Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

how far out is your speedo??

4K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  patrick.ogrady 
#1 ·
hey guys, i'm curious to know how far out your speedo is. it seems mine is about 10 kms out. 110km/h by my speedo is pretty close to 100km/h in a car. i haven't tested it with gps yet. but am curious to know if anyone has this problem.

cheers

Joel

#2 ·
Apparently those that ship to the U.S market have accurate speedometers, but for all other countries, the speedo is out by +10% which tallies with your experience.

I too would like to have my speedo accurately tested. When riding in some particular speed zone, I just read 10% over on the LED and think should be about right.

If misguided in doing this, I'll let you know if I get a ticket. ;)

#7 ·
I passed by a couple of those big speed signs that tell you how fast you are going and it was only about one off or my speedo was reading 25 and the sign was flashing between 23 and 24mph.

#10 ·
The Australian model is almost exactly 10% out.
9.3% or something like that.

Just do 66 in a 60 zone, 88 in an 80, 110 in a 100, and so on.

#12 ·
Mine is spot on and WAY more accurate than my Ninja250's.
I used to sweat going by known speed traps on my Ninja because I really had no idea what speed I was actually going.
You could chop off 5mph and still worry you were speeding, it was that inaccurate.
I feel a lot more confident on the CBR in the same situation.

#13 ·
yes the Australian ones are out by about 10%

it makes me feel so fast in the twistys, but then i realise i'm not really going as fast as it says :(

#14 ·
yes the Australian ones are out by about 10%

it makes me feel so fast in the twistys, but then i realise i'm not really going as fast as it says :(
I can not figure out why the speedo's on the bikes used in Australia and other countries that use km's are not accurate. I have checked my U.S. model with my gps in mph mode and the bike is spot on. Then switched both the gps and the speedo on the bike to kph and it is still spot on. It would be interesting to find out if the part # of the speedo is the same on an aussie bike to a yank bike.

#15 ·
Something to keep in mind, is that as your rear tire wears down the speedo will read a slightly higher speed than what your actual road speed is. The smaller diameter of a worn rear tire has to rotate more for a given distance, than a new tire (of the same brand, model, and size) would for the same distance. Thus, the worn tire will cause the speedo to read faster than the true road speed. A larger diameter tire than the OEM stock size would have the opposite effect... the speedo will read slower than the true road speed.

#17 · (Edited)
I purchased a SpeedoDRD speedo healer from 12 O'clock Labs online. Now my speedo readings matches my GPS perfectly. Others have stated on this forum that a speedo healer is apparently illegal in some countries. That may be true - and I don't know what the legislation reads in Canada - and personally - I don't give a flying f*&k. I want to know exactly how fast or slow I'm going at all times. I appreciate precision and accuracy. All of my three bikes now have speedo healers. This is the best single mod I've done to my CBR250R yet.

Mike

#18 ·
... Others have stated on this forum that a speed healer is apparently illegal in some countries...

Mike
That seems so crazy that something which can correct an inaccurate speedo, would be considered illegal in certain countries. Maybe the lawmakers are concerned that, because it has to be programmed for each individual application, there is too high a probability for errors which would then lead to people driving well over (or under) the posted speed limits. Must be some sort of logic behind such a law.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.