How to drain gas tank - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #1

Default How to drain gas tank

Hi my bike has been out of commission for over a month. It is a 2011 with 10,000 miles on it and suddenly died on the freeway. It cranks and gets good spark (verified with new plug) but will not fire whatsoever.

I want to drain the tank and try fresh fuel as a first step just to rule this out but I'm not sure how this is done and whether it is easy.

Beyond this the troubleshooting guide says:

1. Inspect the fuel pump and fuel flow - anyone have any guidance on how to do that?

2. Check PGM-FI system - again any tips?

3.Check cylinder compression - can I do this in my garage? Do I need special tools?

Really trying to avoid hauling this several hours to the nearest service shop and paying for repairs. I am a capable mechanic but have no experience with fuel injection systems.

I would be really surprised if the engine was damaged and lost compression with only 10k on it. I've heard these bikes can run 100k under mostly full throttle conditions so it is hard to imagine how the engine could be ruined so soon... unless the previous owner ran it low on oil, but that seems unlikely since it was running smoothly for me before it suddenly died on the freeway.

Appreciate all feedback. I will likely never again buy a Honda.

Last edited by mybikewontstart; 05-26-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Firstly, to judge Honda based on the fact that you have a hiccup with your bike doesn't make a lot of sense based on not knowing what is wrong.

1. When you turn on the key does your fuel pump run for a couple seconds? you could remove the feed line from the tank to the fuel injector and turn on the bike to see if the pump is still working. The pump cycles when the key is turned on so it should push fuel. Make sure to securely hold the fuel line when doing this and have it squirt into an empty container.

2. Is your check engine light on or blinking. the PGM-FI system is equipped with a self-diagnostic system.

3. to check cylinder compression you need to remove the spark plug and screw in a compression tester and crank the engine over to get a reading.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jme250RA For This Useful Post:
mybikewontstart (05-27-2013)
Old 05-26-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,130 Times in 1,589 Posts

There is an existing thread by the OP, regarding the same issue, with the same bike: Bike won't start thread
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #4

I've already made all my comments on the earlier thread from the same guy with the same bike about the same problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to Deanohh For This Useful Post:
MotoMike (05-26-2013)
Old 05-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,130 Times in 1,589 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanohh View Post
I've already made all my comments on the earlier thread from the same guy with the same bike about the same problem.
Same here.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:08 AM   #6
Super Moderator

OP if you already have a thread open about the same issue, try to keep all your posts in there, try not to start a new thread about it please

- Black Adjustable Levers
- HRC Carbon Fibre Tank Pad
- Hotbodies FE Kit
- 16,000km's in 12 months

2011 GSX-R600 Black

Last edited by lewiCBR250R; 05-27-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement