1st service blues - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #1

Question 1st service blues

so, maybe im freaking out alittle bit, or maybe my worries are warranted... but ive been reading the forums about the million dollar first service fees and im kinda not cool with that... i know i need the valves checked and such but my "oh your front tire is fine, the roads are just bumpy" dealership may not be trust worthy... the only other dealers in town are the harley place and the kawasaki place (both are @$$h0L3s). i fell kind of cornered here, i assume that my honda dealer will "ride it around the parking lot" and tell me its fine like they did with the balance issue... which is still rough as crap. has anyone doe the checks themselves? what all is involved with the first service?? what parts are required? i plan on doing the oil change myself, because 14$ per quart of honda miracle oil is OUTRAGEOUS!

P.S.
im right at 600mi. this is why im wigging out lmao. any help is VERY VERY appreciated !

Stock Black Honda Cbr250r
- 100/55 headlight
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #2

Thanked 1,482 Times in 757 Posts

All bikes need servicing. If you think this bike is expensive to service, just think yourself lucky you didn't buy a 4 cylinder SS bike.

Click for mpg >>> http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/489745.html
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to Wynne G Oldman For This Useful Post:
Jme250RA (11-05-2012)
Old 11-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #3

Most people on the forum who get their first service done by the dealer are paying between US$100 - US$200 including the valve inspection.

If you're saying that these sums are too rich then can you really afford to maintain a bike when parts need replacing in the future? With this bikes long service intervals I can't imagine too many other bikes would be cheaper to maintain.

Just my 0.02c.
The Following User Says Thank You to DamianW For This Useful Post:
Jme250RA (11-05-2012)
Old 11-03-2012, 08:48 PM   #4

i was seein 350-550$ for an inspection lol. 100-200$ isnt too bad at all. im not broke , just not filthy rich ;p im doing the oil change myself, and i want to get the inspection done. im more worried about getting charged for the work when my dealer might be gouging me or not actually doing anything to it at all. thats all i was saying.

- 100/55 headlight
Old 11-03-2012, 11:59 PM   #5

I think mine was $250 tax and all. If you don't trust your dealer it would be worth it to take the bike to another area. Make sure they can do same day service and enjoy the ride.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ginsue45 For This Useful Post:
Glitch (11-05-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #6

Im going to call every dealer within 30 miles of me tomorrow and get quotes from each

- 100/55 headlight
Old 11-05-2012, 12:14 PM   #7

Location: Essex UK (The driest part of the UK...but everything is relative!)

I rang around a few dealers. There were big variations in prices quoted, partly because its now pretty confirmed that the exhaust valve clearances need shimming early on, and certainly by 1000 miles. This is unusual on new bikes. It's also expensive in labour charges. Especially when first services used to be free of charge. Some dealers are subsidising this, but understandably only if you bought the bike from them.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #8

Yes i can see why its pricey, im going to do the oil change myself, as its not covered under my extended warranty. Im hoping this dramatically lowers cost and headache of them putting the wrong oil in. I hope i dont need shims but might, just because i can hear slight valve noise around 5500-6500 rpm in every gear, and im fairly sure that is what it is ( having an 85 ford ranger insures you know what valve chatter sounds like lmao). Fingers crossed

- 100/55 headlight
Old 11-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Im hoping this dramatically lowers cost and headache of them putting the wrong oil in.
Perfect. This is what I tell people to do when they're freaking out that their dealer put X oil in when they wanted Y. If you want Y so bad, either buy it and go in with it (and they'll use it), or put it in yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to Prometheus199 For This Useful Post:
Glitch (11-05-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #10

The dealer should tell you that you can get the valves checked very safely between 600 and 1000 miles. You don't need to get it there at 600 on the nose, and no, this will not void any warranty.

An oil change can be done easily if you're even somewhat mechanically inclined. It will cost you well under $20 using Honda conventional motorcycle oil. Even if you're not great with a wrench, you can still learn this skill and save yourself some money. You'll also have peace of mind knowing it was done exactly right. I also think it's quite important for every rider to know his/her bike well enough to at least perform all basic maintenance.

DIY Oil Change.

Same thing goes for the chain tension check, you should be doing this regularly anyway and it's not difficult. It's a 2 minute check and 10 minute adjustment, but you'll need the right tools (including a torque wrench).

Ask what they would charge for just the valve check & adjustment, minus the oil change & tension check.

FWIW, my dealer charges around $170 for the first service - valve check, oil & filter change, chain tension adjustment.

All that said, if you're not comfortable with any of the above, of course have your mechanic do the work, and/or teach you how to do it (the decent ones have no problem with this).

Last edited by CraigCBR; 11-05-2012 at 01:15 PM. Reason: additional info
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CraigCBR For This Useful Post:
don'tpanic (11-05-2012), Glitch (11-05-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement