CBR250RA won't start, turn over, or crank - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 87 Old 01-18-2016, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
mbr

Garage
CBR250RA won't start, turn over, or crank

Hi all,

So I haven't been riding since the temperature started dropping and didn't have suitable gloves to keep riding. It's basically been in the "shop" for a couple months now, recently winterized, though.

Well, long story short, I had a friend swap out the chain for an RK Racing and finally got my -1 front sprocket and was pretty excited to try it out when the bad news came: the bike simply won't start!

It's done this before where it would start, stumble, and then die. Repeat several times and then it would run. It seems overall since acquiring in July that startup problems have progressively gotten worse and a little throttle would get it going but today, it won't even crank; all you here is the ignition or whatever but no stumbling.

Oil overfill might be possible (friend also did an oil change), and perhaps it is too cold. I almost wanted to just bring the bike indoors to warm it up and see if it would start. But recent Google searches have turned up results related to carburetor cleaning pretty consistently.

This video isn't of a CBR250 but it shows exactly what's happening to mine right now and the sound that you're hearing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwlw2ljGAkE

Is it possible that the carburetor is just clogged and that's what would cause this? Do I need to go on a DIY adventure with J2R?

Also, unrelated question, but how much do you think I could get for mine with around 8-9k miles on it? It's got ABS, a new rear tire (as of July), new RK racing chain, new sprockets. Just curious - might help with a down payment on a house if it's worth it.

Thanks!

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the Lord. [Proverbs 21:31]

Last edited by mbr; 01-18-2016 at 11:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 Old 01-18-2016, 11:58 AM

The CBR 250 is fuel injected and doesn't have a carb.
Are you sure you have enough juice in the battery?
Mine has problems starting up after winter storage too but i usually just have to give it a small amount of gas and plenty of tries to fire it up eventually.

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 87 Old 01-18-2016, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
mbr

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
The CBR 250 is fuel injected and doesn't have a carb.
Are you sure you have enough juice in the battery?
Mine has problems starting up after winter storage too but i usually just have to give it a small amount of gas and plenty of tries to fire it up eventually.
My CBR250 doesn't have a choke either otherwise I'd use it

It's been on a charger and the multimeter says ~14V sitting so we believe it's fully charged. Unless it's a bad battery and it will just say that until it tries to crank and then drains it completely.

You can feel a slight puff of the exhaust as it tries to start, but that's about it.

Any ideas?

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the Lord. [Proverbs 21:31]

post #4 of 87 Old 01-18-2016, 05:15 PM

Garage
I would check to see if there is even any spark or if it is just really dirty. I would also check to see if the ignition coils are working. Also, do you smell any gas vapors come out of the tail pipe when you try to start it? I imagine it has something to do with the ignition system. If the battery was bad and couldn't put out enough amps then it wouldn't even turn over. Same if the regulator went out.

And I know it sounds stupid but is there enough gas in the tank? Many times problems can cause by not thinking about the most obvious thing, trust me it happens

2012 CBR250R Black
Mods:
Racetech springs and emulators, Yamaha R6 shock, Yoshi Rearset Risers, Babyface GP Shift adapter, EBC HH Sintered Front Brake Pads, CBR600RR pegs, Mirror delete with CBR600RR block offs, Ebay Bar-end mirror, Red LED dash, The2Wheels levers, Homemade Fender Eliminator, LED Blinkers, Tank pads and grips, CBR300R seat, Spider Peak red Grips, Vortex Clip ons
Soon to be mods:
Slip on exhaust, Tyga exhaust hanger, PCV, Matte Black rims, Spiegler Steel Braided Brakes Lines,
post #5 of 87 Old 01-18-2016, 05:15 PM

My first guess would be the battery too.
You say it was "recently winterized". Does that mean it sat for an extended period without being winterized?
If so untreated gas could have fouled the fuel injector.
Also when you winterized it, you did run it for a few minutes to make sure treated gas got through the fuel injector before you stored it, right?
post #6 of 87 Old 01-18-2016, 05:54 PM

Thanked 1,299 Times in 805 Posts
agree battery or other related ignition factors..
also fuel, not necessarily the main problem
but could have hindered startup thus
compounded battery/spark problem..

would you buy a motorcycle
that wouldnt start or run...

ps check for air blockage by anything
loose under the seat, pieces of paper etc..

Last edited by shisoshin; 01-18-2016 at 05:55 PM. Reason: added ps
post #7 of 87 Old 01-18-2016, 06:00 PM

Check the battery voltage as you hit the button. I'm guessing it will drop off to nothing. 11V or so is in the normal range as you are cranking.

Probably needs a battery from the sound of it.
post #8 of 87 Old 01-18-2016, 06:29 PM

Maybe it's just long inactivity. I always need about 10 minutes of cranking (not continuously of course) and mild throttle application to get mine started after a few months in winter storage. Though I also don't use fuel stabilizer as that is a rare practice here.

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?

post #9 of 87 Old 01-19-2016, 10:20 AM

I would also check on voltage during the try, to start the engine. And minimum fill the tank to the top with fresh gas.

Quote:
I also don't use fuel stabilizer as that is a rare practice here.
Fill some 2 stroke oil in, before long standing periods
will stabilize the gas for quiet some time

Disclaimer:
Can contain irony and/or sarcasm

post #10 of 87 Old 01-19-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Maybe it's just long inactivity. I always need about 10 minutes of cranking (not continuously of course) and mild throttle application to get mine started after a few months in winter storage. Though I also don't use fuel stabilizer as that is a rare practice here.
I've stored my 2011 CBR250R using fuel stabilizer and a battery tender for 4 winters now, where it gets below freezing for weeks, if not months, at a time.
It ALWAYS starts on the first try every spring using only the start button.
(And I'm still using the original stock battery too.)
oldguy50+ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page