Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

CCT Issue!!!

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  BitTraveller 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys I found some rattling sound from the engine side only during idling and first cranking of the bike after many hrs(usually in the mornings). When I showed in SVC the mechanic told me it was the probs of CCT(Cam Chain Tensioner). Anyone has changed the CCT and I can't distinguish this sound from that of the shim(as I have changed the shims at 7K). Both these sounds(CCT and shims) seems same for me:(. Only difference is that shims sound appears all the time but CCT is only at the idealing(when revved or ridden few kms its almost disappeared) Also as the CCT is not available in the SVC is there any probs in riding the bike, doesn't it cause any harm to the engine?

#4 · (Edited)
Why it is tweaked by the dealer? I mean its just a very lil amount for the tensioner. Could have changed it rite. I have bought it and will be replacing it day after tomorrow. As per the mechanic it won't cause any issue to the engine, its just a irritating sound which makes me nervous:)

#5 ·
Did not know what was done by the dealer it was just their explanation. But whatever they did do lessoned the engine rattle. Replacement was not an option I was given - even at my cost. But thanks for the info I may buy one if it is that simple and change it at the next oil service. If having it replaced totally eliminates the rattle all together that would be super.

#7 ·
yes bro the tensioner cost 437Rs INR or around 8 USD:).

If your CCT bites the bag and lets the cam chain skip a tooth, it's pretty much a given that the piston will hit a valve.

I know of a few guys with FJR's that f'd up doing a valve adjust and mis-timed the cams on reinstall. If your lucky, it gets retarded. no damage (but the bike won't run worth hell over 3000 rpm), if it gets advanced. You get to shell out for all new valves, and maybe a piston if your really unlucky.

I'd call that catastrophic.
Thanks for that info bro. I took my bike for some 200 odd kms today and found these things. In third gear the bike revs upto 8K rpm and makes a pause there and slowly revs up to redline. Forth gear same thing but the pause occurs at 7K, 5th gear the revs stops up around 7K rpm:( and never redlines. My query is does this CCT issue coz any top end lag/probs? I couldn't push my bike more than 125kmph which is an embarrassing movement for me:eek::(:mad:

#6 ·
If your CCT bites the bag and lets the cam chain skip a tooth, it's pretty much a given that the piston will hit a valve.

I know of a few guys with FJR's that f'd up doing a valve adjust and mis-timed the cams on reinstall. If your lucky, it gets retarded. no damage (but the bike won't run worth hell over 3000 rpm), if it gets advanced. You get to shell out for all new valves, and maybe a piston if your really unlucky.

I'd call that catastrophic.

#8 ·
Sorry to dig up this topic again. I have changed the tensioner around 6K before and now its showing time for another replacement:mad:. I have changed the twice in 12K period now. My friends who owns the bike is not facing this tensioner issue. So I wonder whether this could be exactly the tensioner issue or not. Could this be any other parts issue who is the actual culprit?
I need some real help on this guys, am not a techine in the engine side, so people who has lot more idea pls advise. Do I need to check any other engine part for this issue? Pls advise. thanks

#9 ·
I have no other issue on this bike other than 5.5K engine rattle. I think it is interestingly odd that you have to replace the tensioner periodically eventhough it wasn't solve the problem. Why don't you ask the dealer to check the bike intensively, since other bikes don't face the same issue..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.