Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Helibars . . . ridden.

21K views 54 replies 18 participants last post by  commandodave 
#1 ·
Got my CBR back from Heli last week. Rode it today for an hour, and I like the bars a lot. The stock bars didn't bother me much, I'm 5-11, I thought they were pretty darned good. The Helibars are more comfortable, not the difference I see on my VFR1200, but the stock setup on the VFR was brutal on my wrists. Maybe the stock CBR bars were just less so?

Anywho, if you have any wrist or back complaints, these are a no brainer. Helibars hits the mark moving things around within tolerances, again. Nice job!

They have kept my stock bars, and indicate they may be develop a lower set for track use soon. I'll ride up and try them out if and when. I found the stock bars hard to duck down behind, would think a lower/shorter set would be handy on the track. Not that I do that . . .

Someone asked if the Helibars effected the mirrors' view at all - I can see my elbows as well as ever. Safe travels . . .

Good pics at www.helibars.com

#31 ·
Ok, so I installed the helibars yesterday and I've got the ZG Sport Touring windscreen, so heads up, Turbo! ~ The bolt on the medial side of the master cylinder comes very close to the windscreen on full lock left but I don't think it actually touches, or if it does, it's very slight. Full lock right has no contact points at all. Haven't been riding yet, was letting my grips dry on.

#34 · (Edited)
I am very close to buying the helibars. I am also like some of the posters on this board at 5 6. It seems that at 5 6 your are neither tall enough or short enough to have a stretched back. Its like my back is at a crunch. I might even fit better on a GSXR since I have to stretch my spine to be in that sporbike full riding position. I imagine if you are tall your arms are long enough to sit more straight. Imagine a back being in a c letter position. Ouch.

So guys, is this totally worth 189.00 or what?

#38 ·
Did you read the part in the installation manual about the importance of making sure, before the pinch bolt is torqued, that the bars are pulled as far backward as possible when the locating bolt is resting within the notch in the triple tree? The switches will definitely touch if that advise is not followed, since there is an amount of free clearance within the triple tree notch. Mine hit the switches also until they were pulled back.

This post has been deleted
#40 ·
I have had my Helibars on for nearly 2 months now. I have them pulled back as was stated previously. When turning the bars very tight and going 2 mph or less the bar will come very close to the tank (part of my hand will come in contact with the tank). You can only turn this sharp going very very slow, like when parking.

Overall, I am very happy :) with them. I would hate to take them off and go back to stock. I just wish they had been cheaper.

Ben

#42 ·
Heli is not going to do a lower set for the CBR. I had thought they would given the popularity of the bike, and the ease with which it could be done. I explained to them that my 5-11 frame couldn't tuck and steer effectively with the stock bars, and if I were a track-day rider some lower clip-ons would be the cats ass. I'm sure they've done well by the CBR250R crowd, but I think they are too busy to deal with such a specialty item, reality.

If you live in the Northeast and find yourself with a brand new bike that could use Heli's touch, and they don't make bars for it yet, touch base with them. A visit to their shop is interesting, and they do the first bike owner's bars for free.

Also, I do believe that if you make an appointment, they still do free installs at their shop. Nice part of Maine, near New Hampster, also a good opportunity to see their shop.

Pleased most seem quite happy with their bars! Ride safeLY.

#44 ·
Hello everyone and thanks for the information!

I am 5'7" and have back problems. After I ride for over 25 miles I really pay for it that evening and the next day with cervical and low lumbar pain. Would the Helu Bars help increase my riding time? They are kind of pricey but would be well worth it for me if I could ride longer without pain. Sitting on a regular chair for over 5 minutes gives me quite a bit of pain, so I'm eventually going to go with some kind of gel seat cover as well.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#46 ·
Not sure born2run, sitting straighter on your tailbone could bring more pain especially on sharp bumps depends what brings you some pain. I know from riding cruiser bikes that pain is more in lower back and sport bike is more in neck and shoulder for me.

~~
This is what I've read from other riders as well. Some older guys I know, and other folks with back/spine issues, actually prefer a more forward-leaning riding position to keep the shock from bumps going straight up their back.
~~

#47 ·
Thanks for the info- actually, looking back on it, it's my shoulder that bothers me the most. A deep ache that takes days to go away. My lower back is in the middle of an episode right now so I don't think that will be the primary problem in the future.

I noticed on the stock bars there seem to be two thick washers under the bolts that holds the bars to the frame. What if I switched these to below the bolt. Wouldn't that give me a bit of a rise?

#49 ·
I mounted a pair of Helibars today. WooHoo! The hardest part was removing the bar end weights from the OEM bars. I learned a trick for that, though. A turn or two of duct tape over the grips and weights prevents them from turning. Yjr proper size Phillips bit mounted in an electric drill. Set it to reverse. Push in on the drill and hit the trigger for a fraction of a section. The starting torque and "instant on" loosens the screw just fine. My CBR is a 2013 model. The screw had the serrations but no thread locker.

I mounted a set of Helibars on my Aprilia Futura back when Old Shep was a pup. Not a big physical dimensional change over the stock bars, but it made quite a difference in comfort. They have come a long way in 10 years. The fit and finish on the CBR bars is much better than for the bars on the Aprilia Futura.

#50 ·
Helibar ride report:
The small difference in bar height and rear setback make a big difference in comfort. i am long in the torso for my height (6'-0"). Before the Helibars I found myself putting a lot of weight on my forearms and hands. Now I sit more upright and relaxed with very little weight transferred to my forearms. My longest stretch in the saddle was about 90 minutes on a brisk ride through the mountain twistys. The only part of me tired or tense was my butt!

#51 ·
Hmm that sounds good commandodave. I am not short and I find myself putting weight on the bars a lot, though recently I am trying to use my core and knees to take pressure off the bars, per live_to_ride and aufitt I believe. If I still have issues I will consider this option much more.

Do you have any clearance issues between the tank and hands when doing tight turns, as someone mentioned a few posts ago?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.