Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Gutted Cat

6K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  spdklls 
#1 · (Edited)
I just wanted to post it up in case anyone else would be curious in the future. I gutted the cat on the stock pipe today using a 1" spade drill bit. It had that hard, more metallic material that was difficult to remove.

Difference in sound is hardly noticeable. I really cant hear any difference. So no worries in that department. butt dyno approves, however I am sure there isnt a difference in reality. good mod considering its free, cant really think of any foreseeable negatives, and pretty darn easy to do on the bike.

cheers,

- Neal

#3 ·
to gutt the exhaust is quite a popular mod here in thailand.
it adds a wee bit of power and usuallly makes the bike a bit louder too(not much). we had a stock cbr and one gutted cbr and the gutted one was a bit hotter:)
it sure helps to keep the coppers away....
enjoy the ride
george

#6 ·
I dont understand this at all, perhaps I'm missing something? How can that "wee bit of power" (in a response) which "however I am sure there isnt a difference in reality" be a "good mod"?

Lets say its 0.5HP, that equals ~3% more power...for the price of removing the cat, which 100% guaranteed removed the environment protecting effect, and in a few countries would make the bike illegal to boot. At least it was free haha.

Sounds like the worst mod I can think of. I must be missing something...

#9 ·
@ cbrdave
almost all mods hamper with the street legality of the bike - nothing new there.
we modders are some naughty boyz, however hard mom tried. are you a cop or what?
this world aint gonna end because someone gutts his cbr250 cat and you know it´s bs. take the cbr instead of your car and you do start to make a little difference.
happy riding
i´ve googled gutted cat - shocking...

#10 · (Edited)
... almost all mods hamper with the street legality of the bike - nothing new there.
we modders are some naughty boyz...
I don't know about that... if you take a look over on the Appearance & Modifications forum, I think you will find that most of what people are calling "mods", really amount to little more than cosmetic farkles. Repainted exhaust heat shields, anodized fork bolts, levers, oil filler caps, valve stem caps, handle bar end weights, wheel rim tape, Hello Kitty and/or skull & cross bone decals, and other such nonsense is hardly the stuff of bad biker boyz. :eek: And the vast majority of those things are hardly illegal. "Son, the reason I pulled you over is because of the placement of your Hello Kitty decals". "But I can explain Officer Barbrady... " :)

Obviously modifying or altering the stock muffler is illegal, but so is removing it completely and installing an aftermarket exhaust (which many here have done, myself included). What I don't understand is why anyone would hack up their stock muffler, for no real measurable gain, when it's so easy to just replace it with an aftermarket exhaust? At the very least, an aftermarket unit will look and sound better than anything you could ever do to the stock muffler, and some aftermarket exhausts will actually improve the bikes performance, however modest that gain may be. And you would still have the stock muffler completely intact for when you sell your CBR (which it seems that most "modders" will sell their CBR250's in the next year or two... from what I've been reading here on the forums, the people who have largely kept their bike in original stock condition are more likely to hang on to their CBR's for many years to come).

#11 ·
you´re right about the "mods" mike lol

who says there´s no gain in taking the cat out? i say there is! we tested it with two identical cbr´s (one gutted....)
the gain is usually around 10% in cars and motorcycles
and it keeps the cops away from you:).
the people that make/enforce the laws are always more obsessed with them, then those who have to abide them.

cheers

#14 · (Edited)
you´re right about the "mods" mike lol
who says there´s no gain in taking the cat out? i say there is! we tested it with two identical cbr´s (one gutted....)
the gain is usually around 10% in cars and motorcycles
and it keeps the cops away from you:).
So you reckon this will get me ~2HP? Sweet!! :rolleyes: Thats better than a slip on AND a PC/Juice box!

the people that make/enforce the laws are always more obsessed with them, than those who have to abide them.
I would hope thats true haha :).

If you ever get pulled over just dont tell the cop that you gutted your cat, nobody will ever be any wiser. SHHH our secret. Sorry had to be sarcastic.
And when you sell the bike as Mike pointed out? I guess its okay to dupe someone and lie or just "forget" to mention it...:)

#12 ·
OMG you gutted your CAT? The pollution you will be adding to the ozone OMG the world will end tomorrow!!!!

If you want to see pollution come to Manila. If I take off in the morning wearing a white shirt, and ride in traffic all day by the time I get home the shirt will be a dingy grey. There are more diesel vehicles here that just POUR smoke out of their exhaust. Everybody says look at L.A. all the pollution, I can go outside of my condo and see the pollution up close and personal.

If you ever get pulled over just dont tell the cop that you gutted your cat, nobody will ever be any wiser. SHHH our secret. Sorry had to be sarcastic.

Reactions: Jme250RA
#17 ·
Imagine what L.A. would look like if all the emissions regulations hadn't happened. L.A. drivers burn 3x the gasoline they did in the 60s.

I know the 250 is small, but if everyone had the same attitude that their little extra contribution to pollution was just a drop in the ocean, we'd have the tragedy of the commons we used to.

#16 ·
my lv slip-on $200 from member here..
he re-installed the standard exhaust to sell,
thus recouping $200 cash, added to the sale..

doubt that drilling cat would gain 13.8lb saving
which is the saving from this slip-on replacement..

designed and tuned for cgr250r by leo vince
this quality well fitting italian made exhaust
does slightly enhance power/torque [as well]
without ecu reset or mapping etc..

$ may not be actual hp but they still
buys tires, new lighter battery, etc..

[i also had a response to 'cat gutted'
thinking bazil my staffordshire terrier
had got hold out and done his duty]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.