How to sell my bike? - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
Nde

Default How to sell my bike?

Hello all, I looking into selling my CBR (soon). I want to learn more from people who sold their motorcycles before via private buyers such as eBay/friends/CL.

I personally sold things on eBay. One seller asked to meet him at a local mall near my house. We met and he gave me cash. As I walk to my car, he and his friend pulled a knife and ask for his money. No, it wasn't a return, it was a robbery. He took his cash, my cash and my item. This was my last face to face pickup.

Anyway, one friend of mine suggested that I don't give the buyer a test drive. Another friend suggested holding on to his wallet making sure his driver license is in it. What kind of payment did you proposed? So how do you guys do it? Mind sharing your experience? Thanks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #2

Sorry to read about your experience. Your caution is even more understandable.

One technique I have used is to make an appointment in two days with a prospective buyer (PB). A day later, call the PB and postpone for a day or two. A serious PB is more likely to accept the postponement; others are more likely to drop their supposed interest and move on.

You might also consider having the meeting at a Department of Motor Vehicle office or Tag and Title location. This may help transacting a bill of sale or title transfer on the spot. A lot of foot traffic near the building may deter a thief as well.
2004 Honda CRF150F "Honey Bee" - 2004 Honda CRF150F "Baby Goldwing"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redeye For This Useful Post:
Nde (04-04-2013), yurdle (04-04-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeye View Post

You might also consider having the meeting at a Department of Motor Vehicle office or Tag and Title location. This may help transacting a bill of sale or title transfer on the spot. A lot of foot traffic near the building may deter a thief as well.
Seems like good advice in light of your unfortunate past experience.

Good luck.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 04-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
Nde

I really like the DMV you suggested Red. How do you guys settle the payment, cash, cashier check, etc.?

Sorry for the newb question. Trying to bypass Paypal's cut when possible. Especially this kind of situation.

Thanks again.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:58 PM   #5

You're welcome, Nde.

This has worked for me, both as a seller and as a buyer...

Many people don't carry a lot of cash, and may prefer not to receive it either. On one transaction, I offered to write a personal check to the seller if the seller would sign a bill of sale and give it to me. The seller walks away with a check, keeping his bike and title. I walk away with a binding contract making me the bike's owner if I make payment (i.e. check clears the bank).

Several days later, the check clears the seller's bank, making me the lawful owner of the bike (i.e. the terms of the bill of sale or "contract" are now complete). I then travel to the seller's home and pick up the bike and title.

I might not use this arrangement with an agreed meeting location, but rather at the bike owner's residence. I'll make a quick check of public records on the Internet to ensure the home/vehicle owner has been around for a while and doesn't appear to be leaving any time soon.

A few weeks ago, I sold my daughter's CRF70F, which I had bought two years ago using the method described above. Unexpectedly, the buyer showed up with all of the cash in hand. He departed with the bike and the title. I prefer the check method, but cash is good. Fortunately, my wife and I are trained to spot counterfeit currency.
2004 Honda CRF150F "Honey Bee" - 2004 Honda CRF150F "Baby Goldwing"
Old 04-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #6

I just meet at a bank during working hours. Plenty of security with the added bonus that you can verify the validity of the payment on the spot.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #7
Nde

Thanks. What about test driving situation? Let them try, hate to have them drive off with it.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #8

Buddy of mine had someone test ride his bike and hid his wife's cell phone under the seat with the gps enabled. If the guy failed to return, a quick glance at the website would tell him (and the police) exactly where the bike is.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/matao87/cbr250r
Old 04-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nde View Post
Thanks. What about test driving situation? Let them try, hate to have them drive off with it.

Drive off with it, or damage it...
Old 04-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #10
Nde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Bama View Post
Drive off with it, or damage it...
I know right. A new buyer that may not even have a motorcycle license drops my bike. Now I'm screw. So do you think test driving is totally off the table?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement