Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Messed up my oil change?

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  TrueFaith 
#1 ·
Finally got around to changing the oil..'
Used Rimula 4X which is apparently the rebranding of Rotella for Australia..

Just now noticed after the change its 15-40? was it meant to be 10-40? :/

Reason for alarm bells ringing is because directly after letting the bike run for 2 mins the bikes oil changed from a honey color to a...cola color?

Did i mess up?

#2 ·
As you are going into your summer season, it shouldn't hurt, as long as the oil filter was installed properly.

The color comes from incomplete drainage. I tend to stand my bikes on their kickstand and rotate them so that the oil drain hole is as close to on the bottom as I can safely support. I still cannot drain all of the old oil from the CB500XA.

Reactions: shisoshin and Corey
#3 · (Edited)
As you are going into your summer season, it shouldn't hurt
Yeah, We are in spring technically and we get days from 16-31c tho.

as long as the oil filter was installed properly.
Yes. I was pretty paranoid after reading the "engine destruction thread", i took pictures of the old one which depicted the extruding black seal on the filter should point towards the engine. (opposite side of the spring)

The color comes from incomplete drainage. I tend to stand my bikes on their kickstand and rotate them so that the oil drain hole is as close to on the bottom as I can safely support. I still cannot drain all of the old oil from the CB500XA.
I had it on the paddoc stand for a good 10 minutes after riding for about that long to heat the oil up. *shurgs* dunno what else i coulda done. I did rock it abit, but ill try rolling it abit more next time like you said.

its really black tho? the oil usually had a honey yellow color never this black

#4 ·
I've never been able to get all the old oil out, and my fresh change generally turns a nice brown after I've ridden it. But diesel oil is also generally a bit darker than automotive oil, and turns a darker shade a bit faster from what I've gathered.

#5 ·
I'm sure your perfectly fine. What you can do if you ever want to and kill time is buy 3 of everything you can change your oil 3 times. I've done that and it's golden.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk

#7 ·
its down to your attitude to such things, as to how much
time etc you are prepared or want to spend on it..

as members advise, you can manipulate levels etc
to help oil find the drain hole.. piece of cake..

recall drain oil from other road hondas
then replacing drain plug, adding more oil,
shaking her around etc, and draining again..
and again..

never seemed to do any harm to high mile
everyday transport/lifestyle road hondas..

like that bloke with his stalk of grass,,
i also walked away contented...

#8 ·
#1 thing to check is to make sure you're reading the oil level in the sight glass correctly and you didn't overfill it.

Hey, has anyone here ever tried using a vacuum syphon to extract their old oil instead of draining it?
I use a LiquiVac to change the oil on my Altima Coupe. It works great and it seems to actually get more of the used oil out than when I was draining it into a pan.

#9 · (Edited)
#1 thing to check is to make sure you're reading the oil level in the sight glass correctly and you didn't overfill it.

Hey, has anyone here ever tried using a vacuum syphon to extract their old oil instead of draining it?
I use a LiquiVac to change the oil on my Altima Coupe. It works great and it seems to actually get more of the used oil out than when I was draining it into a pan.
Wow! I am going to have to get one of those for my new-age Honda lawnmower (no oil drain plug).

Products (free shipping lower 48 states only) | LiquiVac

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.