Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

lower wider pegs

7K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  MotoMike 
#1 ·
Just a heads up, I will be testing out new comfort/touring style pegs from Precision Engineering in about a week.

These will not be track pegs as they will be lower and wider then stock pegs.

The final product will be black anodized.

Photo of the initial shop sample they are sending me:

See less See more
#2 ·
Engineering samples installed, I get my armored pants back tomorrow afternoon (needed a new zip) so I'll be able to ride this weekend to test out these new pegs.
Just sitting on the bike they feel nice, should be less pressure on the arches on longer rides.

#8 ·
In both my posts I've made it pretty clear how I would use these: commute/comfort/distance, not racing w/ rear sets.

"These will not be track pegs as they will be lower and wider then stock pegs"

"should be less pressure on the arches on longer rides"
Every non-race boot out there has the shift protector starting around the top of the ball of the foot with the center of the shift-protector about 1" in front of the ball for correct arch-over-the-pegs-defensive-"cover you controls" street riding. I think you'd be hard pressed to find many street boots that have the shift protector at the tip that would coincide with a ball-of-the-foot peg placement. I guess motorcycle street gear manufactures haven't gotten the "universally accepted" memo either.

Anywho, let us un-'jack this thread and get back on topic.

I road today despite not having all my gear & the black ice; the pegs are awesome, they have great support, and provide excellent grip. I will just need to lower the controls about 0.5" to match the slightly lowered foot placement.

#5 ·
I wasn't suggesting riding with the heel of your foot on the peg. The ball of the foot is the widest part of the foot, between the toes and the arch.

Hey, ride with your feet behind your ears for all I care :p... it doesn't change the fact that placement of the ball of the foot on the pegs is universally accepted as the correct foot position on a motorcycle.

#6 ·
Mike wasn't trying to tell you what to do. Just trying to pass along a tip.
There are several good reasons to ride with the balls of the feet on the pegs.
I won't get into them as they would obviously not be wanted nor appreciated.

The pegs look good by the way :)
I remember P E from my Buell days. They make great stuff.

#10 ·
Did I mention how cool it is that PE is making stuff for the 250?
My only experience with them has been for Buell related items but I can not stress enough how top notch everything from them was.

Looking forward to further updates on these pegs. A few members have been asking about lower pegs. I think these might become a hot commodity:)

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

#12 ·
I finally got around to adjusting the controls; pro-tip, do not forget to lock your shifter adjustment nuts prior to riding, it makes for an interesting time in traffic. My inseam is about 33-34", so with stock pegs I have to put the controls down pretty ******************** far, and even then I really wanted more room. With the new pegs, I ended up moving the shift linkage on the shift shaft, removing the lock nut on the brake-pedal adjustment, and finally I cut off 1/16" off the end of the brake-pedal adjustment bolt (off the flat part at the end). That brake-pedal adjustment is a PITA, as the nut to adjust is fairly small height-wise, so you a normal wrench is hard to get in there, I ended up just taking the entire assembly off to adjust it.

At the end of the day, these make for some comfortable ******************** pegs/controls, about 1/2"-3/4" lower for your foot, but with the same clearance of stock pegs (maybe better clearance, since they do not have the sacrificial grind-nut).

These are pre-production samples, so I am not sure what more has to be tested, what cost will be, or when they will start selling them, but I can post up here when/if I hear more.

#16 ·
for sake of arguement, try jumping off the ground from your heels then try jumping from the balls of your feet. the balls of your feet give you much more control and range of movement than your arches or heels. as a result, this helps you shift your weight more efficiently on the bike helping with control and handling. These attributes are mostly highlighted by racing but that doesn't make them less desirable for everyday riding. If you don't believe me, try it for a couple days. it makes no difference in shifting or braking reaction times and is easier on the knees when lifting your butt off the seat while riding over train tracks and rough ground.

#17 ·
That's all very well if you're riding like a racer on the road, but I would argue that you're going to be putting yourself in far more danger riding like that, than taking it easy, with the arches of your feet on the pegs. I suppose that it'd come in handy if I ever needed to jump off my bike, but I don't tend to make a habit of doing that. :D

#19 ·
Umm... the OP has made it clear he's not interested in foot placement advice.

Right or wrong (I'm not judging), he's a grown man. Shouldn't we at least try to respect his decision?

You can only offer advice to those that want it. Trying to force it usually nets the opposite results.

I believe we're talking about lower pegs....

#22 ·
All in all, I don't care how people ride their bikes. It's no skin off my nose but I must be devils advocate due to the amount of new riders out there who need to know there is more than one way to ride a bike.

I appreciate the amount of work involved in designing and producing a quality product such as these pegs. they look great and it looks as though they will still fold up if dragged. with them being lower than the stock pegs, that was the only safety concern I could see. That being said, they are great pegs but I will never use them.

#23 ·
Wynne,

Did you not notice that almost every link is a rider forum; this riding sytle appears to be universally accepted by a portion of the riding community with no evidence other than "you are not doing it right if you don't ride this way".

Not fact, an opinion or an assumption: Cengage Learning - InfoTrac College Edition - InfoWrite

If you are moving you feet to shift and/or brake, you sacrifice reaction time to gain clearance and the ease of shifting your butt around on the seat, I'll keep my ability to brake sooner and give up the max-lean angle on the street where it's not safe to use anyway.

#26 ·
If you are moving you feet to shift and/or brake, you sacrifice reaction time to gain clearance and the ease of shifting your butt around on the seat, I'll keep my ability to brake sooner and give up the max-lean angle on the street where it's not safe to use anyway.
Its not about 'giving up max lean angle', its the OPPOSITE in fact.

A lot of riders have no reserve safety margin
The faster you're capable of going, the more margin you have when you do it slowly. A rider taking a corner at 40mph when they could take it at 60mph has less margin than a rider taking a corner at 50mph who can take it at 90mph

Shifting and braking is done before the corner, and with duck feet you are at a major disadvantage in moving your body to corner
(and with lower pegs on a bike with incredibly low pegs you are going to have to hang off more anyway to have more safety margin)
Duck feet makes it hard to shift your weight around, and gives you a fright when your boot touches down.

Try this at home-
do a squat and stand up then down a few times with your feet flat footed.
Now try it on the balls of your feet.

#24 ·
While I am a 'balls of the feet' type of rider myself, for the sake of open mindedness I must point out that you guys can make a good case using HD riders and cruisers in general as examples.
The feet are way the hell forward eliminating all possibility of using the feet as anchors to the bike and yet they move on down the road just fine.

I wasn't going to chime in again but then I realized that this topic is actually foot peg related. :)

#25 ·
Don't get me wrong, I have tried it, but for me, having long legs, it's just plain uncomfortable. I also find it easier to change gear and brake when my toes are just next to either lever. I can understand why racers do it, but as I've said before, I think it's unnecessary on the road. Each to their own, I think. Neither way is "wrong". Just ride the way that YOU are comfortable with. ;)

#28 ·
If I'm on a particularly rough road surface, or about to cross railroad tracks (at what I would consider to be moderate road speeds) for example, I will shift my upper body weight from the seat to the pegs, allowing my ankles and knees to absorb the movement of the bike underneath me. It's a subtle loading of weight on the pegs, not the overt standing up on the pegs that you would do in an off road environment. For me, this is the primary reason for riding on the balls of my feet... enhanced control.

BTW... Aufitt makes a good analogy with the example of doing squats flatfooted, vs using the balls of your feet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.