Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Just installed China CNC shorty levers

9K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  cbrlocal 
#1 ·
And I have to say they look great. They fit great. Nice and tight. The key thing I think I have noticed about these levers from China is that there are two types: One with two adjuster support rings, and another with just one. The latter seems to have loose adjusters and cheaper, more flawed CNC machining. The former seems to be the one to go with. I have pictures of both kinds listed below, the first of which seems to be the better quality lever.

Good: These also usually have writing to the tone of "A10-70" on the allen screws in the lever.

Bad: These usually have blank allen screws with no writing on them.

Mine are of the first type, fit very tight, have great finish and anodizing, and the adjusters are very precise and lubed. They were a perfect fit, no fitting issues.

So this brings me to both the conclusion and to the part where I ask other people with adjustable levers a small question: On the clutch side, it seems on my bike that my protective rubber boot for the clutch cable adjuster nut gets in the way of my adjuster on my lever and also prevents the lever from wanting to return to a full neutral position. It seems the only remedy is to either slide the boot further down the cable cover, or cut the boot. I don't want to do either since they both look kind of stupid, but for now, it's slid further down the cable. Anyone had this issue? I can take pics if needed.

See less See more
#3 ·
So this brings me to both the conclusion and to the part where I ask other people with adjustable levers a small question: On the clutch side, it seems on my bike that my protective rubber boot for the clutch cable adjuster nut gets in the way of my adjuster on my lever and also prevents the lever from wanting to return to a full neutral position. It seems the only remedy is to either slide the boot further down the cable cover, or cut the boot. I don't want to do either since they both look kind of stupid, but for now, it's slid further down the cable. Anyone had this issue? I can take pics if needed.
I have the same ones except black. I have the clutch adjusted to "3" I think so it sits under the boot. Doesn't move the adjustment arm. :)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#4 ·
Yep; it wants to sit under the boot, but as you said it doesn't move the adjuster. The springs are nice and stiff so that's good. But it does kind of look like crap, and if you want to make an on the fly adjustment, makes that impossible. Still works fine no issues, but I'm kind of OCD I guess. :)

#8 ·
Umm. I just searched "CNC shorty cbr250r" I believe. Was $30 shipped from Hong Kong. :p

#11 ·
My colors have faded off of my lever brackets anyway. They're not a shiny black anymore; more of a matte black. I need to take them off and sand them, then put a nice thin coat of rustoleum on them. Bring the new bike shine back! :)

What's bad is my bike is always inside; not sure how they faded like that so quickly.

#12 ·
Interesting thread. I just received mine from Ebay(Chinese). They seems to be the "good" ones the OP showed with the double adjuster rings. Brake went on fine, but the clutch will not fit. The bolt will not thread. Guess I have to sand them down. So getting the double adjuster is no guarantee of a perfect fit.

#13 ·
I didn't have a round file handy. Wrapped some fine grit sandpaper around a screwdriver and slid it in/out the hole on the clutch lever. Fits snug now. :)

#20 ·
Put some medium strength (blue) threadlock on it if it won't stay. I never had a problem with it coming off, but I can't remember if it had a lock washer on it too.

#22 ·
That doesn't sound satisfactory to me, cford. I think I would try to locate a shoulder bolt so that I could fully tighten the nut without compressing the lever. Are you sure there is not supposed to be a bushing in there to stop the compression?

These Chinese levers make me nervous. The levers are essential controls and as such are safety-critical on a motorcycle.

#23 ·
Low-Profile Shoulder Screws

Scroll down to find metric sizes in Low Profile (Ultra Low Profile not available in metric). They have shoulder diameters of 4mm, 5mm, 6mm and 8mm in shoulder lengths of 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 8mm, and 10mm. Larger sizes also listed but these are probably close to what is needed. Ideally the shoulder will be just a bit longer than the thickness of the levers they are retaining so that there is some clearance for them to move.

These are stainless steel so they won't rust. I would also get stainless steel nylon locknuts to match the threads on the screw portion.

#26 ·
Chinese levers don't come with hardware; they use the factory bolt, which looks similar to the ones you posted.

Cford, tightening the screw should not pinch the lever because of the design of the bolt; I'd remove and reinstall and make sure everything is lined up and your clutch cable is adjusted properly. Put some locktite on the nut on the bottom and tighten well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.