Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Odd shifting issues

6K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  MannyC 
#1 ·
Please let me know if you can figure this out. I have no clue what is happening here. I'm having oddities with shifting and am not sure why. I can still drive my bike very well but its almost as if another person drove the bike they would think it was not working right. And, this "problem" seems to come and go and also change, kind of, almost like two different types of odd happenings.

When the problem occurs, this is what happens...

1) When climbing gears I will not have to use the clutch lever. Its almost like I can increase the throttle, slightly let go of throttle, toe up climbing to the next gear, then return to throttling. I can do this for multiple gears. I cannot go down in gears without using the clutch lever. You can still use the clutch when this happens but it seems scenario #2 also occurs virtually at the same time.

2) When trying to up shift the gear will not change unless you give toe up pressure on the shift lever before activating the clutch lever. If you do not give the upward pressure on the shift lever prior to using the clutch then the gear will not climb into the next gear. You can press the clutch, toe up the shift lever endlessly and it won't up shift. Only when you give toe up pressure and then press the clutch will in the climb gear.

These two scenarios come and go when riding the bike but as far as I recall happen at the same time during the ride.

See less See more
#2 ·
The first "problem" isn't a problem. Most cycle transmissions will shift without the clutch given the proper load. I wouldn't suggest it unless you are skilled at it, and then unless it's done perfectly will cause additional wear that can be avoided with using the clutch.

The second problems has me confused. It sounds like the shift mechanism may need lubing or adjusting or the clutch is out of adjustment.

If you have friends that ride, I would have one of them take it for a spin and see if they think it's not shifting properly.

How is the oil level? Has the oil been changed recently? If not, I would.

#3 ·
Problem 1 isn't a problem; it's called clutchless upshifting and can be done on pretty much any motorcycle transmission as stated.

Second could be a problem. But it could also be several things. If the oil is way old, hard shifting can sometimes occur. If the clutch cable is could of adjustment with too much freeplay, you may not be disengaging the clutch fully when you pull it and it has issues sliding into the next gear. Does it do this on the downshift with the clutch as well? Or just the upshift?

#4 ·
I honestly do not know the mileage since last oil change but it was last summers and I have my oil, filter and gasket ready for my next. Maybe I can change oil today and see what happens.

I did lower the shift lever last year after reading a few posts about it. I had complained that I would not lift the lever high enough to shift and once I lowered it I feel it's easier to up shift. My foot does not have to go as high to climb up.

Perhaps lowering the lever makes it hard for the lever go hit hebottom reset the next upshift. Just a thought. I'll pay attention to this with my ride today.

#6 ·
I agree that the shifter linkage should be checked first. Something as simple as a loose bolt can make shifting sloppy. Of all the things that could become a problem with use, the shifter linkage has been the only thing that I've had actual problems with. In the first year of ownership I had to tighten the bolts more than once and I finally added a little Lock Tite to them after almost losing the main bolt entirely. Now checking them is included on every pre-ride check. Losing one of those bolts is not something that you'd want to deal with unexpectedly miles from home.

#9 ·
it's easy to take the shift linkage for granted because motorcycles in general and the cbr250r in particular shift so easily, but the linkages can be quite complicated and they're subjected to a lot of repetitive motion and vibration. i had a bike that used to throw false neutrals on the 2nd to 3rd shift and i assumed that it was due to the gearbox until one of the bolts in the shift linkage fell out and left me stranded on the side of the road. it was the slop in the linkage that was causing the problem, not the clutch or the gearbox. now i look over shifters at least twice a year and make sure that everything is as it should be.

#8 ·
agree on general upshifting as members note..
in general riding my clutch lever movement
is more or less next to nothing, just a 'flicker'
of front 2 or three finger knuckles..
[together with a light off-on of throttle]
not a conscious thing, rather i assume
from countless repetitions of the action
[much like typing now, fingers just to it]
together with similar coordination between
finger and toe with with slight support thru
related foot/hand movement..

slight toe pressure just before up movement starts
is also not unusual, esp with countless repetitions
making it one seamless coordinated action..

as for failing to change with repeated movements
clutch lever in,, the two factors you mention
[adjusting shifter and unknown state of oil]
could be responsible or tipping the scales..

if it sticks in gear [wont upshift clutch in]
change the dynamics flowing thru the system
by [eg] accelerating in that gear then changing,
and/or giving it a good 'blip' [as for engine braking etc]
as you change together with a light movement..

theres also bio-mechanics involved, how your toes/foot/
ankle etc move the lever.. another reason for checking
using another rider to compare [esp one after another]

otherwise as members logically advise..

#10 ·
Hey guys, I really appreciate all the feedback. I'm going to try and work on my bike this weekend. This past weekend life got in the way.

I will change the oil and also take a look at the shift link. I have some adjusting I think I might try. I will let you guys know how it turns out.

Again, thanks so much for the feedback so far.

#11 ·
So.....

I changed the oil on the bike last weekend and went for two short-medium rides without the issue. It seems just changing the oil either eliminated or greatly lessened the shifting issue. I haven't pushed the bike yet so I'm not 100% yet. But so far I'm pleased with what a simple oil change will do.

#12 ·
I know this thread is 3 yrs old, but wanted to contribute in case helpful to anyone. I have a 2012 non abs bought used from a reputable dealer in March 2020 (283 miles, $2499). I noticed right away that I was having this exact problem, but only shifting up into 3rd gear. It’s not a problem as long as I begin to apply pressure to the shifter before disengaging clutch. I am new to the forum and have not yet searched thoroughly for 3rd gear or other possible transmission issues. Otherwise it’s a great bike, and this forum is very helpful. Thanks to all for the many helpful and interesting posts.

#13 ·
I know this thread is 3 yrs old, but wanted to contribute in case helpful to anyone. I have a 2012 non abs bought used from a reputable dealer in March 2020 (283 miles, $2499). I noticed right away that I was having this exact problem, but only shifting up into 3rd gear. It’s not a problem as long as I begin to apply pressure to the shifter before disengaging clutch. I am new to the forum and have not yet searched thoroughly for 3rd gear or other possible transmission issues. Otherwise it’s a great bike, and this forum is very helpful. Thanks to all for the many helpful and interesting posts.
I would check that the clutch is adjusted properly and the shift linkage is correctly positioned and not hanging up.

I might have taken it back to the dealer immediately and had them take a look at it, even though it's used it has only 283 mi on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.