Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Does experience really come with age?

14K views 111 replies 63 participants last post by  JMS 
#1 ·
In reading many of the posts, it is good to see the diverse group that we are as riders. Particularly striking (at least to me) are the number of posts in which we learn that the rider is (1) over 40 years old and (2) riding for the first time. I fall into this category...age 54 and my first motorcycle.

So, if I may be so impertinent as to ask: what is your age and what is your level of riding experience? :eek:

#3 ·
Thirty-one, and a new rider. I rode my first motorcycle more than 15 years ago though. I rode ATC's for the most part, but I did have a dirt bike for a short time.

If I had the internet as we know it now, the dirt bike would have been fixed, and I would have gotten a lot more riding in.

My dad was a pro at single cylinder Honda 4-strokes, but didn't know anything about older Suzuki 2-strokes:(

#4 · (Edited)
Thirty-one, and a new rider. I rode my first motorcycle more than 15 years ago though. I rode ATC's for the most part, but I did have a dirt bike for a short time.

If I had the internet as we know it now, the dirt bike would have been fixed, and I would have gotten a lot more riding in.

My dad was a pro at single cylinder Honda 4-strokes, but didn't know anything about older Suzuki 2-strokes:(
Ah, yes, "the internet as we know it now" can actually be a useful wealth of information. As my oldest son is fond of saying when he sees that the neighbor has just bungled another repair job, "What does he think the internet is for?" ;)

#8 ·
I'm 37 & been riding for a year, although I got the license 3 years earlier.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#17 · (Edited)
59 years old; cycling since I was 7, motorcycling since I was 11 and licenced less than a month after I turned 15 in 1969. I have been the registered owner of a motorcycle in three different countries, and ridden in about 15. I guess that makes me a bit experienced.

The only break I have had from motorcycling was a couple of years in Japan, but I did have a bicycle there.

#31 ·
59 years old; cycling since I was 7, motorcycling since I was 11 and licenced less than a month after I turned 15 in 1969. I have been the registered owner of a motorcycle in three different countries, and ridden in about 15. I guess that makes me a bit experienced.

The only break I have had from motorcycling was a couple of years in Japan, but I did have a bicycle there.
That's some great experience, Michael! In which country did you feel motorcycling was the safest?

#18 ·
I'm 22. Been Riding since I was 15 got my licence when I was 16. So about 7 Years of riding. Whoop Youngest. Drove a 125 for 6 years of my life and now i bought myself the Honda and Super happy.

#33 ·
Hey there, youngest so far! That's some good experience you already have!! Let's see, by the time you're my age, you'll have been riding 39 years! By the time I've been riding 39 years I'll be...oh, never mind...

#22 ·
Started riding 56 years ago, bought my first bike, an old Vespa scooter at age 12. I've had a few years that I didn't have a bike, but, to answer your question, yeah, age does bring experience. There are old riders, and there are bold riders, but, few old, bold riders.

Doc

#24 ·
My license info on an insurance renewal says "years licensed; 49" (that includes the motorcycle endorsement). I say Wow.
However, there is a considerable gap in time from when I was riding (305 Scrambler)
as a kid, and my more recent return to riding.
Sometimes I wonder how I ever lived through it all back then. Hell, I didn't know what counter steering was, just rode by instinct! No turn signals, drum brakes!!

IR

#25 ·
I'm 54 and riding since that first Honda Z50 at 14 years old. Enduros and trail riding early in life and on a street bike since my first year of college. Actually, I dropped out in the spring of freshman year to go race for a couple of years and then went back to college in 1980 on a Suzuki GS750E that was my only means of transportation. Seems like yesterday.

Today I'm riding the 250R and a BMW K1600GT and will probably end up swapping the 250R for a liter bike this fall. This has all be an experiment on the 250R to see if my son (21 years old) would want a bike.

#26 ·
I,m 42 and licensed since 1990. I drove my first bike in 90-91 until it was stolen, re-entered the sport in 2006 on a 50cc BWs and finally in nov 2012 got my CBR250RA.
Only 350 km on the CBR.

#28 ·
27 here. Have been riding/racing motocross since 7 years old. Rode my first street bike at 19 but since having my daughter 5 years ago, Im only now getting back into the saddle. :) And I agree fully with a prior post on here.... experience comes with experience.

Reactions: JMS
#37 · (Edited)
I'm 39 and have been riding for 8 yrs. not near the experience level as many as you.

Ok.......I lied, I'm 49! Been riding for 8 yrs! Wish I started riding motorcross prior to the street. My learning curve may not have had the dips and valleys. All good now though. I learn something every time I ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.