RAM stem mount - Page 3 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2012, 02:27 PM   #21
BKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
BKP, are you sure you have that installed right? The RAM mount is supposed to be flush with the stem nut, whereas yours seems to be up about 2 inches.

Although the OP did a good job of posting the installation, I also found this when I ordered mine online:

RAM Motorcycle Mount Fork Stem Base (RAM-B-342U) @ gpscity.com - YouTube
Yeah, it's mounted correctly. That picture isn't terribly clear with the zip ties, so I removed them, and took another... The washer is flush to the fork stem hole, as it should be, and the stem the outlet was zipped to, is a molded part of the knob section itself. That part can't possibly go flush:

Ok, I watched your video, and see what you're talking about. I installed it with the *larger* ( diameter of the stem hole note) washer, and the expansion goes right up against the bottom of the washer. This gave me a slightly raised knob, so I had a stem for zip-tying the outlet.

However, I might try the Dudeguy's method for running the outlet. Still have the smaller washers from the RAM mount, so simple matter to lower it, if the new wiring routing works.

Last edited by BKP; 05-17-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #22
BKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeMan View Post
I didn't use an "arm" but rather used the cradle that came with my gps. I hollowed out the back of the cradle and used Locktite superglue to mount my cradle to the Ram mount ball. It's on so good that I will have to break the cradle off of the mount to remove it. Another option you can probably do is just buy the Ram cradle for your gps at the Ram mount website :RAM Mounting Systems, Inc.

I believe you can just attach the Ram mount cradle to the ball on the ram stem mount. I really should have went that route b/c I would be able to remove the cradle and use a camera mount if I wanted to. That's ok b/c I don't really care for the whole camera while riding camera view anyways. I like to see video of the rider riding by on the motorcycle with video shot from a car.
Your installation is actually cleaner than mine, and I like the spring loaded outlet. However, didn't you screw up the mount ball with glue? The custom gps mounts are pretty cheap...

Good video, but you need to do them in the light...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKP View Post
Yeah, it's mounted correctly. That picture isn't terribly clear with the zip ties, so I removed them, and took another... The washer is flush to the fork stem hole, as it should be, and the stem the outlet was zipped to, is a molded part of the knob section itself. That part can't possibly go flush:

Ok, I watched your video, and see what you're talking about. I installed it with the *larger* ( diameter of the stem hole note) washer, and the expansion goes right up against the bottom of the washer. This gave me a slightly raised knob, so I had a stem for zip-tying the outlet.

However, I might try the Dudeguy's method for running the outlet. Still have the smaller washers from the RAM mount, so simple matter to lower it, if the new wiring routing works.
Mine looks like this also, right now it's actually putting the GPS in a good position so I may keep it. It's tight as hell so don't see it moving out anytime soon. I think I used the washer that's 1 size too big hence it didn't go flush.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:24 AM   #24
BKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimico_polak View Post
Mine looks like this also, right now it's actually putting the GPS in a good position so I may keep it. It's tight as hell so don't see it moving out anytime soon. I think I used the washer that's 1 size too big hence it didn't go flush.
Yeah. I used the large washer to entirely cover the stem hole. I mounted it with the bottom of the knob available in order to be able to zip tie the cig-socket accessory to it. I couldn't see any other decent alternative to mount that socket without something custom, or drilling holes.

And, yes, you're right, it's as tight as it can get. The expansion rubber is still completely encased, so it works just fine, and won't present a problem unless you drop the bike upside down... (in which case, you have more problems than the RAM mount)...
Old 05-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #25

I see what you mean, but I was able to get mine 'flush' when installing this weekend. Had to modify the instructions slightly and measure the distance from the bottom of the mount to it's stem, then remove that amount of excess material from the top of the rubber insert (so essentially mark, measure down and trim there, then insert the screw and cut so the washer, plastic nut, and metal nut fit).

Works ok with the standard arm, however it does get a little in the way of the key slot to my liking. I might try the short arm at some point if I can pick it up cheap/locally (thinking the next bike show, but I'm in no rush).

Bike: 2014 Honda CBR650F (Silver)
Past: 2011 Honda CBR250RA (Red/Silver) - Sold @ 12,734KM (gone but not forgotten)
Old 07-21-2012, 12:00 AM   #26

Garage

Just installed my RAM fork stem mount, so I thought I would share some pictures.

I wanted to use my phone as the GPS, so opted for an aqua box (medium size), which fits my Galaxy S2 perfectly. The box is waterproof, featuring a soft plastic insert that seals when closed. I was worried that using the touch screen would be hard given the plastic cover, but everything works well.

I have not tried it out on the street yet (raining here at the moment), so I will provide an update when I have put it to the test.

Positioning is good, and it doesn't get in the way of the dials. Key access is an issue, but this is not a problem for me. The box has about an inch of clearance over the top of the ignition.

Part codes and prices (AUD):

RAM-HOL-AQ2U Medium Aqua Box - $40
RAM-B-202 25mm (1") Small Ball and Base - $10
RAM-B-201 Standard double clamp B size - $15
RAM-B-342U Motorbike Stem 25mm (1") ball - $20

Any questions, let me know.

CJ
Old 07-21-2012, 03:24 AM   #27

Hey CJ, where'd you order your mounts from? I'm just north of Sydney and am looking at mounting a camera (either ReplayHD or GoPro).

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/mrshadow/cbr250r (Fuel Mileage)
Old 07-21-2012, 04:22 AM   #28

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShadow View Post
Hey CJ, where'd you order your mounts from? I'm just north of Sydney and am looking at mounting a camera (either ReplayHD or GoPro).
Hey mate.

Got them from Johnny Appleseed GPS at North Sydney. They have a comprehensive online store, or you can buy instore.

www.ja-gps.com.au/

Seems they stock the complete RAM range.

CJ
Old 07-21-2012, 04:34 AM   #29

Cheers, Looking now.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/mrshadow/cbr250r (Fuel Mileage)
Old 11-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #30

Bringing this back a little but I have had the Ram Stem mount on my bike for about 5 months now and I ride in all weather and have noticed the top of my stem on the bike is starting to rust under the stem mount.

Has anyone else noticed this or have any suggestions? I'll try to get some pictures when I get a chance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement