected now, it just accelerates that process, not a big deal.

-Scott
Old 11-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #74

I absolutely admire your ingenuity and do-it-yourself spirit.

That said, you don't need to be all logan's run about 30. Nothing magically happens that makes life start sucking. Just keep your spirit and the number of times you've circled the sun doesn't really matter.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jasinner For This Useful Post:
Jme250RA (11-08-2012), Kit (01-26-2013), loloyd (06-27-2013), shisoshin (01-12-2013)
Old 11-03-2012, 01:55 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnMonk View Post
Alright need some final advice on the colors in this photo:

Should I do the fuel tank, undercowl and the metal bar red?

I feel like the under cowl would end up getting scratched up and the paint coming off, I think that one should stay black?
Since you're asking - IMO - less is more. Something about what you've chosen to color red and what you're leaving black just feels very haphazard to me, doesn't flow. Photoshop some more ideas before committing to one (the old measure twice / cut once rule).

The lower / under cowls should be left raw - trust me you'll be touching up that area every month.

Wheels - it's just too much. How about all black, but with a red line around the outside edge. Something around 1/4" thick.

Seat - either do both in red or leave both black.

Again, just giving my humble opinion since you're asking. For my taste, if I wanted to add color, I'd be much more subtle about it. Black bike with red *accents*. All-black wheels with red outline striping, red clutch & brake levers, red fuel lid, red & black grips, red oil cap, red brake reservoir caps, red tank pad, etc.

There's no right or wrong answer here, it's all subjective. Keep us posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCBR View Post
Since you're asking - IMO - less is more. Something about what you've chosen to color red and what you're leaving black just feels very haphazard to me, doesn't flow. Photoshop some more ideas before committing to one (the old measure twice / cut once rule).

The lower / under cowls should be left raw - trust me you'll be touching up that area every month.

Wheels - it's just too much. How about all black, but with a red line around the outside edge. Something around 1/4" thick.

Seat - either do both in red or leave both black.

Again, just giving my humble opinion since you're asking. For my taste, if I wanted to add color, I'd be much more subtle about it. Black bike with red *accents*. All-black wheels with red outline striping, red clutch & brake levers, red fuel lid, red & black grips, red oil cap, red brake reservoir caps, red tank pad, etc.

There's no right or wrong answer here, it's all subjective. Keep us posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
The wheels are supposed to be all black with red reflective striping along the edge, I just suck at photoshop.

And I would go with clutch and brake levers and all that stuff, but motorcycle part manufactures overcharge for all the stuff.

I am not paying $170 for <$4 worth of metal, id rather throw some paint on a few parts.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #77

Old 11-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #78

Nice!
Old 01-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #79

Havnt worked on the bike much, but I brought it in from the mud and rain and took a quick pic for ya.

Last edited by UnMonk; 01-12-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #80

The RFID thing, I thought was a joke when I seen it on the forum newletter in my inbox. Guess you were for reals about it. I'm def sure I would never get that done, and if I ever found a need for it, I like the idea someone had about having it on a bracelet.

About the person giving you a hard time about sanitation; I work in a pretty nasty environment (raw poultry) as a electrician/mechanic and couldn't count the number of times I stabbed/cut/pierced myself either by my own tools or on a dirty piece of sharp metal. Most times, I would just wrap it up with paper towel and electrical tape. Sometimes wouldn't have time to wash it before wrapping. And I'm not talking scratches, I'm talking dripping blood. If your profession is in giving shots or performing operations, then sanitizing is probably more for your protection against malpractice suits. Other than that, people get cut/stabbed/pierced everyday by accident without sanitation. I, for one, believe in the human immune system. And you did more sanitization than something that would happen by accident.

On the GPS thing, I agreed when someone mentioned having a screen would distract you. I mean, that's your call, I don't know how focused you are as a driver. Personally, I have an iPhone and use that for GPS. I use Google Maps app, and plug in some earbuds. The phone goes in my pocket and I can still hear the directions.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fenix For This Useful Post:
loloyd (06-27-2013), UnMonk (01-16-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement