Cheap brake pads? - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 11:48 AM   #1

Default Cheap brake pads?

I was scouring the web for new pads and stumbled upon this set. For both front and rear, only 30 bucks after shipping and taxes? Anyone have experience with these? Apparently they're made by Volar.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #2

I haven't used those brand nor have I had enough time and experience with motorcycle pads but I have had experience with kevlar carbon pads on my car. They do the job and offer way more stopping power than ceramic pads. Beware, they will grind the F out of your rotors. I had to replace my rotors on my '03 pontiac grand am after only having them on for a year. It wasn't even like I was driving a lot or braking hard either so I guess you have to get special rotors for them or something. My 2 cents.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-15-2012, 12:27 AM   #3

I ended up going with these pads both front and rear. For some reason, they say non-abs but list under abs. I don't know how it's going to wear the rotor or the life of the pads but the stock pads could use a little more bite. I suppose using the OEM pads with a stainless steel brake line would give adequate feel but I'm not ready to do that juuuuuust yet.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Just remember, the O-rings on the space shuttle were made by the lowest bidder! When it comes to brakes, I don't look to save money.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jme250RA For This Useful Post:
Aufitt (11-16-2012), shisoshin (11-16-2012)
Old 11-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #5

Thanked 2,659 Times in 1,200 Posts

'Cheap'

'Brake pads'

Just NO.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aufitt For This Useful Post:
Jme250RA (11-16-2012)
Old 11-16-2012, 11:06 AM   #6

Thanked 1,489 Times in 762 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufitt View Post
'Cheap'

'Brake pads'

Just NO.
+1 I've used cheap brake pads in the past, and found they're ususally thinner than stock and don't last as long. The brakes are reasonably good on this bike. I have heard horror stories of the pad material detatching from the metal backing on some cheap brands. Stick with stock, it's not worth skimping on safety, and they're probably not that expensive anyway.

Click for mpg >>> http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/489745.html
Old 11-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,130 Times in 1,589 Posts

I'm not in any way directing this at the OP, but this thread is a good opportunity to say it:
We see far too many new riders here willing (and able) to throw untold amounts of money at all sorts of anodized/powder coated/cosmetic farkles and bling, only to cheap out on something so important as brake pads, or tires. It really blows my mind.

When it comes to things like brakes, tires, or just proper maintenance in general... Cheap hurts.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MotoMike For This Useful Post:
Aufitt (11-16-2012), firstcbr (11-23-2012), Jme250RA (11-16-2012), shisoshin (11-16-2012), Wynne G Oldman (11-16-2012)
Old 11-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #8

I have more money in my braking system on my race bike than I do anything else....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement