Sprocket for higher top speed? - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 04-26-2016, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Sprocket for higher top speed?

Hey guys, just was wondering if anybody has found a good sprocket setup for getting a little more top speed? Before i say anything else i want to say that im not looking to go over 100 AT ALL, but with the riding that ive been doing and will continue to do, i dont exactly like the feeling of ringing the cbr's neck to stay with the crowd, we constantly ride at around 75 ( yes i know thats speeding, and its also illegal, spare those comments please, i know the potential consequences) but this thing is revving constantly at like 8,500 rpms at that speed and so has anybody came up with a good sprocket set up for that? The 250 off the line keeps up with every one of the bikers i ride with, because they have cruisers and so we do just that, cruise. I realize im going to have to sacrifice some low end torque but im not looking to win any races to begin with. Thanks in advance!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

"You Don't need a therapist if you own a motorcycle, any kind of motorcycle!" - Dan Akroyd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-26-2016, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,619 Times in 1,921 Posts
Did you see this sticky: Performance Forum: Gearing Thread Index ... this index has a number of threads listed which pertain to final drive gearing.
cbrlocal likes this.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #3 of 22 Old 04-26-2016, 08:54 PM

Two cheapest options:

1. 7% higher gearing. Fit a 15T front. Not sure about the States but i can get one here for less than $20.

2. 6% higher. Slap a CBR300 sprocket on the rear. It has two less teeth than the 250R (36 vs 38)

2013 CBR250R repsol (sold)
2014 CBR300R (current)
GSXR400R (track bike)
"Knees in the breeze is my only disease"

post #4 of 22 Old 04-27-2016, 05:03 AM

Garage
Have you owned the bike from new? Check that it's already on standard gearing. At 75mph it should be turning about 7300rpm not 8500.
post #5 of 22 Old 04-27-2016, 07:38 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Have you owned the bike from new? Check that it's already on standard gearing. At 75mph it should be turning about 7300rpm not 8500.
Or he could use the 6 gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi rider View Post
Two cheapest options:

1. 7% higher gearing. Fit a 15T front. Not sure about the States but i can get one here for less than $20.

2. 6% higher. Slap a CBR300 sprocket on the rear. It has two less teeth than the 250R (36 vs 38)
I go (ride) with the 300R chainset.
I changed in january.
It's probably the easiest solution.
And (here) the 300R chainset cost, on the bike @ a Honda dealer, less than 100 US alltogether!

Disclaimer:
Can contain irony and/or sarcasm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 22 Old 04-27-2016, 09:38 AM

would this also help in fuel mileage too? ...I know, I know kind of the opposite of 'trying to go faster', but if I were to be at a constant 60 or 65 mph, the RPM's would be lower too and one would assume, less revolutions per minute, less fuel?

...........or am I totally off base??? (I'm new to bikes, but in cars this makes sense too)

2012 CBR250R Naked Orange
post #7 of 22 Old 04-27-2016, 10:01 AM

For me, it's about the same.
Still 3.3 l/ 100km
Only it does look like 3.5l
Because the Odo is now 6% behind
(of what he showed before)

The CBR250R Gas Mileage Thread

but I have to say, I pretty much drive "ear controlled".
And looking on the Speedo, every now and then, tells me,
I still ride 100 @ 6krpm, where I did that before, too.
Which means, I drive now about 6 % quicker in daily average

Disclaimer:
Can contain irony and/or sarcasm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 22 Old 04-27-2016, 10:59 AM

Garage
Great site to help you understand the different sprocket sizes and what they do - Gearing Commander: Motorcycle Speed, RPM, Chain & Sprockets Calculator
capetowndave likes this.

CMRA #914
2012 CBR600RR - Track Bike
2012 CBR250R - Track Bike
2012 Ninja 250 - For Sale
post #9 of 22 Old 04-27-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Depends on the region I think. Speedo's are a bit optimistic in places. Here in the states, it is apparently spot-on by my measurements, but my tach reads ~6900RPM at 65MPH.

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
post #10 of 22 Old 04-27-2016, 12:19 PM

cford, many have changed to a 15t front, but this does affect city riding. Usually, many report that the CeeBee doesn't have the balls to really pull any harder with a gear change at the top end, and many say their top speed is actually reduced by changing the gearing. Thinking in an extreme case but applicable, severely reducing the final drive would allow you to theoretically do 60MPH at 4kRPM, but the bike doesn't put out enough HP at those revs to hold that speed. So reducing higher speed RPM doesn't mean you can go faster necessarily.

It may sound/feel like you're ringing its little neck, but trust me, it's built for it and loves it. I contemplated changing gearing, but stayed with the factory gears for several reasons, and not wanting to fool with a speedo healer. Honda knew what they were doing when the paired the gearing combo with the engine characteristics for daily riders.
Keith and Onetock like this.

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page