Empty Coolant Reserve Tank - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 05-17-2017, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Empty Coolant Reserve Tank

Hi guys, anyone out there for help? I brought home my new CBR 250R few hours back, from Honda showroom, only after reaching home I noticed that the coolant reserve tank is empty. I have to go back to the Honda showroom to get it filled and the showroom is 7km away from my home. Is that 7km ride without coolant going to ruin the engine?
Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 05-17-2017, 03:50 PM

I would suggest that you buy a bottle of Honda coolant and fill the radiator yourself, without riding the bike to the dealership. It's a routine maintenance issue that you'll want to be acquainted with anyways, so just start learning the steps now. Otherwise, since it sounds like you just bought the bike from a dealership, I would suggest that the dealership provide you with a free pickup of the bike and fix the issue. Or, worse case, send somebody to you with the proper fluid and remedy the issue.

Without opening the radiator cap, you really don't know how low the coolant level is, so there's a risk in riding the bike. If the level is low enough, you will certainly have an overheat issue and ruin something.
jkv357 and iamragesh006 like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheoR For This Useful Post:
iamragesh006 (05-18-2017)
post #3 of 27 Old 05-17-2017, 03:51 PM

1) is your engine temperature gauge reading high?

2) open the owner's manual. You will find where to look to make sure there is enough coolant in the system. It is a narrow, vertical opening, very dark, behind the oil level window.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(no affilliation)
The Following User Says Thank You to don'tpanic For This Useful Post:

post #4 of 27 Old 05-17-2017, 03:53 PM

The overflow bottle is just for when the closed system gets warm and needs to get rid of excess fluid.
When the bike (or car) cools down, the fluid is drawn back into the main system.

(no affilliation)
The Following User Says Thank You to don'tpanic For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 27 Old 05-17-2017, 05:35 PM

I would remove the radiator cap and look at the actual level in the radiator.

Best thing to do would be to make sure it's up to the top and the overflow bottle is properly filled before riding. I would call the dealer and tell them the issue, and see what they say. At least they should supply you with the coolant you need.

If it is brand new (0 mi), I would tell them you want the cycle looked over and properly prepped. There are other things that should be checked before letting a customer take a cycle out on the road, and from the sound of it they may have not been done.
The Following User Says Thank You to jkv357 For This Useful Post:
post #6 of 27 Old 05-17-2017, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoR View Post
I would suggest that you buy a bottle of Honda coolant and fill the radiator yourself, without riding the bike to the dealership. It's a routine maintenance issue that you'll want to be acquainted with anyways, so just start learning the steps now. Otherwise, since it sounds like you just bought the bike from a dealership, I would suggest that the dealership provide you with a free pickup of the bike and fix the issue. Or, worse case, send somebody to you with the proper fluid and remedy the issue.

Without opening the radiator cap, you really don't know how low the coolant level is, so there's a risk in riding the bike. If the level is low enough, you will certainly have an overheat issue and ruin something.
Thank you. I thought the same to fill it myself. As the bike is new, I think the screw near the reserve tank is too tight for my screwdriver to open, and I felt like, if I try more to open the screw I would be ending up losing the edges of the screw smooth. So I thought the dealership people would be able to open it. And I am not sure also whether the bike was ever filled with coolant, in that case, is it enough to fill it through the reserve tank or should it be done through the radiator cap, if there is not even a drop of coolant anywhere inside?
post #7 of 27 Old 05-17-2017, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by don'tpanic View Post
1) is your engine temperature gauge reading high?

2) open the owner's manual. You will find where to look to make sure there is enough coolant in the system. It is a narrow, vertical opening, very dark, behind the oil level window.
1) Yes. The temperature gauge was blinking at H. If the engine overheats, will it shut down by itself to avoid damages (I read somewhere, that, there is something called thermal shutdown)

2) Yes, I checked the owners manual and found out the place to check the level. The level is empty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1495071450638.jpg (93.9 KB, 13 views)
post #8 of 27 Old 05-17-2017, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The overflow bottle is just for when the closed system gets warm and needs to get rid of excess fluid.
When the bike (or car) cools down, the fluid is drawn back into the main system.
Is the overflow bottle you are mentioning the same as the reserve tank I said, which is near the rear brake pedal? I checked the level in that reserve tank when the bike was off and cool.
post #9 of 27 Old 05-17-2017, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamragesh006 View Post
Is the overflow bottle you are mentioning the same as the reserve tank I said, which is near the rear brake pedal? I checked the level in that reserve tank when the bike was off and cool.
Yes, they are the same.

If your temperature gauge was flashing H, that dealership has a lot to answer for. Possibly a new engine.

How far is it from there to home?

No, the engine will NOT shut off before damage is done.
The engine gets hot, the piston and valve stems expand, and it locks up tight.
You are very lucky this did not happen to you on the way home.

Sorry about your trouble.
jkv357 likes this.

(no affilliation)
post #10 of 27 Old 05-17-2017, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamragesh006 View Post
Yes, they are the same.

If your temperature gauge was flashing H, that dealership has a lot to answer for. Possibly a new engine.

How far is it from there to home?

No, the engine will NOT shut off before damage is done.
The engine gets hot, the piston and valve stems expand, and it locks up tight.
You are very lucky this did not happen to you on the way home.

Sorry about your trouble.
Thanks for all suggestions. Dealership is 7 km away from my home. As today is a working day, had no option for me to wait at home for the pick up persons to come and do the work, so had to take to the dealership by myself. Rode it to the dealership, but giving some halts when temp gauge bar crossed the third bar and wait for 15,20 minutes to cool it down, likewise reched the dealership, hoping that it won't be doing much danages.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page