Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Cruising RPM & Shifting RPM

33K views 50 replies 35 participants last post by  shisoshin 
#1 ·
Hey everyone!

Took the bike out for the first time and it was awesome.
I was however concerned with my shifting, cruising rpm, etc...

1. Accelerating from 1st gear
I play with the throttle a bit and release the clutch. I try to maintain a low RPM so the transition is smooth. What RPM do you throttle at? I think im doing around 3-4k

2. 60kph/45mph cruising
I try staying in 4th gear because it makes im not over working the engine (4500rpm). Should i be cruising at a lower gear and higher RPM?

3. At what RPM do you switch gears? Ex. from 2 to 3rd gear.

Thanks!
Andy

See less See more
#8 ·
First off, takes 3k miles for the bike to break in. Just bear with it, it won't seem real happy no matter what you do. But you are correct to keep cruise at 4500 rpm during that time.

Once broken in, cruise at 4000 rpm is fine, but don't go wot to accelerate. As for shift rpm, the bike is smoothest and happiest having the living crap beat out of it. Shift just below fuel cut of and do it fast.

That is exactly what it was designed for and the bike will love you for it. Under no circumstances baby it and come back on the forum complaining of some little rattle you can't quite conjure the meaning thereof...

#27 ·
When Im just cruising around town I would shift around past 6k. When Im feeling racey I will shift at aroun 7.5k Is what I mean. The only gear I think I don't usually hit 6k is 1st and maybe 2nd (I don't bother looking down or thinking about it). I have taken those gears past 6k up to 8k I know. I have never redlined mine yet. I don't need to right now. I rely on the sound to dictate shifts sometimes.

#10 ·
I cruise at about 4.5k-5k so it pulls when I turn the throttle. This bike has a huge jump in power between 5k and 6k RPM's. If I'm trying to pass someone or just feel like having fun I'll shift around 9k, otherwise around 6.5k or 7k when cruising around leisurely. If I'm on a road with long gradual hills I'll cruise at 6k-6.5k or so. Nothing is worse than 6th gear on a 55mph road with big hills.

To be honest, you'll find yourself running through all the range on all the gears with this bike. I hit over 7k RPM's in 6th gear on the highway around here all the time since we have high speed limits. 7.5k if I'm riding 2-up, with 8.5k RPM passing.

#12 · (Edited)
I cruise at about 4.5k-5k so it pulls when I turn the throttle. This bike has a huge jump in power between 5k and 6k RPM's. If I'm trying to pass someone or just feel like having fun I'll shift around 9k, otherwise around 6.5k or 7k when cruising around leisurely.
So 4.5k-5k in city cruising on the lower gears(2-4) but about 6.5k-7k in like the highway at higher gears(5-6)? Im just trying to get things clear.

#16 ·
I think the ranges people have provided are all good. You don't want to beat it to death during the break in period, but you never want to lug the engine by being in too high a gear for the RPM either.

Vary your speed and RPM for the first few hundred miles and shift when it feels good, downshift when you are slowing down so you are always in the correct range to accelerate when needed.

#18 ·
After break in. I dont really pay any mind to the rpms. Just the sound of the bike. I,m in 6th gear most of the time in a few seconds for cruising. We mostly have 35 & 45mph straights around here. Lower gears i use in 25mph sections. Works best to save gas for me. Agressive riding i use higher rpms and lower gears.

#19 ·
Personally I just shift when it feels/sounds right. I'll glance down occasionally but I don't really take note of the RPM, just checking speed and fuel. If you shift too soon and it lugs, it's easy enough to go back down, and you'll learn based on the sound.

As long as you're not lugging, and not diving into the red and staying there, you're fine.

#21 ·
There was a fellow from india that said not to take the bike over 4000rpm or some thing like that.
Months later he posted up that his bike would only do 138kph flatout.

This bike does 78kph in 2nd gear.

#22 ·
There was a fellow from india...This bike does 78kph in 2nd gear.
There're quite a few changes from what the bike is sold in India versus the rest of the world; for instance, the engine itself is called MC41 outside India, while its MC42 in India. The valve angles are different, we only got 20W40 mineral oil to begin with compared to 10W30 FS that is available today.

You simply cannot compare India with the developed nations. Things out here are much different.

Yes, the bike also does 106 Kmph on 3rd gear redline, 124 on 4th gear redline, 142 on 5th gear redline.

#23 ·
In my opinion, you can follow any suggested shifting and cruising RPM range suggested by experienced riders and the manufacturer but in the end, you will start to develop a feel for your own bike and not really bother about looking at your tach to determine when to shift. I've been riding since I was 12 (started with dirt bikes) and I never base my shifting on the tach but rather thru feel and the kind of riding I am doing.

When you are happy, your bike is also happy.

#29 ·
Depends on the time of day, and surrounding traffic. Urban/city riding, it'll be low revs, gear changes around 4.5-7, and if I'm in a rush to get somewhere or out in the hills, as close to redline as possible. There's a thread here somewhere that talks about peak performance shifting, if you're trying to build speed quick you shift as close to redline as possible, as the next gear up will place your revs pretty close to the 8500 rpm sweet spot.

That and high revs with an aftermarket pipe just make you look more BA than you should :)

#34 ·
Depends on mood, Ramza. Like others have stated you can shift anywhere, but if I'm in no particularly special mood I'll usually shift at 4-6k rpm for the first few gears.

If I'm feeling like a rocket pilot, redline.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.