Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

How much wind protection?

8K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  doktor 
#1 ·
Hey guys, how's it going?

I'll get right to the point here. I'm considering a CBR 250 as my next bike. The only thing I'm wondering is: How is the wind protection of the stock windshield at 55-70mph? I'm planning a long trip with much of it at that speed. I'm about 6' 1''. I just want to know if my head will be wanting to fly off my body like on other bikes I've ridden. (KLR 650, Multiple cruisers without windshields where your body acts like a sail, etc)

Do you guys experience severe buffeting to the face at those speeds? Constant/clean flow? Wind to the helmet and torso? Only Helmet? Any info is appreciated.

Thanks!

Mik

#3 ·
I'm 6' and everything feels good after 1000 miles. You can also buy a slip on windscreen that goes over-top the stock.

Check out steveeeee in the forums.

#5 ·
Just fitted a Puig Windscreen, at 5-10" I found the buffeting noise to be pretty bad with the stock windscreen - not to mention that the stock screen flexes a bit so creates a slight tearing sound over 80kph. The Puig has, even on my first test ride today made the bike a quieter less windy place to be. I now only have clean air hitting my helmet.

#6 ·
#8 ·
I'm 6'1 and I feel a bit like a sail at highway speed. I'm thinking of getting the Puig screen as it has received good reviews here and it's not that expensive. I think you'll like the bike with or without the aftermarket screen, but having one should make it even more enjoyable.

#14 ·
I guess it all depends on your own weird body measurements and ride position. For me, at 6'1", the stock windshield blasts wind directly into my grill. My friend, who is also 6'1", has zero issues with stock kit.

I'm looking forward to those Zero Gravity screens and will probably pick one up when I can.

#15 ·
I'm 5'7" and wind buffeting isn't any worse on this bike than any other bike i've had. I think helmet choice is at least as important as windscreen...definite factor anyway. Might be worth trying to find someone to let you test ride. FWIW i'm pudgy, and can't figure out how to get tucked into position to make the wind screen work for me :). Also consider, if you're going long distance you might have a tank bag, tail bag, other luggage that could change how you sit, or how the bike handles. I know with the tank bag I have, i get less wind to the chest due to it blocking.

#16 ·
(6') My head gets knocked around a lot above 55. I lean in a bit and it's better but I need to lay on the tank to really get out of it. It would not be comfortable for me to ride in a full tuck for more than 15-20 minutes at a time. I too am anxiously awaiting the ZG sport touring windscreen.

#19 ·
I find the stock windshield adequate but flimsy. There is a more notable amount of turbulence when I'm going 80 in standard posture than what I experience with the stock shield on an EX-500, but it's of minimal concern and a slightly aggressive tuck (to me, about 30 degrees instead of the base 19 degrees, and not a tank tuck) will bring the level to the sweet spot of my helmet.

MRA Double-Bubble RacingScreen Windshield for (Honda CBR250R '11-) - MRA.01.067.R : TwistedThrottle.com

This one looks interesting to me, but I'm okay with the stocker for now.

#22 ·
Not mythical, but also not cheap...
Tyga Performance - Screen, Touring, Dark Tint, OEM Honda, 2011 CBR125/150/250R - Screens

I've got this on mine, and since I'm old :mad: I don't do tuck very well, this directs the air flow to just about my neck, with me bent slightly forward, just enough to reach the handlebars, there is only a slight hint of buffeting, but I wear a half-helmet. I expect that with a full face helmet, a reasonably athletic person that actually can bend that far, there should be almost no felt wind. I am just under 6' with an inseam of 30". I have no complaints about the functioning of it. I'm in a self-debate whether to just cutting the "wings" off of the stock 'shield, as they stick out the side, just grind them in til they are actually part of inner windshield.
They are very easy to install as they don't require any kind of major disassembling of the fairing such as is required for the other styles of windshields. Merely pull the mirrors off, align the holes, put the mirrors back on, there you have it. They say that they are "original" equipment, but apparently only in Thailand.
I think the shipping was around $40, fairly expensive, but I would recommend it to anyone interested in getting away from being beat to death by the wind. I'd do it again if I broke mine or damaged it.

Doc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.