Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Kickstarter First Look - CBR250R GPS Mount

12K views 37 replies 20 participants last post by  CBR_Dave 
#1 ·
Hey Fellas, and Ladies. I'm launching a Kickstarter project that that has been submitted but not accepted yet. This is a private preview of something I came up with when I was trying to find a decent solution for mounting my GPS to my CBR250R. I've only posted once before, but know that I'm not spamming. I've gotten some great advice on this forum and that led to the mods I have on my bike. Hope you check it out, and please spread the word. I think Kickstarter should approve it and I can let it go live this week sometime.

ROCKET-RAIL Sport Motorcycle GPS and Accessory Mount by James W. Kondrat — Kickstarter

Jim

#5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. If you haven't taken a look at the video, it's worth a watch. A GoPro HERO 3 is mounted and you can see a bit of vibration that I discuss before the ride and how it might be lessoned. Frankly, I'm pretty happy with the stability, the roads I chose are pretty rough and I was traveling between 40-55mph most of the ride.

#4 · (Edited)
Interesting, but I have to ask, why not just use the RAM fork stem mount? I have one on my bike and it performs the same task pretty much flawlessly.

EDIT: Hmm ok I didn't look through all the pics the first time -- the ability to use adhesive mounts as well (on the extra space of this mount) is a nice concept/idea.

#8 ·
Thanks for your interest. Right now I'm going the Kickstarter route, MSRP is $80 but it's $60 through Kickstarter. For a CBR250R ROCKET-RAIL I will be able to ship early spring. I decided not to sell direct until after funding because that would just eat into the snowball effect that needs to happen for a Kickstarter project to get funded. Hope you understand.

#14 ·
Looks good, Jim! Very nice design and I think it would look great in the anodized colors you mentioned.

(My internal grammar policeman cringed every time you said, "either." Either implies one or the other, but not both. Each is the word you were looking for there :p Sorry.)

If I were in the market for such a product I would definitely contribute, however, at this time I am not. Good luck with your pledges. Oh, and nice shop! I wish I could accumulate all of those machines you have. I'm very jealous.

#15 ·
Very nice! I have been after a way to mount my iPhone that doesn't use the ram mount (I dont want to screw a ram mount into the nut on the stem), as well as mount a camera. This does it all!

Both a mate and I have pledged...looking forwards to a couple of units arriving in Australia! Hope it's a success, and that you make one for the CBR500R in the future ;-)

Dave

#20 ·
Always great to see new innovation..Not something I would be personally interested in for $80 especially since my Ram stem mount and my Ram double ball clutch mount serves all my purposes well, including mounting my contour roam just barely above the windscreen while leaving the mic hole below it....but a neat concept none the less.

#21 ·
The goal is high, and on purpose. I'm offering to make this for, by request, every bike out there in less than a year. I needed to make sure that I would be able to buy the material, parts, hire a couple guys, and travel to where I needed to find examples of the bikes I needed to measure.

This will still get made, but at a slower pace, without Kickstarter.

#29 ·
I kickedstarted! I wonder if it would help to create a physical measurement tool that you could effectively send to a bike rider, allow them to "fit" it to their bike and send it back to you to fabricate the part. A process similar in nature to making a custom mold of your foot for a custom fit shoe. The payment could happen up front for the tool rental, and then once they obtain and confirm it fits on their stock bike, you could keep those measurements for others with that same setup.
Custom etched designs , or even if you had name engraving (like "property of <name>" would be cool as people might get more excited about custom stuff, especially in the motorcycle space. I'd take one either way and echo the fact that you have a pretty awesome shop to make this kind of thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.