Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Highway/Freeway review?

99K views 110 replies 71 participants last post by  VaRider 
#1 ·
I mainly plan on using mine around town and cruising the backroads. Once in awhile we head up to Wisconsin on the highways, traffics not really bad up there. Just hoping to hear how the bike handles in the 65mph-75mph range on the highways from the new owners.

#2 ·
I'm doing the slow break in, but my first impression was that it will work great. Didn't have any scary feeling like this is too whimpy, or too light, or gets blown around. Plenty of power to do 60 and 70 didn't push past there, but it will easily.

It has a pleasant hum/drone. Starts getting buzzy in the grips and pegs about 70, maybe 7.6 rpm. Nice clean wind, but not much protection.

#79 ·
I agree...with your speed marks. My '12 try color runs fairly smooth at 65...at 70 it begins to buzz...and 75Mph is a bit much for this little guy, on a sustained basis. Sure this bike has no trouble going that fast, but if nothing else, your gas mileage goes to hell in a hand basket. I hope that you enjoy your CBR 250 as much as I do. I had everything from 75cc's to 1300cc's and some were a lot of fun...but this little beauty is much more fun than anything I've ever ridden...and at nearly 75 yrs young...cut down on weight. Safe ridding to you, be well and may the wind always be at your back. minzRedWhtBlu250too

#3 ·
I think it has impressive straight line performance on the highway. It seems to get real stable going fast. You can definitely make it go faster if you lie down on the tank and get out of the wind and slower if you sit upright.

Sixth gear comes unto its own above 6k and it's easy to stay with the flow of traffic. Short connecting trips on the highway are absolutely no problem for this little dude. It wouldn't be my choice for a long highway commute, as there is some buzz to it.

For casual adventuring it's fine. If your going to do major cross country runs, that will probably take some training. ;)

#4 ·
Good to hear. The wifes GZ250 pretty much was tapped out at 70 on the highway. Since I gave her the Sportster just wanted to make sure the CBR could handle it. When I ride with her 65 would be the top speed anyway.

#21 ·
My wife previously had a GZ250 as well, and the CBR250R absolutely blows it away. MUCH more stable/powerful/fast/smooth on the highway. At 70mph, the GZ was screaming for mercy with little if any left to give. On the CBR at that speed, it's a comfortable purr (with passing power to spare).

The one complaint (and I'll remedy this as soon as one becomes available) is that it really needs an aftermarket windscreen. The stock one in combination with the upright handlebar placement puts the highway wind right in your face. I don't mind too much, but for hours and hours.. you start to feel like a bobble-head. :D

#10 ·
I didn't have any problems keeping up with Sacramento, CA traffic. 70 was effortless if a little buzzy but not bad at all. It's also a lane splitting wizard, even better than my CBR1000. I had no problems accelerating quickly from 65 to pass, even in 6th gear. The bike required some recalibration for me because you have to get used to the motor spinning so high.

#11 ·
Interesting that the magazine reviews have indicated that actual mph/kph are close to the bike clock reading. Yet all the actual owner indications are that the clock reads about 10% high. Multiple owner reviews using a GPS to show actual speed are verifying this. So you need to take that into account when riding.......

#13 ·
>>The CBR, in fact, conjures up sweet memories of one of the best backroad Hondas of all time, the dearly departed Hawk GT (a 650cc V-Twin that made about twice the power, weighed 56 pounds more and sold for $4 less in 1988).
>>The CBR just plain works better everywhere, eliciting more toothy grins wherever it goes. On the spec chart, it’s about as impressive as, well, as a 250-Single-powered sportbike. On the road, this little Thumper might be the best two-wheel thing Honda’s done for motorcycling in a long time, *plus you can get three or four of them for the price of a DN-01. Things are looking up.
Kawasaki Ninja 250R vs. Honda CBR250R Review- Sportbike Comparison Test

#14 ·
I've been riding on I-59 at 75mph and 8K rpm. I tried to see how fast my bike would go once so I had the throttle opened up all the way and it had just hit 89mph when I started up a small bridge. The slight incline was too much and it started slowing down. Nevertheless, it has absolutely no problem running at 75 mph.
The other thing is the wind. I'm new to bikes so whenever Im on a bridge prcome into a clearing, the gust from the side freaks me out a little so I lean forward on the tank which seems to help with stability and performance.

#16 ·
I got on this morning and I had to let it rip to get into traffic. This little bike moves pretty good, at least as good as my small car.

I'm just more and more impressed each time I ride it. I think its a lot more fun on the back roads than it is on the big highway, but it will definitely get you where you want to go.

#17 ·
i ride abt 60km daily to work, if the weather permits. with 10km town roads and the balance on highway. stop start is a whizz.. the amt of torque is just tremendous. on highways i maintained 130 - 150 kmh.. and i tried to maintain a rpm of 8k - 10k as much as possible... still getting myself familiarize witht his bike....

#20 ·
well, I think you will just love it, the bike does it all.

Up against the wind, going up hill, the bike seemed to like 5th @8100 doing about 65mph. I have to crouch down, out of the wind, a lot on the highway.

It's so loud in the wind, I've started always wearing earplugs.

