Stripped bar end screw - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #1

Default Stripped bar end screw

So I installed my oxford heaterz Saturday and ended up stripping out the head of the brake side bar end screw when I decided to give the corded drill a go on it. I went to the hardware store and got a screw extractor and it actually removed the chuck from my drill (its ok, I hate that thing). I was able to get the screw out using the screw extractor and some locking pliers and a rag around the bar end locked down with more pliers.

The clutch side was not nearly as bad but did give some trouble.

At the hardware store they didnt have a matching screw so I ended up with a bolt which looks really bad. Anyone know where I can get some new screws? Or should I just take this opportunity to get some new bar ends?

The new grips are great btw. I just need new gloves now since the backs are mesh.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 12:26 PM   #2

Garage

Can't help you with your actual issue. I thought the topic was something COMPLETELY different

Bring us back to where they've led
Listen not to what's been said to you
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to Empty Sea For This Useful Post:
Jme250RA (10-30-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
Super Moderator

You've got to be carefull with those because most people don't have a #1 Phillips bit and are tempted to use the standard #2 and end up stripping it out. I would go to the Honda dealer. They should only be a couple bucks.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #4

Definitely order yourself a new screw from a Honda dealer, either online or local. $3 Part #90191-KYJ-900

And while a lot of folks have $200 impact wrenches these days, I am not one of them.
This is what I use to remove stubborn screws:

$13 from this guy: Yamaha XS650 Impact Screwdriver with bit set - Mikes XS - New OEM & Vintage Parts Supply Warehouse
It's a really nice kit and has just the right size bit to fit these screws.

I just put on a set of Oxfords myself, today.
I had to have my nephew come over yesterday to help with the bar-ends.
I heated up the screw head because I really thought I was going to find Lock-tite in there. I didn't. But the 2nd one didn't budge until we heated it, too.
Anyway, I put on a pair of gloves and held the bar-end in place while Mitch smacked the hell out of the impact screwdriver with a 5 pound sledge.

As mentioned - the key to not stripping Phillips head screws is having the correct size bit.
Before things get too bad, you can always get an impact screwdriver (w/correct bit) and put some valve grinding paste on the tip on the bit. That helps to grip the head a little better.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to don'tpanic For This Useful Post:
lenbrinke (10-30-2012), shisoshin (10-30-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies guys. Ill just leave the bolt in while I wait on a few new sets of screws to come in. I will also have to invest in that impact set at some point. I imagine it will come in handy.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #6

I am putting together an order of small parts for my first "factory" order.
I want to get a complete assortment of those plastic body fasteners. I think there are about 3 different styles used. I also need to get a replacement screw for the lower rear spot on my left under-engine fairing. It vibrated out before my first service. I had something on hand that fit. I also want to get a couple of the rubber washers that Honda uses to isolate the horn bracket. I think they would be good to use to take up the slack on the bottom front fastener of the left & right main fairing panels.

Stuff like that!
Old 11-22-2012, 11:10 AM   #7

Attempted to install my heated grips. I have successfully remove the brake side's bar end weight with harbor fright's $5 strap wrench.

While attempting to remove the the clutch side, I have stripped the bolt
Untitled.jpg

I do have a bolt extractor. Think it is too big as it just spins and won't latch on when I tried to remove the bolt. Does anyone have recommendation on what bolt extractor I can use to extract this screw? Size, part number, where to buy?

Last edited by eluo; 11-22-2012 at 11:11 AM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 11-22-2012, 11:50 AM   #8

Just watch Youtube videos and realized that I need to drill a hole first before using the bolt extractor. I'll give this a try tomorrow. Time to enjoy Thanksgiving with my family.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:48 AM   #9

I have an electric impact driver that I had to use on mine. It got them out fine, but on a mates I have to actually tighten one side up first. I went nuts on it trying to loosen it (it was the clutch side I think) and it didn't want to budge so I tightened it up a bit first and then loosened it and it came off fine. I can't get over how tight they are especially for having no thread locking compound on them...
The Following User Says Thank You to bods For This Useful Post:
eluo (11-23-2012)
Old 11-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bods View Post
I have an electric impact driver that I had to use on mine. It got them out fine, but on a mates I have to actually tighten one side up first. I went nuts on it trying to loosen it (it was the clutch side I think) and it didn't want to budge so I tightened it up a bit first and then loosened it and it came off fine. I can't get over how tight they are especially for having no thread locking compound on them...
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try to tighten then loosing before resorting to the bolt extractor.

For anyone in the US looking low cost replacement bar end screws,
PowersportsPlus.com - OEM Powersports Parts from Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha at discounts up to 80% off MSRP sells it for $0.55 and shipping is $1.75 for any order under $10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement