Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Water in the headlight

6K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Mikethebear 
#1 ·
Well, I seem to have a minor issue here. Condensation inside the headlight housing. Doesn't seem to be a big issue, but it's been a few days and it hasn't evaporated. I presume I'll have to take the thing apart, which I'll be doing in a few days anyway since I have a HID projector kit on the way. Has anyone taken this apart before? Anything I need to be weary of?

See less See more
#2 ·
When I took mine apart to do the windshield, it took me about 5 hours or so. It's a little tricky in some areas, just take your time and be careful around the inside of the windshield area..there are some delicate plastic bits and that can break easily..trust me, I know :(

You will have to remove almost the entire front portion of the bike. Side fairings, fairings that are top of the side fairings, mirrors, gauge panel..can't remember anything else at this point..but when you have everything off..it will look like a naked bike with no gauges on it.

#3 · (Edited)
There's no way to remove it otherwise? All I'm trying to remove is the clear plastic.

#9 ·
Using the oven seems safe enough. I was hoping to remove the stock reflector all together, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
Do you have to reglue the headlight? Or can you just heat it up again?

#12 ·
OK dumb blonde here ;-)
but I thought the headlight assembly was a sealed unit with access to replace the bulb/lamp through the rubber seal at the rear.

Condensation can only occur if water in introduced into the sealed unit via a leak. Yes? So water/condensation should not occur???

Never has on any of my car lights... unless there was a break or seal leak.

#16 ·
So before installing my HID projector I removed all the water. Three days later, it was back.

Doesn't look like much right?
So here was my solution. Our indicator housings have holes in the bottom that let water out, but the headlight does not. So I decided to add one with my dremel.

I took this photo after a large amount of water came pouring out. We'll see over the next few days how it goes.

#18 ·
It's currently monsoon season. Thankfully we're coming towards the end of it.

#20 ·
The spiders start breeding around March ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.