Storing/Winterizing bike - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #1

Thanked 1,306 Times in 696 Posts
Garage
Default Storing/Winterizing bike

Thought I'd start a new thread. Coming to the end of September and "blech" the start of cold weather leading to winter. What do ya'll do when it comes to preparing your precious bike for winter storage. Of course this applies to us who experince the cold freeze. Brrrr!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #2

Go for a ride to warm up the engine and do an oil/filter change. (Acids develop in oil as it gets old and used.)

Drain the carb. After that, I usually squirt a little WD40 back up the drain and let it drain out.

Take out the sparkplug, put a little 2-stroke oil in the cylinder and turn the engine over a few times. Turn it to TDC (tod-dead-centre) and put the plug back in. (2-stroke oil is designed to burn off clean when you next fire it up.)

Change the old brake fluid (it has slowly been absorbing moisture).

Service the chain.

Drop tire pressures to about 25-26 lbs.

Check battery fluid and put it on a trickle charger.

Have a beer.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-27-2011, 07:46 PM   #3

Well here is what I do. Change oil and filter, clean and lube chain, fill tank and ad fuel stabel, wash and wax and cover it up til spring.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-27-2011, 07:55 PM   #4

This bike is fuel injected and doesnt have a carb, also has a maintenence free battary
Old 09-27-2011, 08:13 PM   #5

Garage

Keep tank full with fresh premium, apply trickle charger for several days every month and park it on a swatch of burber carpet. Don't want the tires sitting on cement for months on end. Cover him up in his bike cozy and wait impatiently for warmer weather. Sadly my garage is unheated. Only one bike stand for stable of three. Mine doesn't rank high enough to be off ground
Old 09-27-2011, 08:55 PM   #6

"Winterizing," wait, it'll come back to me... Oh yeah, I remember now. LOL.

Sorry, couldn't help it. Grew up in Minnesota/Colorado so I did my time.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:03 PM   #7

Fill the tank and stabilize fuel, wax, store/optimize battery, cover the bike, grab the snowboard and wish for a snow storm. :-)
Old 09-27-2011, 09:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by live_to_ride View Post
Keep tank full with fresh premium, apply trickle charger for several days every month and park it on a swatch of burber carpet. Don't want the tires sitting on cement for months on end. Cover him up in his bike cozy and wait impatiently for warmer weather. Sadly my garage is unheated. Only one bike stand for stable of three. Mine doesn't rank high enough to be off ground
So your bike is male eh? Mine's name is Freya. I'll run her in winter wearing very warm gear... weather permitting. Might buy a heated jacket. She'll go on a battery tenderizer if she sits too long.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:30 PM   #9

Default Ride

Wait for one nice day in thirty and go for a ride anyway? Maybe through a weather window and keep going south for a week.
The Following User Says Thank You to sendler For This Useful Post:
CBR250R (11-16-2012)
Old 09-27-2011, 09:40 PM   #10

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
So your bike is male eh? