Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Forum of condemnation

16K views 96 replies 40 participants last post by  don'tpanic 
#1 · (Edited)
In lieu of speaking about any positive attributes the CBR250R may have in terms of performance, to avoid COMDEMNATION from the curmudgeons (mainly those with the title "senior member") I would like to point out the less desired but obvious characteristics of our beloved CBR250R.

I have seen many posts of folks proud of their CBR250R's only to be belittled with sarcasm from what I would guess are riders that have never gone over the speed limit, gone WOT, or have never gone fast enough to apply counter steering. Maybe the fore-mentioned will think twice before climbing on their soap boxes to try to sound so pious in this forum. Here's what you get when you own a CBR250R:

1. 23 hp (weaker than the 20 year old Ninja 250)
2. Sloppy suspension
3. Motor that sounds like it's low on oil (pow tah tah pow taw taw)
4. Low quality tires, which is ok, since we shouldn't ever lean far enough to narrow our chicken strips
5. Gearing so short you have to shift to 4th or 5th just to get to 45mph.
6. A muffler so ugly and heavy it isn't even fit to be on a Vespa scooter

Finally, a question: Is the CBR250R an economy bike trying to look sporty or a sport bike that is watered down to moped performance?

See less See more
#2 ·
well. since i seem to have the senior member title. i will just have to say i agree with most of what you say. 1 and 5 go together and at times i hate having to row thru 4 gears just to be going 70kph. Tires i changed to Michelin pr3. Suspension i am noticing it more and more (how bad it is) and i would upgrade it but i will instead upgrade whole bike to a (probably) 2013 or 2014 Ninja 650 abs.

as for the muffler i can live with it. i like that the ninja muffler is tucked under bike nice and neat. i gave consideration to the new honda 500s but it is still an econo bike with an 8.5k rpm. Ninja a better bike with almost twice the hp and about the same weight as the 500.

not sure what you mean by moped. but if it what some call all the small cc scooters. My old Derbi 150cc scooter was faster off the line than the cbr250 is. As for calling scooters-mopeds, if there are no pedals it not a moped (MOtorized PEDal - bike)

#3 · (Edited)
I don't think the cbr250 is the best bike ever and all that, but it works perfect for me.

I usually only go 50-60(which is 5-15 over the speed limit) unless I am on the highway, but I don't mind shifting...I don't even realize I am doing it anymore, but I have only had the bike for a little while.

It is perfect for the traffic I stay in front of without getting me killed I know that much lol

Edit: diff bikes suit diff ppl, if you like going to the track, racing fast cars and other motorcycles, and stuff like that this is not the motorcycle for you...

Btw just for ppl who don't have the bike this thing is slow compared to other bikes, but in general it's not that slow.

#4 ·
I agree with most of what you're saying, however we have to remember that just because the 250 has the CBR designation doesn't mean it's a super sport. It's first and foremost a commuter with a sporty design. If you want to race then you picked the wrong bike. Even though it's not a true sports bike, it's still faster than 70% of the vehicles on the road (I'm just guessing that figure).

#5 ·
I have seen many posts of folks proud of their CBR250R's only to be belittled with sarcasm from what I would guess are riders that have never gone over the speed limit, gone WOT, or have never gone fast enough to apply counter steering. Maybe the fore-mentioned will think twice before climbing on their soap boxes to try to sound so pious in this forum.
Well said. Thanks. I had a really good story about smoking a friend of mine on my old VFR but god forbid should I mention it on this site.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Reactions: Romz
#6 ·
No wait guys, here's a really awesome idea. Why don't you start a thread with stories dedicated to all those folks on two and four wheels you've smoked.

Seriously, why don't you do it. If not, then shut your whining up. There are plenty of descriptors for guys who spout off on forums about their sick riding skills... So go on, share your stories fellas.

#20 ·
No wait guys, here's a really awesome idea. Why don't you start a thread with stories dedicated to all those folks on two and four wheels you've smoked.

Seriously, why don't you do it. If not, then shut your whining up. There are plenty of descriptors for guys who spout off on forums about their sick riding skills... So go on, share your stories fellas.
Why so serious?

If that's directed towards the OP, then it's already done. If directed towards me, I would've just related how much easier the 250 is to handle vs a heavier bike. I wasn't sold on it until I experienced myself. My old vfr was a great sport-tourer, but it's a lumbering hog compared to the 250. The lightweight feel is very confidence inspiring, but you gotta keep that motor wound up to keep it going. There. I told my story! Hooray for me!

#7 ·
I think the CBR250R is many bikes to many people. I use it as a commuter, which it excels at. It's great value for what it costs, and has to be the cheapest "real" motorcycle to run that you can buy. It's not as fast as some 250's from say 30 years ago, but speed isn't everything. I used to own a FI model Ninja 250R, which was a good little bike, and quicker than the CBR, but the CBR is much nicer to ride on the road, due to it's engine characteristics and ride. Honda could have easily built the engine with another 5 bhp, but that would have ruined the flexible nature of it and decreased reliability and service intervals. I prefer the suspension of the CBR to the Ninja 250r for road use. I don't think it's sloppy, it's comfortable, which for me is a good thing on real roads. I agree with you that it's not a real race replica, if it was, it would cost a lot more to buy, and lets face it, not many people would want to spend the same amount on a 250 if they could buy a 600 for the same price. I don't think that you can buy a better bike for the money. I've owned many motorcycles, and the CBR is probably my favourite so far. ;)

#9 ·
Yo-
One may find the CBR250R fun and sporty. Indeed, a capable bike. Small and light it's quite a pleasure. I can't get the wife out for long-distance touring so why buy another BMW. The bike has it's limits (doesn't everything). There are nice aftermarket products to add if ones so inclined. Agree, the muffler is an ugly boat anchor. Perhaps in July a Tyga Maggot system would make some noise. Also, it is something of a 2-speed (off and WOT) and I like it. Nothing to get on a "high-horse" and condemn.

#13 ·
There isn't one. It's just a rant with no point. Oldman said it pretty well. It's a bike intended for a owner for which:
1. Peak power isn't a priority
2. Needs comfortable and versatility (suspension)
3. Isn't interested in waking the dead with the sound
4 & 5. Not sure where this comes from - the tires are fine unless you're going racing and the gearing to me seems perfect for a versatile bike.
6. Ugly? Well, isn't it nice that there are lots of choices out there for every kind of taste.

To answer your question, IMO (and I think Honda's as well) - it's a light, inexpensive, versatile bike of modest performance with all the advantages that a first time or budget minded owner would want. It's cheap to insure, to maintain, to feed and yet it doesn't look cheap at all. The fit and finish and styling of this bike is excellent and befitting a bike that costs many multiples of it's purchase price.

Thats why when you come on a model specific form and slam the product people might say you've bought the wrong bike and maybe something else is your cup o' tea. Not curmudgeonly - just realistic.

#11 · (Edited)
Haha, go fark yourself lol, I think you will find that most of us are the total opposite of your description. You probably did describe yourself though haha.

Haha, 4 gears to get to 80kph. Hahahaha nice one granny. Now I know that your mate on the F4 didnt just stop off for a smoke, he had a steak dinner lol.

Here, I think this might help with your whining:

Product Text Font Material property Technology

#12 ·
Romz,
Sounds like you let them get to you.
The CBR250R is what it is, and that's a lot.
However, you don't have to like it or buy one, and if you prefer a Kawa, buy one!
But don't whine to me about your choice, or this forum. There are lots of people here and everywhere. Some are bullies and some are awesome. Get used to it or be miserable.
Don't worry. Be happy, and keep smokin' em!

IR

#26 ·
Naw brah, I wanted to pull them out to let them show themselves. It's MOTOMIKE and CBR_DAVE. As you can see, no matter if you love the bike and talk about how great the bike handles, ect..or hate the bike, they want to show themselves for who they are. The thread was an experiment that can now be proven. Simply review the thread and you'll see who does the condemnation and belittling. It's now obvious.

For the record, I love this little CBR250RA. I get compliments on my bike all the time. It's not fast, I know. I'm ok with that. I wanted a bike easy to learn on since it's my first bike. I still stare at it after parking it in garage before going into the house. Seriously, I would love a forum where stories about our bike can be shared without hate. :)

#14 ·
it is what it is is right! it's a helluva bike in it's own right. I miss my Ducati Monster, but it wasn't that fun around town, really. Sometimes it takes owning the big, fast or dirtworthy to appreciate the small, flickable and cheap. get over yourself and go back to your X-Box.

#37 ·
Sorry to have offended. I personally love the CBR250R. The post was a social experiment to draw out specific members that love to harp on folks whether you're glorifying or demonizing the bike. It's not a perfect bike and has a specific intention of use. I have no problem with that. Cheap, easy on gas, reliable. It's perfect for it's intention! :)

#21 ·
I don't get threads like this.
I didn't buy my CBR250R to be faster than anyone else.
I didn't buy my CBR250R to ride it WOT all the time, test how sticky the tires were or see how far I could lean it over in a turn.
Yes the CBR250R is an "economy" bike and a "beginner's bike". It's also a lot of fun for people who don't care about economy and aren't beginners.
If you want the performance of a 600 then buy a 600, because you'll never be satisfied with a 250.
Those of us who don't compare our rides with everything else on the road and don't need power we'll never use will be very happy to keep this model flying out of the dealerships.

#22 ·
Everyone's reasons for buying are different. I bought this bike because I rode around for a month on a 110cc scooter and I realized how much I liked a lighter ride. I'm willing to sacrifice HP for nimble handling and easy low speed maneuverability. I could care less about gas mileage and commuting on it. I knew what I was getting going in, and I'll push it to see what I can get out of it. Eventually it will become my dedicated track bike.

#23 ·
What's a curmudgeon????!!!!!!! ROTFLMAO
"A bad or ill tempered surly old man", well that doesn't apply to me bawahahahaha.

I loved my 250. When I felt I wanted more I traded not "up" but to another bike. I'm still on this forum sharing my excitement with all the "curmudgeons". Some seem genuinely happy for me and I have yet to hear a snarky "get off the forum" comment.

(I do agree the 250 exhaust is "unfortunate" looking)

#24 ·
I bought my 250 to help gain insurance "experience" but now I have fallen in love with the lil bike. I love bouncing the red line in every gear, I have no chicken strips left on my stock tires and I still find myself backing off the throttle when I see something that could be a cop car lol.
Ive thought of "upgrading" to a super sport but each time I throw a leg over the lil 250 and wheelie up (im a hooligan I know ;) ) I giggle each time and know its just the poser in me wanting it

#25 ·
RE: Forum of condemnation

Ironic that the OP is pretty much condemning the CBR for what it is with his opening post in this thread.
Here is a quote from one of his posts a couple days ago, in the Smoked a CBR600F4i thread: "My point was that the 250 really handles well does a great job in tight twisties. Just wanted ya'll to feel proud of a well handling bike that doesn't have to boast 140hp, that's all."
A bit of the old Dr. Jeckel/Mr. Hyde regarding the attributes of this bike, wouldn't you agree?

"Just wanted ya'll to feel proud of a well handling bike... " As if many of us have been going around, sulking about our choice of motorcycle, and living in shame due to the constant barrage of ridicule from other motorcyclists for riding such an inadequate machine. Right... :rolleyes:

As for the real point of this this thread (which the OP quickly stepped back from by talking about everything that the CBR isn't), this so called Forum of condemnation... Speaking for myself (as one of the sarcastic curmudgeonly bastards he has issue with), it is very difficult to resist posting colorful replies in threads such as his Smoked a F4i... the Straight Man sets up the Comedian. Aside from the boastful tone of his thread, and the pure bull sh!t of having "a 25-30 second lead over the CBR600F4i in 3 to 4 miles", the OP must think that because this forum is dedicated to what many perceive as "just a beginners bike", that most of us here were born last night. I know I'm not the only curmudgeonly CBR250R owner here... what the OP fails to realize is that to have the title of curmudgeonly bastard bestowed on oneself, one has to have been "Around the block a few times", and "It's not my first time to the Rodeo, son". A lot of us old bastards have built in BS meters... perhaps it's one of the few advantages of becoming an old middle aged fart.

Finally, no one here is under the illusion that the CBR250R is a "fast bike", or any of the other terms associated with high performance motorcycles. THE VAST MAJORITY HERE KNOW WHAT THIS BIKE IS... stop twisting the words of others around, just so you can make another ridiculous point, with the real intention of trying to make others appear ignorant. It only serves to make you look like the one who was born last night. If you have an issue, don't dance around it... call a spade, a spade. :cool:

#27 ·
I don't get this thread really.

Criticizes the senior members as being ignorant and condeming=negative comment
Criticises the 250=negative comment

Yet the OP owns a 250 and is a forum member. I'm not sure what his ultimate point was. One can speculate....only the OP can fully divulge his true intention. So, speak it then we all can address it.

#54 ·
I wondered too.

Like I told Island Rick, I love this bike. I choose it for the fact that it was be a great starter bike. The post was to draw out a couple of guys that I've seen harp on other posts regardless if you give positive or negative feedback.
The OP explained that pretty well I think. He posted crapola he didn't really believe to be true to bait a couple of people he was holding some grudge with.

I think we'd called that a troll wouldn't we?
Now we have the answer.

You're right. The bike was designed for the commuter who wants sport and value. The bike truly suits it's intended design. I love it for that.
I like the way people authoritatively state "the bike was designed for" this, that or the other rider. It may be marketed and / or seen as such in different parts.

The CBR250R was designed by Honda's subsidiary in Thailand, to be manufactured there and in India. My guess is that it was designed primarily for those and other Asian markets. It also happened to liven up a niche for smaller machines that had been somewhat neglected in Western markets for at least a couple of decades.

It was their first venture into larger bikes in a country where the market is 95% sub 150cc machines. Since then we have seen their CRF250L (which uses the same engine) and the CBR500 series arrive on the scene.

Yo -
Been trolled - yes.
Pointless thread - yes.
Immature/Childish - yes.
Having fun - yes indeed.
I reckon

#29 ·
I admit I bought the cbr as a starter bike. Something cheap, slow, and reliable to relearn what few riding skills I had and get all the basics down. For this, I can't imagine anything better. The cbr has been traded. Not due to any fault, just wanted something different. That being said, I've ridden several bikes now, and the cbr still stands in my mind as a great bike. Yes it's slow, yes it's got some cheap components, yes it could be considered ugly (I personally liked the way it looked), but the sum of the bike is much greater than the whole of the parts. Wish I would have kept it for those days when I just want to cruise and relax. You won't catch me bashing it. Ever.

#39 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Rick
Romz,
Sounds like you let them get to you.
The CBR250R is what it is, and that's a lot.
However, you don't have to like it or buy one, and if you prefer a Kawa, buy one!
But don't whine to me about your choice, or this forum. There are lots of people here and everywhere. Some are bullies and some are awesome. Get used to it or be miserable.
Don't worry. Be happy, and keep smokin' em!

IR
Naw brah, I wanted to pull them out to let them show themselves. It's MOTOMIKE and CBR_DAVE. As you can see, no matter if you love the bike and talk about how great the bike handles, ect..or hate the bike, they want to show themselves for who they are. The thread was an experiment that can now be proven. Simply review the thread and you'll see who does the condemnation and belittling. It's now obvious.

For the record, I love this little CBR250RA. I get compliments on my bike all the time. It's not fast, I know. I'm ok with that. I wanted a bike easy to learn on since it's my first bike. I still stare at it after parking it in garage before going into the house. Seriously, I would love a forum where stories about our bike can be shared without hate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.