Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

New owner from Florida

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  kfsrq 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. Just picked up a 2012 CBR250R. Sold my H-D and thought I'd try life without a bike, well that lasted about a year. Evaluating what I wanted or needed in a bike led me to this little Honda. Look forward to enjoying this forum and this bike.

#4 · (Edited)
Welcome Lotar. 250 cc bikes are quite practical and can do anything the bigger ones do, just sometimes a tad slower. I rode 200-250 cc bikes for over 50 years before falling victim to a practical larger bike.

{oopsie, there was a 100 cc Hodaka Ace in there too}

#6 ·
Lotar, welcome aboard! The CBR250R is a wonderful bike and a real hoot to ride. The only thing I could criticize it for is its smaller size - - I'm a bigger person and it's just a bit small for me, frame size-wise.

#8 ·
everyone and everything - including motorcycles - have their
features and advantages, including this excellent honda..
from easy of maneuvering and parking in tight parks
to filtering in traffic and general competent performance
off the mark [at lights between cars etc] and braking..

for me with yoshi rearset plates [better knee etc flexure]
louder horn, good tyres and lightweight slip-on
this is a beautiful motorcycle,, on the go or parked..
[also long term motorcyclist, 7 hondas etc, incl
last two larger being 750/4's - for highway runs etc]

sounds simple but your expectations and how you
approach this motorcycle will determine what
you get out of it her..
while not a matter of rejecting or comparing to hd
it does mean starting fresh, as if a young novice,
developing appropriate riding habits for this,
motorcyle,, rather than bending or adapting
old perhaps excellent habits from h-d's etc..

its so well balanced, light and stable that this
overrides the otherwise need for weight
to create stability,, including in strong braking
and setting up for corners or overtakes etc..

first bike back after a break i took her/myself to
a quiet carpark and tested us both in braking,
riding circles/figure 8's, very slow riding
[slow walking pace] and thru boxes..

altho you cant help activating those countless
gear changing etc habits ingrained in brain,
other small things to do with moving around
and relative body positioning etc, are all
up for grabs if starting out as if,,
a rational competent novice..

[the 286cc '300' model variant shares all
the good things plus extra torque..
well worth consideration as another
small bike alternative]

first things first tho mate,
youre back in the saddle..

#11 ·
Lotar, I suppose you are getting more and more accustomed to your CBR-250. I have had mine for a while, and I am impressed by its capability on expressways. I have ridden from Sarasota to Orlando on I-75 and I-4, generally staying between 75 and 85 MPH indicated (I suspect the speedometer reads high, because they generally do). The bike seems to be able to endure such speeds all day, and I am glad, because I may need to ride mine from Ontario to Sarasota next spring.

The directions for changing oil are a tad over-complicated. At one point we are told
to remove a piece of fairing; it suffices to bend it slightly to get it out of the way.

I cut a chunk of 2x2 lumber that I use to support the right side of the swing-arm when cleaning or lubricating the chain. By tilting the bike leftwards onto its stand, I can put the stick under the swing-arm right at the axle. The wheel is clear of the ground and I can service the chain with ease.

For long rides, I strap or tape a cushion onto the seat. It's not elegant, but it makes a great difference to my comfort. My bones are older than yours, so you may not need this advice ... but I hope that you will in the future.

Good luck!
Keith

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.