Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

K & N filter

7K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  MotoMike 
#1 ·
Is this worth getting for the cbr? Are there any noticable power or mpg gains? Thanks

#6 ·
I had a K&N for my other bike and loved it.Yeah it gets dirty fast, but think about it this way, would you rather dirt go though the filter or on it. I personally don't care how messy it gets, because I know that my engine will stay clean. If your filter is getting dirty, you know it's doing its job.

If not for performance gains, its still a nice upgrade because its cleanable. if you buy a k&N you never have to buy another air filter again, just keep it clean.

#5 ·
I like mine!:)

But dont get the idea you will hop on it and be like ********************!!!

it is only an air filter, but it will compliment any other upgrades you exhaust, air box mods and so forth. to often people look at one component and this will do it all alone. Look at the over all picture!
And buy the way i get them at cost.:D i maybe able to past the savings on to you, P M me.

#15 ·
In reality, those filters were made fore people racing and running their engines under extreme conditions. It's kind of like a loud pipe; you won't need it unless you're running it wide open, and it's not gonna help on the bottom end anyway. The oiling of the filter is an attempt to catch dirt and make up for the fact that they don't filter as well as OEM filters. Under normal driving conditions, your airbox is not your weakest link. I'd say unless you have a specific need for it like racing where fractions of a second count, I wouldn't sacrifice the filtering properties of an OEM filter.

#16 ·
There is also a perception that the K&N filter is more economical than the OEM Honda filters, but that doesn't really add up... OEM Honda air filters are about $14.00 MSRP ($10.00 online), compared to $50.00 for a K&N, plus another $20.00 for the K&N re-charger kit. Honda's service interval for the OEM air filter is 12,000 miles, with more frequent replacement if operated in dusty or wet conditions. So using 8,000 miles as a more realistic average service interval, you would have to go through five (5) OEM air filters @ $14.00 each to equal the cost of the K&N filter and the re-charger kit... over the course of 40,000 miles. That's the break even point... only after 40,000 miles, assuming the K&N filter is still serviceable, is when you would start to see any $ savings. So then the question is, will you still own the bike at 40,000 miles to begin to realize any savings?

#18 ·
My opinion is I would never run a K&N filter in anything. I have seen dozens of automobiles, ATV's and street bikes that have had them and maintained the filter " cleaning and oiling" and have found more dirt and sand than I ever want to see sitting in the throat of the carb/ TB. And for those who don'y maintain the filter will see a ton more debris. just my .02

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.