CBR250R Touring Saddlebag and Tailbag System - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2011, 11:07 PM   #1

Default CBR250R Touring Saddlebag and Tailbag System

If anyone is interested in touring with their CBR250R, here is a system that I think will work well. I've used it on a 3200km camping trip across Ontario on my CBR125R and plan to use it on a similar camping trip to Toronto on my CBR250R at the end of this month.

A few months ago I purchased the larger Nelson-Rigg Saddlebags for my CBR250R found here:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...addlebags.aspx

These will allow me to carry more gear and to keep the heavier stuff lower on the bike. I really like how easy and convenient the Nelson-Rigg system works and how well the clips made all my gear feel secure on my CBR125R. Based on suggestions found on adventure riding forums, I have replaced my Nelson Rigg Tail Bag with a waterproof duffel bag found here:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products

The straps on the Cabelas duffel bag conveniently connect with the Nelson-Rigg saddles - like they were made for each other. However, if you went this way too, you would have to change-out the side release buckles on the duffel so that they mate properly with the Nelson-Rigg saddles. I just removed the ones from the Nelson-Rigg tailbag and attached them to the duffel bag. The duffel has about twice as much room as the Nelson-Rigg tailbag, it is waterproof (so no more fooling around with waterproof covers), and soft shelled (so easier to fit certain items), has a nice blue reflective coating for visibility, and a more comfortable (softer) wedge against my back while riding. The duffel also has a convenient carrying handle for times when you need to move the bag around.

Now that I have the CBR250R in my possession, I took a few photos today of the bike with my new Nelson-Rigg Silver Streak saddlebags and Cabela's waterproof duffle-bag attached. I added a few items to the duffle to fill it out a bit. The saddles and duffle fit even better on the CBR250R as it is larger than the CBR125R. My short kayak ratcheting ropes help ensure the load is secure.

I had to pass the forward saddlebag strap under the seat and the rear stap over the seat (instead of both under the seat like with my CBR125R). It still feels very secure.

The bags look larger on the bike than they do in real-life.

Mike

Last edited by CBR250R; 06-04-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to CBR250R For This Useful Post:
miprofessor (06-04-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2011, 11:10 PM   #2

WowiewowieWOW! Can't wait to read about your next trip report. (hoping you do that again ) Thanks for posting the pics. Looks great and like you are set!

Still got room for your cot, tent, and mattress?

I saw a rack made to fasten to the rear hand grips on another forum. Looks like the beginnings of a more finished design yet to come that will allow something like a milk crate and such to be bungeed easily to. finally - a rear rack...!...!

Did you use a rear rack on the 125?

Last edited by Dave101; 06-03-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-03-2011, 11:18 PM   #3

Garage

Holy crap! 3200km? That's awesome man! Can't wait to hear your report.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave101 View Post
WowiewowieWOW! Can't wait to read about your next trip report. Thanks for posting the pics. Looks like you are set!

Still got room for your cot, tent, and matress?
Ha..ha.. Yeah - I've realized that I can't do without those items now. I feel spoiled. Like Karl Malden said - I don't leave home without it. I actually look forward now to sleeping on my sleeping pad/cot combo at the end of a adventurous, yet tiring day on the road. It feels like I am sleeping in a real bed. Waking up fresh and rested also keeps my spirits and sense of adventure up - and from a safety perspective - a well rested rider is an alert rider. I recently purchased a Nemo Cosmo Insulated Sleeping Pad. This might be my new favourite mattress. I plan to take it with me. I wrote a review of it on Amazon.com here:

Amazon Amazon

There is just enough room left on the passenger grab rails to attach my cot. The extra size of the CBR250R makes packing the bike much easier. And I should have almost twice the volume/capacity with this system compared to the similar setup on my CBR125R.

Mike

Last edited by CBR250R; 06-04-2011 at 12:13 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0rM View Post
Holy crap! 3200km? That's awesome man! Can't wait to hear your report.
Just in case you missed it - here is a link to my 3200km camping trip on my CBR125R from last year using a similar setup to the one above. On the first page you can see the the saddlebag setup. I used the Nelson-Rigg tailbag and it worked great. However, I was looking for something waterproof and with a larger capacity. That is why I went with the Cabelas waterproof duffle.

Trip Report: 3200 KM Camping Trip - Part I - Honda CBR125R Community Forum

Quote:
Did you use a rear rack on the 125?
No - I didn't use any rack with the CBR125R. It would definitely be an option if I were to bring a passenger along. Now that would require some creative packing! However, I like the idea of keeping the weight as low as possible on the bike so I don't upset the bike's handling characteristics too much.

Mike
Old 06-03-2011, 11:52 PM   #6

thats insane! i have been having daydreams about taking my cbr250 camping, but just wasn't sure if it could hold enough gear, now i know it can. Great work, hope you don't get blown around too much!
Old 06-03-2011, 11:54 PM   #7

The amazon link didn't work for me but I googled it and found your review right away. With the information you provided in your 3200k trip I know what I want to do, should I try this. Let me know if you try another tent out. I don't think the one you used on the prior trip report is still available. Really appreciate you sharing links to the items your using. I hope to be a copy cat someday.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:24 AM   #8

Quote:
The amazon link didn't work for me but I googled it and found your review right away. With the information you provided in your 3200k trip I know what I want to do, should I try this. Let me know if you try another tent out. I don't think the one you used on the prior trip report is still available. Really appreciate you sharing links to the items your using. I hope to be a copy cat someday.
Hi Dave,

Are you referring to the Nemo Andi single-walled tent I used on that trip? I've noticed as well that it doesn't seem to be available anymore. I really like mine. Really quick to setup - only two poles!!! Packs really small. Well made. Lightweight. Can be used for backpacking as well. No fly to setup (thus saving time and effort, and no worries of losing the fly), completely waterproof. One downfall of single-walled tents appears to be condensation due to a lack of ventilation. But this isn't an issue in the climate zones I tend to ride in. I believe the Nemo Nano Elite on the Nemo homepage is essentially the same tent as the Andi.

Mike

Last edited by CBR250R; 06-04-2011 at 12:38 AM.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:32 AM   #9

Thanks Mike. I will check it out. It is hard to find just the right tent that packs down so small.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:39 AM   #10

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR250R View Post
Just in case you missed it - here is a link to my 3200km camping trip on my CBR125R from last year using a similar setup to the one above. On the first page you can see the the saddlebag setup. I used the Nelson-Rigg tailbag and it worked great. However, I was looking for something waterproof and with a larger capacity. That is why I went with the Cabelas waterproof duffle.

Trip Report: 3200 KM Camping Trip - Part I - Honda CBR125R Community Forum
Thanks man! Going to read it now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement