Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

trouble shifting to 5th to 6th gear

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  jkv357 
#1 ·
so I think my problem started with a completely loose shift adjuster nut and stalling because the shift lever was all free play and had to fix at a hightway off ramp. The next day during a group ride I noticed that the shifter was not making its usual "click" sound and feel when shifting up to 5th gear and I guess 6th gear. When i went and check the clutch lever had lots of free play and the adjuster nut was loose. after "fixing the free play and the nut" the problem still persisted.
All this time I had no problem shfiting to 1N234, the click and feel of the shifter engaging. but trying to go to 5th there was no "click" no feeling of the shifter engaging.like it wont move. Odd thing is my speed in going up and my tach is steady(not red lining) doing like 150km

At home with the bike on and not with the engine started. I can walk the bike and go through all the gears 1N23456 without any problems and shift down without any problems.

this afternoon i changed the oil and filter and took a free way test ride but the problem is still there with the 5th gear and 6th gear. what gives?

#2 ·
Plenty of threads about this issue here, including this one...

http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-problems-issues/8298-shift-pedal-adjustment.html

Do a search for "shifting problems" and the others should come up.
Sounds like the shift linkage or a cable needs adjustment.
The nut on the shift linkage has a tendency to back itself off from use.
I finally put a little Loctite on mine after getting sick of tightening it all the time.
Your lucky it didn't just fall off and strand you on the road somewhere.

#3 ·
thanks True Faith. So i adjusted the shifter where it meets the engine and my shift pedal is lower a bit. Its better than before I can feel the 5th and 6th gear engaging a bit, not like before the problem started. I will fine tune it bit using the two nuts on the shift rod/shaft later and give a update.
When I initially google the problem bent shift fork came up and i got worried real quick!

#4 ·
I was going to say change the oil as this resolved a gear changing issue I had. But you already did that. The gear sector area would be my next thought as well. I adjusted mine last year after tipping my bike over. Once it was adjusted a few times with test rides in between its now perfect. There were a few good posts on this here. If you look for my thread about me tipping my bike there is a link to a thread that talks about adjusting the "rod" to lower and raise the gear selector.

#5 ·
One often overlooked item that can cause difficult shifting, is when the shift pedal pivot post becomes dry (as in lack of lubrication) over time. I use a coating of Anti-Seize lubricant (regular wheel bearing grease also works) on the pivot. I do this once a year, and it makes a world of difference for smooth shifting.

#8 ·
One often overlooked item that can cause difficult shifting, is when the shift pedal pivot post becomes dry
I'm having some shifting issues as well. I stopped at a light in 3rd gear and wasn't able to shift down past 2nd. Could shift up, but not down past 2nd. So i just took off in second, no problems after that.
I did recently tighten the clutch cable so it has much less free play. Is it possible that this issue is caused by over squeezing the newly tightened clutch?

Regardless, I'm want to lube the shift pedal pivot post as MotoMike suggests. I haven't run across any tutorials so I'm thinking it must be very easy, but I just need someone to point me to which specific part on the clutch lever system the "pivot post" is.

#6 ·
just a thought beyond mechanical factors,
changing orientation of shift lever may
effect the way it 'feels' to foot thus brain
using established changing habits..

if asked my feel would not be of 'clicking'
more like 'it just goes in' or suchlike..
using yoshi rear set plates changes your
habitual foot positioning and relative to lever
[in this case good] but needs fine tuning
and adjusting to suit your best feel etc..

best lubricate and adjust to previous position
as members advise, then treat it like a new bike
with 'feel' more in the toes than the lever..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.