Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Zero gravity sport touring quick review...

17K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Stichill 
#1 · (Edited)
Meh.

:)

Definitely reduces buffeting on the highway, but it's pretty similar to stock anywhere else. Significantly more comfortable ~55mph though.

You definitely catch a little more on your shoulders. I suspect that this helps with the buffeting since the area behind the windscreen fills in a little more (so more wind, but more consistent wind). EDIT: for reference, I'm 5'11"

Fitment is excellent.

Not sure if the double bubble would be better or worse. IMO not worth the hassle and price, but I'll leave it because I don't feel like taking it off again.

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
I've looked at the Zero Gravity touring screen and images comparing it to stock. I was thinking about purchasing one. However, it actually looks a bit narrower than stock - and a little taller. I'm wondering if there are any screens available that are wider than stock. I'm thinking this might be a bit more useful.

*edit* - I just noticed that Tyga's windscreen that fits over the stock screen is a little wider.

http://tyga-performance.com/site/popup_image.php?pID=2336&invis=3

Mike

#7 ·
I've had the ZG Sport Touring on since last fall. Ih makes a big difference in raising the wind from hitting me in the upper chest with the OEM to helmet with the ZG. ZG is 2.5 inches taller installed than the OEM. The wind still hits outet shoulder are when riding upright.
In my opinion it is well worth the cost and improves the looks of the bike as well.
Pics here...http://www.cbr250.net/forum/members/katedwolf-albums-she-s-gone.html

#11 ·
Update:

Really don't like the screen. It pushes the airflow up the middle of my helmet, and while the flow is smooth its also much higher velocity. There's a lot of pressure which makes riding above 60mph very uncomfortable.

Would be great for shorter people, but not for me. I might even be taking it off when I get a chance.

#12 · (Edited)
I installed my ST today. Not enough time on it to report anything other than I haven't had it over 60 MPH yet. It seems to take some of the air flow off the chest, and dumps it right mid-helmet, which also makes it a bit noisier. (I am 5' 10" tall) I'm not giving it a thumbs up or thumbs down yet.

But those instructions included with it are a complete and total train wreck!

#13 ·
Yes, with my height of 5'10" the ST screen is definitely noisier at all speeds, although buffeting doesn't seem to be a problem. It seems like it will keep the better part of the wind blast from going up under my helmet chin bar, but not completely. So in that department, for which I primarily purchased it, it appears an improvement. Seems like fewer bug guts on the front of my jacket, too, but the screen is not as wide as it looked in a lot of pictures. A bit broader coverage would have been nicer and more useful against wet weather. This thing isn't going to do anything for rain riders, even in a tuck. I leave in one day on a trip of the northwest of approximately 3000-4000 miles, so I will report back in three weeks whether the stock screen will be going back on afterward or not!

#15 ·
I installed the Zero Gravity Sport Touring Windscreen a couple months ago and..... I think I agree with some of the other members, it's not much better than the stock windscreen. It does push the air up to about mid-helmet or higher, but it is narrower and the wind seems to hit my shoulders harder which is getting a little annoying at highway speeds. It also doesn't fit as well and I can hear more buzzing when I'm not wearing ear plugs. I think I might try the Tyga Touring screen instead.

#16 ·
Thanks for the info. I have been leaning to the ZG tour but I am 6ft 210lbs and wonder if it will really help my problem is I cannot really tuck comfortably and due to my size I feel a lot of turbulence and buffeting clothing makes a big difference on comfort and performance. I wish I could find a full size windscreen I don't care about the looks just comfort I am 50 and ride 500 miles a week. Love your luggage set up sweet looking bike

#18 ·
As others have noted the ZG is 3" taller and slightly more narrow so it does push the wind from the upper chest neck area to the face shield. That is a huge improvement in winter and in summer the bugs don't collect in my jacket but do cover the shield. I have 8000 miles on the bike now so lots of time year round with this windscreen.

The wind hits the outer shoulder area where my jacket armor is, Not an issue and as the temps rise into the 90's here I am thankful for the air. I am 5'8". I don't tuck.
Fit and finish of mine is great. No rattle vibration or other issues.

Bottom line it is a sportbike. Albeit a 250cc. If you want to avoid the wind get a Goldwing or drive the cage.
Enjoy the breeze.

#19 ·
Initial impressions / Review Zero Gravity Sport Touring Windscreen

I just took a 1500-mile trip with the stock windscreen and a Laminar Lip. I liked the performance of the Laminar Lip a lot, but I didn't like the adhesive/"Velcro" attachment system (it always seems on the verge of popping off)...so I decided to just spring for a "real" Sport Touring windscreen from Zero Gravity. Below are my initial impressions / review of the product.

Packaging. The windscreen came packed inside a heavy, sealed plastic bag. The windscreen is much smaller than I anticipated. There are no protective adhesive liners on each side to prevent damage during install, so be careful. My unit has a minor optical fault in the Plexiglas. The ZG logo stickers are ugly and sucked to remove; I wish they had simply thrown them in the bag for those that want them...don't make the rest of us pick them off bit by bit, risking scratches to the new windscreen. Speaking of scratches, I found two tiny scratches on the inside surface - not enough to warrant a return but bothersome to my OCD side nonetheless. Overall, I was not all that impressed with the presentation.

Installation. It was a bear to install this windscreen! Not completely their fault; the fairings on the CBR250R are basically a nightmare. On the other hand, the ZG instructions are pretty bad. The photos are too small and it's hard to tell in what order the steps are to be taken. For example, I wasted quite some time trying to remove some small screws that attach the upper fairing to the headlight assembly (1/4 turn at a time), when I suddenly discovered that the whole upper front fairing/headlight assembly can be easily removed and carried indoors to a table to work on. Once inside, I simply took the whole thing apart to get down the just the front painted nose piece that actually supports the windscreen. A hell of a lot of work just to gain internal access to that one component.

Appearance. I chose the clear, and I think it looks spectacular. As good as or better than the OEM windscreen in my opinion. The curves and flare of the ZGST more or less mirrors the curves and flare of the side fairings to my eye, rendering a pleasing profile view.

Ergo stats. I am a short 5'5" with a 29" inseam and wear a full-face Arai Vector-2 helmet. Helibars are installed which yield +1.50" higher / +1.25" pull back. According to cycle-ergo.com, these handlebars reduce my forward lean angle from 23 degrees (stock) to 16 degrees (Helibars). So I am riding a bit more upright than with stock handlebars.

Road performance. At first I was pretty disappointed, because the wind was definitely louder around the sides of my helmet. It gives you the impression that the windscreen doesn't work at all. Yet the more I rode, the more I realized that the windscreen does a good job deflecting wind away from my upper chest and throat/chin area. In fact, I felt warmer than I usually do in the wind...I actually felt a little hot. I think I will really appreciate that functionality when it gets colder. The wind stream seems to hit me around eye level or slightly higher.

On the downside as I said, there is a lot more wind speed/turbulence around the sides of my helmet, increasing noise substantially. Even though I always wear foam earplugs when riding, they could not block the low-frequency booming element mixed in with the fairly loud high-frequency wind noise. Better/custom earplugs may or may not help subdue it. Leaning forward more into a "stock" riding position did nothing to reduce the noise level, so this noise thing is not an artifact of the Helibars. I have to say: I really hate the increased noise level; not at all what I expected. To me, this is the worst aspect of this windscreen for my riding conditions.

On the positive side, I noticed that the bike simply "runs" faster, for example whereas I might have taken some curves on my local state highway at 55 mph, with this windscreen the bike seems to like them at 62 mph. Generally it felt like the bike wanted to go 7-10 mph faster on the open road at any given throttle setting...like the bike is more slippery in the air.

In conclusion (based on one hour and a half ride): the Laminar Lip seemed to work a lot better at doing what I want from a windscreen, namely deflecting the wind stream higher and providing a smoother and more comfortable ride. In the meantime I will live with the ZG for a while and see if my impression improves. I may also get some better earplugs...if I can cut the noise level I may be able to live with the ZG. If not, I am thinking about - gasp - drilling holes in the OEM windscreen and permanently attaching the Laminar Lip to it with stainless steel bolts and rubber or plastic washers.

Attachments

#20 ·
I've got the Tyga tinted windscreen, it is on or off in 10 minutes flat, I've heard the horror stories about installing an aftermarket shield, I'm 65 years old and bulged a disk when I was in Korea, I don't have the physical ability to stay all bent up to pull the front fairing apart. I really do like the Tyga screen, with the one exception that it takes some of it's stiffness/strength from being mounted over the stock windshield. The screen is solid, construction is well engineered, and breaks just about shoulder height at highway speed with my semi-tucked 235 lb. 5ft. 11in. body. If I sit pretty much straight up, it breaks about mid-chest, and 10 minutes off and on with 1 hex wrench, really makes it much more flexible. I'm probably one of the older riders on the forum, so others might fare better with disassembling the front fairing, but I just don't have the lifetime left to spend an afternoon tearing it apart. (;<})

Doc

#22 ·
I got back yesterday from a 4,700 mile trip through nine states. My opinion hasn't changed with this screen and my 5' 10" height: noisy, with a marginal increased wind deflection, but in no way worth the $100 expenditure. If I had to do it over again, I'd look elsewhere.

At least it would be impossible for another manufacturer to make less sensible installation instructions. Over the phone, in the spirit of offering input so they can improve their manual, I tried to politely let the gentleman who made the instructions know exactly in what ways the instructions were lacking, to put it politely. He basically defended his presentation, and the fault must be in the way I was looking at it. Whatever, dude. All I know is in complete honesty, a totally mechanically inept owner would stand a better chance of installing this wind screen successfully with no instructions, versus what they include with their product.

#24 · (Edited)
Second impressions

Rode 95 miles with the Zero Gravity Sport Touring today. I replaced my foam earplugs - which I had been using a while - with some brand new ones, to be sure I have the maximum level of hearing protection in place before further commenting on the wind noise.

At the start of the ride, winds were calm (unlike my first trial, which was on a blustery day). I noticed right away that with the new earplugs and calm winds, the ride was acceptably quiet. I again was impressed how the bike seemed to be more aerodynamic; I found myself riding a good 10 mph faster than I would normally ride with the stock windscreen. I realized that the ZGST is working to reduce wind noise and buffeting at my accustomed speeds, so that I unconsciously twist the throttle further until the roar rises to the level that I am used to...and this happens to be about 10 mph faster.

On the way back home, the wind picked up and I did notice more noise and buffeting, almost like the wind disrupts the smooth flow produced by the ZGST. But it was well within the limits of acceptable.

So, I will have to say that my second impressions of this windscreen are very positive!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.