#25 ·
I toured on freeway for about 500 km in total in several commutes... had not a single problem.
Riding alone I reached 140 kmh without pushing it hard and the bike seemed much stable than i thought, even passing some cars was quite easy.
Riding in two with my girl I kept lower speeds as 90-100-110kmh and the bike was (or at least appeared to me, compared to the noise of the wind) very silent and did not go over 7000 rpms.
It is perfect to go with the flow (of traffic) so if you are not in a rush you can definitely enjoy riding the little cbr on the freeway.

I plan to make a short trip on the first of September, with 300km of freeway. I will try to write some more specific review: until now I can only tell that I am loving this thing much more, really much more than I could possibly think.

It fits perfect for me.

PS: all speed are indicated, I have no gps.

#26 ·
Howdy all,
Here is my little piece on this topic. Tested my cbr on the highway here(Gettysburg Area) rolling hills and what not. Posted speed limit at 65 on highway 15 and at 6'3" and 300lbs slightly crouched so the wind hit my head it was steady at 75mph. Got a little bit more if I fully laid on the tank. So it can do highway, just keep an eye out behind you if your in the fast lane. Otherwise she did well, course my mpg's went out the window :) ...

#27 ·
there is no problem keeping this bike at 70-80. It crusies fine, not much vibration and gets there quick. The problem is after about 80, you have very little more get-up-and-go power which is important if you need to avoid grandma in her hybrid turning into your lane!

As for being blow around, most 600cc bikes are only about 50 lbs heavier then this is its not going to be that much different then a larger sports bike. It is what it is.

#29 ·
just done a 100klm run tonight on the highway with my missus on the back the bike was very stable even at higher speeds
after the run at about 130-140 most of the way the bike seemed much more free and had much more get up and go
I would like a double bubble windscreen however this would make the highway runs much more comfortable
it easily holds 130 riding 2 up with a little left if needed

#31 ·
I ride on the highway daily, and this bike is a charm...

World of difference if you tuck at speeds above 60mph, like sendler says, its like a dart. I top out mid to high 80s, plenty of speed to cruise and power to pass within legal speed limits. Vibrations even at top speeds are very unnoticeable to me. I've been actively making it a point to ride in a good riding position using the lower half of my body to do all the work - that seemed to ween off all of the riding discomforts that I've experienced in learning.

As for windscreens... I've got my eye on the Puig double bubble windscreen.... but don't know much about it yet. Gotta do some homework. I def want a better windscreen especially for the higher speeds, but I also want to maintain a nice sporty look.

#35 · (Edited)
I ride on the highway daily, and this bike is a charm...

World of difference if you tuck at speeds above 60mph, like sendler says, its like a dart. I top out mid to high 80s, plenty of speed to cruise and power to pass within legal speed limits. Vibrations even at top speeds are very unnoticeable to me. I've been actively making it a point to ride in a good riding position using the lower half of my body to do all the work - that seemed to ween off all of the riding discomforts that I've experienced in learning
I agree Flip. I find the CBR250R has enough reserve power and torque to pass at legal speeds and higher. My general sense is that if I am behind a vehicle on the highway and I am unsure whether I can pass quick enough and safely enough (two-lane highway) - it means that I am already riding above most speed limits - so I really shouldn't be overtaking in the first place - or I should at least wait until a passing lane appears.

Yesterday I was at a local motorcycle dealer and began chatting with a adventure touring rider who was passing through. I mentioned that I rode a CBR250R. The response I got included "That is a good beginner bike before learning how to ride and then moving up to a larger bike" and "That is only a good bike for riding around in the city". I replied that the "CBR is also a good highway bike - and explained that I just took mine loaded up on a lengthy tour. It can do the speed limit as well as other motorcycles and achieves 80+ mpg doing so". Granted the conversation was generally quite amicable. However, after that last statement.....maybe I'm not interpreting the look I received accurately - but all I can say is that the expression on their face seemed to resemble a cross between the feeling you get when you burp and suddenly realize you've just swallowed your own vomit mixed with the sudden realization that the dude next to you in a crowded elevator just evacuated from his lower G.I. what amounts to a toxic chemical assay derived from an afternoon lunch that included copious amounts of pickled eggs and Blatz.

This isn't the first time I have received this kind of look. Why does it make "big bike" riders so angry to hear such a seemingly innocuous statement? It seems to really challenge some strong beliefs they have about smaller displacement bikes being able to maintain the speed limit. It makes me wonder......You want to piss off other riders? Just tell them you tour on your CBR250R. Watch their reaction carefully. I hope their reactions are more positive than the ones I've seen.

Mike

#38 ·
At 65 mph I choose either 5th or 4th and can pass a single car in three to four seconds, both safely and quickly. This morning a passed a semi and SUV in one move without any problems. Took about 10 seconds. All this on a two-lane trunk highway in the passing zones. It is a road I've driven for the past 28 years.

As for 70+ freeway travel, I just tuck in tight and twist. As long as you are paying attention to what the traffic ahead of you is doing and also keep an eye on the mirror to the rear you shouldn't need quick acceleration, just good anticipation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.