Fuel gauge - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #1

Default Fuel gauge

Anyone else have this problem where the fuel gauge displays some wonky numbers? On cold starts the bike will tell me I'm on 1 bar on fuel, and after the engine warms up it might jump to 2,3, or even 4 bars, but after I start riding it, it will drop back down to 1 or 2.

Just this morning my bike was on 1 flashing bar, but on my way to the gas station it jumped back up to 2.

Not really a major issue, just wondering if anyone else has this problem. Is there a fix? or is it intended.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #2

Garage

Happens to me but only when the bike is in its stand or parked on an incline. I haven't looked for a fix

Bring us back to where they've led
Listen not to what's been said to you
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #3

is been a while since a "fuel gauge" thread ... ill join this one

till the bike to the right and you can cheat a extra bar at the red light

BTW- my fuel gauge stopped working ...reads full all the time now

...at least it shows the maximum amount bars
Old 12-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
Super Moderator

yeah the fuel gauge isn't the best. Sometimes i will turn the key on in the morning and i will get a flashing bar, when i ride off it usually will go to a full bar and possibly 2. Then i see it flashing again for 5 minutes and then it won't be flashing and then it repeats this a couple of times. Anyways, it's good enough for me and is a handy tool to have

- Black Adjustable Levers
- HRC Carbon Fibre Tank Pad
- Hotbodies FE Kit
- 16,000km's in 12 months

2011 GSX-R600 Black
Old 12-10-2012, 09:52 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,749 Times in 1,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietly View Post
Anyone else have this problem where the fuel gauge displays some wonky numbers? On cold starts the bike will tell me I'm on 1 bar on fuel, and after the engine warms up it might jump to 2,3, or even 4 bars, but after I start riding it, it will drop back down to 1 or 2.

Just this morning my bike was on 1 flashing bar, but on my way to the gas station it jumped back up to 2.

Not really a major issue, just wondering if anyone else has this problem. Is there a fix? or is it intended.
It has to do with the way the float is oriented in the tank... the fuel gauge will indicate a lower quantity of fuel remaining when the bike is on the side stand, than it indicates when the bike is upright. I've found that when I'm out riding and the last bar starts flashing, if I stop to refuel within 10 - 15 miles, I still have about 1.0 gallon remaining. It would seem that Honda intentionally calibrated the fuel gauge so that when the last bar starts flashing there will be plenty of fuel left in the tank (and more than enough range to get to a station, even a distant one), so no one would be running out of fuel.

Last edited by MotoMike; 12-10-2012 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Typo
The Following User Says Thank You to MotoMike For This Useful Post:
Dietly (12-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 10:19 PM   #6

Dietly,
You may need a new sending unit, but it's not a big deal if you reset the trip odo each fill up. You should be able to drive 175-200 miles without worry...
Old 12-10-2012, 10:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Rick View Post
Dietly,
You may need a new sending unit, but it's not a big deal if you reset the trip odo each fill up. You should be able to drive 175-200 miles without worry...
yeah the odometer is what I've been going off of. I've only been getting about 130 miles on 2.5 gallons (I like to fill up long before I'm out of fuel, I've ran out of gas before, and I never want to do that again), which seems low to everyone else gets, but it's a lot better than my old car so I don't complain too much .
Old 12-10-2012, 10:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietly View Post
yeah the odometer is what I've been going off of. I've only been getting about 130 miles on 2.5 gallons (I like to fill up long before I'm out of fuel, I've ran out of gas before, and I never want to do that again), which seems low to everyone else gets, but it's a lot better than my old car so I don't complain too much .
This is what I get as well. By then I'm nervous cuz it's usually flashing

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 12-10-2012, 11:01 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,749 Times in 1,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Rick View Post
Dietly,
I agree, the OP may have a faulty sending unit. From a full tank (filled to about half an inch above the baffle plate), I can usually clock 170 to 190 miles before the last bar starts flashing. At that point, refilling the tank takes about 2.3 to 2.5 gallons. And that's running at fairly high RPM's.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
From a full tank (filled to about half an inch above the baffle plate)
I thought it was supposed to just fill it up to the plate. I thought I was being a naughty boy filling so it just went over the plate at the front a by a fraction.

Hmmm

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement