Shift Lever fell off - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #1

Default Shift Lever fell off

I was riding on the road to my house and noticed that I couldn't change gears. I realized the shift lever fell out. Luckily for me, it was just at the bottom of my driveway. The nut fell out of the bolt that secures it in place. I searched high and low for the thread size, but does anyone here know what size nut I need to replace it?

Please see attached photo.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorkstar View Post
I searched high and low for the thread size, but does anyone here know what size nut I need to replace it?
12mm .....and you just learned the improtance of a safety inspection....

....is always better to do this BEFORE you ride

just looked it up....

Step Honda CBR250R 2011 OEM Parts - Cheap Cycle Parts

claims to be item 21 8mm flange nut ...

...but im holding the stock rearset assembly in my hand right now and is a 12 mm bolt back there

....either way , is a 99cent part .... take it to a hardware store
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-03-2012, 10:37 PM   #3

It was actually fine this morning, I almost bottomed out in the mud on my way home. I think that might have done it.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:39 PM   #4

Also, I'm not sure how to remove the bolt from the lever. The lever is still connected with the ball/arms.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Also, I'm not sure how to remove the bolt from the lever. The lever is still connected with the ball/arms.
you need to loosen the bolt (part #11) on the tie rod (part #9) then turn the whole thing from the ball/arm thing all together ... that will separate the shifter from the rod

Pedal Honda CBR250R 2011 OEM Parts - Cheap Cycle Parts
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-04-2012, 12:15 AM   #6
Super Moderator

the thread is probably a 8mm 1.25 thread pitch with a 12mm head.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jme250RA For This Useful Post:
Aufitt (12-04-2012), Boomer1911A1 (12-04-2012), MotoMike (12-04-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 12:33 AM   #7

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jme250RA View Post
the thread is probably a 8mm 1.25 thread pitch with a 12mm head.
think you are right .....

...that mean it is only 99cents
Old 12-04-2012, 01:19 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,115 Times in 1,576 Posts

Quote:
You don't have to disassemble the shift linkage. It's much easier to remove the pivot shaft from the shift lever. Use a 5 mm allen wrench to remove the button head screw and washer, which holds the shift lever to the pivot shaft. Use an adjustable wrench to hold the pivot shaft where the flat is on the threaded end. Before you put it all back together, clean and re-grease (even better, use anti-seize lubricant) the pivot shaft. Also, when you go to get a replacement nut, you want to ask for a Flange Nut. While your there at the hardware store, get a small tube of Loctite Blue 242 medium strength threadlocker (DO NOT USE RED LOCTITE*) to use on both the flange nut, and the threads of the button head screw. No more shift lever falling apart while motoring down the road.

* Red Loctite is a high strength threadlocker, and requires heat to disassemble fasteners that it is used on.

Last edited by MotoMike; 12-04-2012 at 01:24 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MotoMike For This Useful Post:
Jme250RA (12-04-2012), rorkstar (12-05-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 01:33 AM   #9

Thanked 2,659 Times in 1,200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
You don't have to disassemble the shift linkage. It's much easier to remove the pivot shaft from the shift lever. Use a 5 mm allen wrench to remove the button head screw and washer, which holds the shift lever to the pivot shaft. Use an adjustable wrench to hold the pivot shaft where the flat is on the threaded end. Before you put it all back together, clean and re-grease (even better, use anti-seize lubricant) the pivot shaft. Also, when you go to get a replacement nut, you want to ask for a Flange Nut. While your there at the hardware store, get a small tube of Loctite Blue 242 medium strength threadlocker (DO NOT USE RED LOCTITE*) to use on both the flange nut, and the threads of the button head screw. No more shift lever falling apart while motoring down the road.

* Red Loctite is a high strength threadlocker, and requires heat to disassemble fasteners that it is used on.
I used to Loctite threadlock fasteners on my bikes till many yrs ago I swapped to just Loctite Anti-seizeing every bolt or moving part I touch.

Simple, rustproof, lubricating, and NOTHING ever rattles loose.
main advantage you dont need to reapply once done.
I have an artists brush instead of the big brush in the lid.

Never even lost a dirtbike sidecover in yrs of enduo racing.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aufitt For This Useful Post:
ajax1 (12-04-2012), Jme250RA (12-04-2012), MotoMike (12-04-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 02:19 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,115 Times in 1,576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufitt View Post
I used to Loctite threadlock fasteners on my bikes till many yrs ago I swapped to just Loctite Anti-seizeing every bolt or moving part I touch...
Yeah, I use Anti-seize on nearly all of the fasteners and moving parts too... I still have been using a drop of the blue Loctite on a few of the nuts and bolts that rarely get taken apart... old habits die hard. I'm learning new tricks, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement