what chain for cbr? - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 10:42 PM   #1

Default what chain for cbr?

What chain do we use for the cbr250r? i need to get a new. I know its o-ring type, but what is the number of links? Its probably in the owners manual, not sure. But im drinking a beer and am too lazy to get up . Plus there is no ******************** information about the chain type online. Also the dealer wants $150 to change the chain. id rather just do it myself and save like 80 bucks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2012, 10:59 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,512 Posts

Size is 520 - 108 links.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MotoMike For This Useful Post:
arunkumar (11-19-2013), Aufitt (10-20-2012), Black250 (12-08-2013), Jessydog (08-18-2013), Unicronic (04-15-2014)
Old 10-19-2012, 11:48 PM   #3

thank you sir
Old 10-20-2012, 12:40 AM   #4

How may miles did you get out of the old chain? Does it need replaced because of use or was it damaged?
Old 10-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #5

I also need a new chain i believe. I'm pretty sure i have a seized up link, the bike is having some vibrations and noises from the chain area. If I lift the rear tire and spin it the wheel spins freely and then gets hung up in one spot. I would rather not pay honda to diagnose this as i believe the chain is my problem. Anyways, anywhere else to get a chain from besides the dealer? Should i attempt to change it myself or have it profesionally done?

Any help would be great
Old 10-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shodown220 View Post
I also need a new chain i believe. I'm pretty sure i have a seized up link, the bike is having some vibrations and noises from the chain area. If I lift the rear tire and spin it the wheel spins freely and then gets hung up in one spot. I would rather not pay honda to diagnose this as i believe the chain is my problem. Anyways, anywhere else to get a chain from besides the dealer? Should i attempt to change it myself or have it profesionally done?

Any help would be great
Here is Aufitt's step by step pics on installing a new drive chain. It's on page two of this thread: Changing the front sprocket.

You can order a chain from one of the online Honda dealers... powersportsplus.com has the OEM drive chain for less than $50.00 USD.

Last edited by MotoMike; 10-20-2012 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 12-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #7

mine is still fine, i still have room to adjust it, but lately its been outside so it is kind of rusty. stock chain and stock rear tire so far have 13,000 miles. crazy as i have been Canyon running alot. the rear tire is gone though, i am rpelacing it this week.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldeffect View Post
mine is still fine, i still have room to adjust it, but lately its been outside so it is kind of rusty. stock chain and stock rear tire so far have 13,000 miles. crazy as i have been Canyon running alot. the rear tire is gone though, i am rpelacing it this week.
That's pretty good mileage out of the stock rear tire... I've got 6000 miles on mine so far, I think I'll be lucky to get 8500 - 9000 from the original IRC's. The front tire is starting to cup.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:16 PM   #9

Have you guys checked out if you can get an X-ring chain instead of an O-ring chain? In my experience they are better. Last longer, seal better so they stay cleaner an don't need as much attention. Only bad thing is they cost more. But to me it's worth it.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #10

chain neglection is rampant on bikes that are ppl's first rides.
i seen a brandnew gsr600 the other day with a chain so badly
rusted i couldnt believe how it looked,the young guy on it
probably dosent relize it needs attention/inspected once in awhile.

i soak my chain once every 500-600 miles and
spray a general wd40 type spray on it after a few rides if needed-
just to keep the grime and the possibility of surface rust down to 0%.
my bike has over 6000 miles with no chain adjustment yet.

Last edited by lenbrinke; 12-02-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement