Newbie Troubles - Gear Shift Noise - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

3Likes
  • 2 Post By jsonder
  • 1 Post By TheoR

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 05-18-2017, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Question Newbie Troubles - Gear Shift Noise

Hi all, I got my new CBR 250R non abs model yesterday. It is a 2013 model but was resting in the showroom for past years due to low demand for this bike in the market because of its competitors.
Now coming to the problem, the bike has done only approx. 45 Km, from the beginning itself the gearing shifting was not so smooth. From 1st gear to 2nd it always makes a big "ttakk" noise when shifting up, the other gears are okay, but sometimes they too behaves the same. I am shifting gears at 3.5 to 4.5 RPM (1st gear to 2nd when the speed reaches near 20kmph ). I have read in many reviews and forums, that most of the riders shifts at around 5k or higher but as this is the break in period I am feeling like that much rpm would be over revving. Any suggestions from experienced ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-18-2017, 09:48 AM

I might ask someone you trust to ride it, or take it back to the dealer and have them check it out.

I wouldn't worry about over-revving. Shifting a 5000 is fine - it's not too much. You want load on the engine to seat the rings, and that means moderate acceleration without lugging.

Short-shifting at low RPMs won't produce the smoothest shifts. You need some acceleration to give you more time to change gears without losing momentum.

Make sure the clutch is adjusted properly. There should be info in here about it, but basically you are looking at the gap between the lever itself and the ""perch" (lever mount). Too much gap will make the clutch disengage too late. Too little will apply pressure to the clutch when it should be released.

EDIT: I didn't realize this was the same bike as the one with the coolant issue. In that case resolve the coolant question before riding again.

Last edited by jkv357; 05-18-2017 at 11:49 AM.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-18-2017, 09:53 AM

Garage
Considering that his bike was delivered without any coolant, it shouldn't be ridden until the dealer has corrected the situation, logged the problem, and done something about extending the warranty because of dealer/factory error.

Just my opinion.
jkv357 and don'tpanic like this.

John '14CB500XA (Daily Rider), '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jsonder For This Useful Post:
don'tpanic (05-18-2017)

post #4 of 10 Old 05-18-2017, 12:14 PM

The gearbox of the CBR 250 has a tendency to make those clank noises from 1st to 2nd gear. Mine does that too and it's normal (try to put some pressure on the gear selector before pulling the clutch in. That should reduce the clanking somewhat). Your shifting RPM are okay (though 3.5k should really only be used in low gears and only light throttle should be applied to prevent the engine from lugging).

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-18-2017, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonder View Post
Considering that his bike was delivered without any coolant, it shouldn't be ridden until the dealer has corrected the situation, logged the problem, and done something about extending the warranty because of dealer/factory error.

Just my opinion.
Yes, they have rectified it, they said. And the engine is running in normal temperature of 3 bars in gauge, have to check the coolant level tomorrow morning according to one of the members here suggested.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-18-2017, 05:11 PM

I have around 25,000+ miles on my bike, but I don't think I ever noticed any noise like that.

It's possible that the gears need a bit of riding to break-in mechanically.

However, considering that the dealer actually sent on your way without coolant in the bike, I would be suspect of other fluid condition, namely engine oil.

It's possible that the oil sat in the bike for 4+ years. Possibly the fluid is low. Have you checked the engine oil level through the sight glass yet?

With all these troubles already, I would suggest that you ask the dealer to change all the fluids. Coolant's been added, so engine oil and brake fluid should be next.
don'tpanic likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheoR For This Useful Post:
iamragesh006 (05-19-2017)
post #7 of 10 Old 05-18-2017, 07:19 PM

I am beginning to really not like that dealer.

The clutch may need adjustment.
The bike obviously was not prepped in any way before being given to the customer.

I would look for another dealer to perform your initial break-in valve adjustment. And be sure to let them know why you are looking for a new mechanic.

(no affilliation)
The Following User Says Thank You to don'tpanic For This Useful Post:
post #8 of 10 Old 05-19-2017, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by don'tpanic View Post
I am beginning to really not like that dealer.

The clutch may need adjustment.
The bike obviously was not prepped in any way before being given to the customer.

I would look for another dealer to perform your initial break-in valve adjustment. And be sure to let them know why you are looking for a new mechanic.
In my city there are only 2 authorized dealerships of Honda, both are somewhat the same type, new teenage boys as mechanics who stays in the job for few weeks only and then another boys come. That's how the things are in here. And here, Honda is mainly focusing on their 110, 125 cc scooter segments, the service centre at both the dealerships are always flooded with these scooters, and some bikes of 110-160cc which are carburated. I haven't seen any CBR in the service center of these dealerships not even a CBR 150. Does the valve adjustment thing require opening up the engine head? Is that adjustment a big techy process?
post #9 of 10 Old 05-19-2017, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamragesh006 View Post
In my city there are only 2 authorized dealerships of Honda, both are somewhat the same type, new teenage boys as mechanics who stays in the job for few weeks only and then another boys come. That's how the things are in here. And here, Honda is mainly focusing on their 110, 125 cc scooter segments, the service centre at both the dealerships are always flooded with these scooters, and some bikes of 110-160cc which are carburated. I haven't seen any CBR in the service center of these dealerships not even a CBR 150. Does the valve adjustment thing require opening up the engine head? Is that adjustment a big techy process?
Valve adjustment is somewhat mechanically involved, but what's called out for is a a valve clearance check.

For valve clearance check, you do have to take the valve cover off but from thereon it's just a matter of using feeler gauge to measure valve clearance. Overall, it's a bit tedious process, but nothing that a somewhat mechanically inclined person can't handle.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheoR For This Useful Post:
post #10 of 10 Old 05-19-2017, 03:10 PM

It sounds like you REALLY need to get that book in my sig line, and start collecting some quality tools.

The hardest part about checking the valves is lifting the front of the fuel tank and working in close quarters.

But it sounds like YOU need to become your own best mechanic.

(no affilliation)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page