Don't drop the gas cap - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 05-06-2016, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Don't drop the gas cap

Don't drop your gas cap. Or set it upside down on the dash and then have to move the bike to a different pump when the card reader glitches... It might bend the key right in the middle. I tried to straighten it but it was bent in two planes and wouldn't turn in the ignition. Had to cut loose the spare key I had tucked up on the frame or I would have been stranded. I was eventually able to save the key with some careful straightening using a vice.
Also, never travel without a spare key.
shisoshin, Stichill and tegs like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-06-2016, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,607 Times in 1,910 Posts
Good advise ^.

I'd think that if you had to move the bike to a different pump for whatever reason, the best place to set the gas cap would be back on the fuel tank. Wouldn't even have to lock it down, just set it in place on the filler neck.

I recall in one of the other 'gas cap' threads, someone had placed the cap on the dash area and while re-fueling it managed to fall without even moving the bike. Just my opinion, but I think setting the gas cap anywhere on the bike while re-fueling is risky... better to place on the top surface of the pump where it's out of harms way.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician

Last edited by MotoMike; 05-06-2016 at 01:14 PM.
post #3 of 19 Old 05-06-2016, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

except that I never even bother to dismount when I fill up which is once every three days.
Stichill and don'tpanic like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 Old 05-06-2016, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,607 Times in 1,910 Posts
Burning about a gallon a day, you must have a fairly long commute.

I always get off the bike to refuel... for me it's another opportunity to stretch my legs.
don'tpanic likes this.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #5 of 19 Old 05-06-2016, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Three 80 mile round trips requires 2.4 gallonsUS at 100 mpg.
I will be off the bike at fuel stops during my upcoming Iron Butt 1000 next week.

post #6 of 19 Old 05-06-2016, 10:28 PM

Thanked 1,301 Times in 807 Posts
at australian service stations its a rule
to not sit on a motorcycle while filling..

some servos will refuse to activate the pump
if you dont get off your motorcycle to fill up..

similar typical requirement for removing helmet..
altho that seems based on experiences of riders
not paying, together with thieves robbing
business' wearing helmets..

servo lanes can have oil drips etc on them..
riders have slipped while sitting on their bikes filling,
resulting in bike down, incl on rider, petrol gushing out,
incl onto hot engine, including flash explosion/fire..

static electric charge can or may be generated from
rubbing fabric of pants on seat, causing ignition of petrol
being poured into tank just in front of rider..

similarly any fool can be smoking a cigarette
nearby and flick their burning butt into your space
and petrol vapour,, typical/predictable smoker habit..

check out this hot ktm;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrCkExl_PdY
post #7 of 19 Old 05-07-2016, 12:30 AM

Sendler, I feel your pain. I have also had my gas cap fall off the dashboard area when I jostled the bike.

It is not stupid or unusual to sit on the bike while refueling; I have done it myself many times. Due to the CBR250R's obnoxious fuel-pump-protective baffle, one must precisely position the nozzle and rock the bike to and fro to achieve a full 3.4 gallon fill. This is best accomplished while seated on the bike.

Of course Mike, Honda expects riders to be precognitient and foresee all potential refueling calamities related to out-of-control fuel caps, but sometimes we are frail humans who let our stupidly unattached Honda CBR250R gas caps succumb to gravitational forces and go crashing to the ground.

I do now put my fuel cap on the fuel pump/bowser, but this is nothing that would have occurred to me before shisoshin advised it after my cap had been cosmetically damaged in a fall.
post #8 of 19 Old 05-07-2016, 11:21 AM

I've always thought that sitting on the bike while fueling was one of the dumbest things a motorcyclist can do. Not only is it illegal in many places, as shisoshin noted, but it's just bad common sense. If there's a fire or a fuel spill trips the halon fire suppression system at the gas pump (and I've seen this happen twice now) the extra second it's going to take to get off the bike and get to safety could cost you your life or the difference between serious injury and getting clear. Never mind the fact that you're pouring gas into a tank atop a hot engine and any slip is going to cover your crotch with flammable liquid that could turn you and your bike into a roman candle.
Personally, I've always found I have much more control of the nozzle and a better view inside the tank standing next to the bike with both feet on the ground. It also allows me to place the gas cap on top of the pump, leaving zero chance of it being jostled and falling on the ground while fueling.
Every time I've posted my objection to motorcyclists fueling while on the bike I invariably get a goodly amount of pushback on the subject and I just don't understand it. This is Common Sense 101 and if it's illegal anywhere, which it most certainly is, it's illegal for a reason. If something goes wrong at the pump, or if an out-of-control cager jumps the curb heading for the pumps (and how many times have you seen videos of THAT?) I want to be on my feet and ready to sprint as fast as possible from what results.
shisoshin and MotoMike like this.
post #9 of 19 Old 05-07-2016, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Sorry, bad habit resulting from the desire for accurate fills.

post #10 of 19 Old 05-07-2016, 05:12 PM

As Shiso said, it's illegal here to sit on your bike and refuel, and also illegal to wear a helmet (though I have gotten away with the second one). If there is no room on the bowser for the gas cap, i would put my gloves on the seat and then the cap on the gloves and make sure it is stable before proceeding to fill up. But this is no longer a problem for me as the GSX-R gas cap is on a hinge, like they all should be. Does anyone know if Honda pulled their finger out and used a hinge on the 300?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page