Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Handlebar question

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Aufitt 
#1 ·
I see there are bolts on the handlebar-can they be adjusted? I would like the ends closer to me.

#5 ·
You can adjust them if you cut off that little tab/locator. I did it to mine and it made a noticeable difference in my riding comfort. It's easy enough to do; just loosen and remove the handlebars one at a time (you can leave the cables and controls in place) and use your little Dremel cutting wheel to zip those tabs off. Takes just a few minutes. The only problem is you have a limited amount of adjustment because your hands will hit the fuel tank when you turn if you adjust too far. Experiment with your comfort zone here before your final bolt tightening. This little adjustment makes a big difference.

On the negative side, you will have cut off and thrown away the only things that keep the handlebars from crushing the fuel tank if they hit the ground, so tighten them pretty tight and try not to fall off the bike when you're moving.

Enjoy!

#6 ·
... On the negative side, you will have cut off and thrown away the only things that keep the handlebars from crushing the fuel tank if they hit the ground, so tighten them pretty tight and try not to fall off the bike when you're moving...
lol... always good advise to "try not to fall off the bike when moving". Probably a good idea to not fall off the bike when you're not moving, as well. ;)

Seriously though, you don't want to exceed the specified torque* for those bolts which hold the handle bars to the top of the fork tubes... If they were excessively tightened, and those bolts or the handle bar itself were to fail while you are riding, you would be screwed. You have been warned... proceed at your own risk.

* Often people think of torque specs as "recommendations" so that fasteners don't become loose and fall off... The reality is that for critical fasteners, like axle nuts, fork triple clamps, and handle bar clamps (just to name a few) the specified torque values for these are all about safety... that the bolt or nut won't come loose, but also so that it does not fail due to being over torqued.

#7 · (Edited)
If one wanted to move the handle bars back a bit, say 1/4" to 3/8" measured at the bar end weight, which will still give you adequate clearance with the fuel tank, you could use a die cutting bit in a Dremel tool to carefully remove a small amount of material from the back side of the locating tab on each handle bar. And without having to remove the tab completely, which is not a good idea IMO. And you wouldn't feel tempted to over torque the clamping bolts either.

#8 ·
I certainly not advise the removal of the locators,they are there for a reason and that is to ensure handle bars do not rotate. Imagine going to turn steering and it swivels around, then you have no steering. You can imagine what happens then. They are there for safety to stop swivel in handlebars. I certainly would not remove mine. If you have that much of a problem helibars would be the way to go for safety reasons.

#9 · (Edited)
I certainly not advise the removal of the locators,they are there for a reason and that is to ensure handle bars do not rotate. Imagine going to turn steering and it swivels around, then you have no steering. You can imagine what happens then. They are there for safety to stop swivel in handlebars. I certainly would not remove mine. If you have that much of a problem helibars would be the way to go for safety reasons.
By the time the bars are moving its a bit late to be worrying about how straight they are because the bike is tumbling down the road.

A file off the tabs works wonders.
2mm off the tabs equals a whole heap at the bar ends.
I moved mine as forward as possible.
As said its the clamp that hold them on, the tabs are just for assembly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.