Naked Repsol Progress - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 02-23-2017, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Naked Repsol Progress

Hi everyone,
I figured I'd start a progress thread for this project since I've started to accumulate quite a few pictures.

I recently picked up a 2013 repsol edition and decided to take it down a different path. I've seen a few naked conversions done on other color combos, but a lot of threads just kind of fizzle out. Hopefully that won't be the case here.

My overall goal is to be able to switch back over to stock configuration (using stock cluster and not cutting anything important). Luckily the stock headlight harness has a disconnect at the triple tree and used headlight harnesses are $12 on eBay. So I'll be chopping up a spare harness in order to essentially have a headlight/blinker "kit" that plugs into the stock harness.

More updates to come.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1820_1487851968130.jpg (175.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1467_1487852565689.jpg (148.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1873_1487852651965.jpg (135.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1876_1487852685102.jpg (162.5 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1869_1487852742055.jpg (107.9 KB, 44 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-23-2017, 03:54 PM

Garage
I'll be watching to see how this goes. God forbid the day my plastics break I may follow your lead.

2013 Black CBR250R ABS, forced to haul my 6'1 270lb butt.
post #3 of 18 Old 02-23-2017, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,611 Times in 1,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestBacon View Post
... God forbid the day my plastics break I may follow your lead.
I'm not sure why, but there seems to be a fairly common misconception that the painted body parts on these bikes is expensive... the truth is that OEM plastics are very inexpensive for the 250R's, particularly compared to the prices of body panels for the bigger CBR's.

As for the whole idea of trying to turn a CBR250R into a 'naked' or 'street fighter' looking bike, to each there own. I've only seen one example where it turned out to be a really good looking result, and that was due to the owner going all out and painstakingly fabricating custom side and fuel tank filler panels and an upper cowl out of fiberglass (somewhat similar in appearance to the look of the Honda CB300F plastics).

That said, most efforts by owners to turn their 250R's into a naked bike largely fail, in that the result is less of a "naked bike" look, and more the look of a sport bike that is simply missing most of its original body work. As if a mechanic were test riding the bike to make sure everything is right before installing the side cowls & fairings back on.

Like I said, to each their own... it's your bike to do with as you see fit. For myself, I much prefer the look of the CBR250R with all of its OEM body work intact. IMHO, Honda designers got it right from the start.
Keith likes this.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #4 of 18 Old 02-23-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
I'm not sure why, but there seems to be a fairly common misconception that the painted body parts on these bikes is expensive... the truth is that OEM plastics are very inexpensive for the 250R's, particularly compared to the prices of body panels for the bigger CBR's.

As for the whole idea of trying to turn a CBR250R into a 'naked' or 'street fighter' looking bike, to each there own. I've only seen one example where it turned out to be a really good looking result, and that was due to the owner going all out and painstakingly fabricating custom side and fuel tank filler panels and an upper cowl out of fiberglass (somewhat similar in appearance to the look of the Honda CB300F plastics).

That said, most efforts by owners to turn their 250R's into a naked bike largely fail, in that the result is less of a "naked bike" look, and more the look of a sport bike that is simply missing most of its original body work. As if a mechanic were test riding the bike to make sure everything is right before installing the side cowls & fairings back on.

Like I said, to each their own... it's your bike to do with as you see fit. For myself, I much prefer the look of the CBR250R with all of its OEM body work intact. IMHO, Honda designers got it right from the start.
I totally agree with you here...and I do have a 'naked' CBR250R, BUT it came that way from they guy whom I bought it. It was only $1000 for a bike with 1800 miles on it, so I said, sure! why not!?
Now I'm just riding it for fun and to save up to get something else in the future. But definitely just do what you want and make it your own!

2012 CBR250R Naked Orange
post #5 of 18 Old 02-23-2017, 11:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
Thats true but also relative. Depending on what part breaks could be anywhere from $10-$60 per part. Definitely cheaper then the plastics of other bikes but still money out of pocket. Trying to turn one of our bikes into a naked would probably cost as much as a set of plastics when all is said and done so it comes down to a matter of opinion and preference. Still fun to have options.

2013 Black CBR250R ABS, forced to haul my 6'1 270lb butt.
post #6 of 18 Old 02-24-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeev View Post
I totally agree with you here...and I do have a 'naked' CBR250R, BUT it came that way from they guy whom I bought it. It was only $1000 for a bike with 1800 miles on it, so I said, sure! why not!?
Because a lot of crashed sport bikes are turned into naked bikes.
If someone sells a sport bike turned naked with such low mileage for just one grand then I would be very cautious as it's very likely the guy wrecked his bike and didn't want / wasn't able to repair it properly.

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Schroeder; 02-24-2017 at 03:43 PM.
post #7 of 18 Old 02-26-2017, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

I was able to work on the bike a little this weekend on and off. I got my new harness cut down and added the male/female disconnects for headlight and turn signals. Additionally I was able to mock up the headlight mounting with some scrap brackets/hardware I had laying around the garage (this is just proof of concept and will be changing). Lessons learned #1: Don't forget to calculate the resistor size for your LED bar and install prior to powering on your electrical system.

Once I get my resistor installed and mounted I'll be cleaning up the wiring up front, cutting new light brackets, getting rid of my pressure treated 2x4 cluster mount, and start looking into a "high beam" light. But the second I plug everything in and don't blow a fuse (silly ohms law), I'm going for a spin (30 degrees or not).

I suppose I should have given a little more detail in my first post.

I'll primarily be riding this too and from work in a metro area. It will never see highway speeds. It really serves as a means for me to satisfy my never ending urge to tinker with things as well as allows me get back onto a bike after I was rear ended last season on a much more sentimental bike. Enough words, on to the pics!

[http://www.cbr250.net/forum/attachme...hmentid=37706]

[http://www.cbr250.net/forum/attachme...hmentid=37714]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1892_1488158780984.jpg (141.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1887_1488158880587.jpg (104.3 KB, 30 views)
post #8 of 18 Old 02-28-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
Because a lot of crashed sport bikes are turned into naked bikes.
If someone sells a sport bike turned naked with such low mileage for just one grand then I would be very cautious as it's very likely the guy wrecked his bike and didn't want / wasn't able to repair it properly.
The seller was moving out of state and couldn't keep it, so he just wanted a fast sale, he did have it listed for double that 6 months before re-listing it before he moved... but everything is fine for me with the bike; I put on another 2500 miles last year on it with no issues. ...also, I really love not having any fairings or a windscreen in front of me.
don'tpanic likes this.

2012 CBR250R Naked Orange
post #9 of 18 Old 03-01-2017, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

So it turns out that the headlight has it's own circuit which explains why I blew my fuse the other day. The LED has very little resistance and since there are no other components on this circuit, must have pulled more than 10 amps momentarily causing my fuse to blow. I calculated that I need a 2ohm 50w resistor, but 6ohm 50w resistors are much more easily obtainable (these are used to eliminate hyperflash due to LED blinkers). Long story short, I checked the resistance of a non-LED blinker I had laying around and it just so happened that it was 6ohms. So I put that in series with the headlight (purely as a bench test) and everything lit up without blowing a fuse. My actual 6ohm resistor should be here in a few days. While this will likely cause the LED bar to be slightly dimmer, it should also extend the overall life of the bar (in theory). I also cleaned up a little wiring and checked the bar again with a 9v just to get a pic.

(Embedded photo attempt)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1908_1488388204434.jpg (127.6 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1905_1488388393027.jpg (73.3 KB, 96 views)
post #10 of 18 Old 03-02-2017, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Getting there. Resistor mounting plate will be painted black and temporary zip tie will be replaced with hardware. The ends of that plate will be bent 90 degrees and provide mounting provisions for blinkers as well.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1920_1488514272683.jpg (103.3 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1922_1488514419446.jpg (76.1 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1917_1488514547862.jpg (91.9 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1918_1488514666451.jpg (115.8 KB, 93 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page