Ony 2 questions!! - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #1

Default Ony 2 questions!!

I have 2 questions.. Tomorrow m going to chnge oil. I don't have rare stand. Is it ok to change the oil on side stand?? and I don't have any extra tools except those i got with my cbr. so can i change oil with those tools got with mine?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofun View Post
I have 2 questions.. Tomorrow m going to chnge oil. I don't have rare stand. Is it ok to change the oil on side stand?? and I don't have any extra tools except those i got with my cbr. so can i change oil with those tools got with mine?
a) your fine , don't think you NEED a stand just for the oil change

b) think you need a 12mm for the drain bolt , and if you are changing the filter a 8mm.

get a tool set asap ... is good to have ... and check every bolt you can see while you are at it

dealers must hate this site now .... bet their service departments are looking like a MC41 free-zone
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Street Sniper For This Useful Post:
Jme250RA (12-04-2012), toofun (12-04-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,512 Posts

The oil will drain better, as in more completely, with the bike on the side stand than it would on a rear stand.

Refer to this thread: DIY Oil Change
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MotoMike For This Useful Post:
Jme250RA (12-04-2012), mattcbr250 (12-04-2012), toofun (12-04-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #4

I've done it on the side stand. You'll be fine as mentioned. I used the DIY thread above. Great guide. You user manual is quite helpful too. Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to mattcbr250 For This Useful Post:
toofun (12-04-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #5

Default thnx to all of u.

thnx. yes that guide is great. i have already saved that guide and will keep my laptop while changing the oil tomorrow.
and yes this forum is awesome. lightning reply from thors
Old 12-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Can't remember which thread I saw this in but wrap some tin foil around the exhaust near the oil drain plug as this will help keep the oil from dripping onto the pipe.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jme250RA View Post
Can't remember which thread I saw this in but wrap some tin foil around the exhaust near the oil drain plug as this will help keep the oil from dripping onto the pipe.
Good idea!
Old 12-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #8

Manufacturers always recommend using a torque wrench, but in my experience for something as simple as an oil change you can pretty much "feel" what's too loose or too tight.
You should eventually purchase a quality metric box-end wrench for the drain bolt which has a longer handle for better leverage, but even a cheap adjustable wrench will work until then.
I know I wouldn't want to be stuck on the side of the road with just the tools Honda provides, so you should probably add a couple of wrenches and hex keys to your mobile tool kit anyway. My CBR's trunk currently houses the stock tool kit (with some add-ons) and a Stop & Go tubeless repair kit.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #9

Garage

Honda USA sucks; they decided to eliminate the full tool kits back with the introduction of the 2006 bikes in 2005, when my wife was buying herself a new Rebel. Yes, I'm still bitter about the lack of a tool kit.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
... just the tools Honda provides....
You got toolS with yours? Mine came with a 5mm hex key -- tha's ALL.

I have since added enough to do an oil change, and I'll be adding more as I do other routine chores; I've done routine tasks with the tool kit that came with each motorcycle I've owned, adding tools as needed, and it results in a pretty good set of tools to have along if something goes bad on the road . . . .

Last edited by pooder7; 12-05-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement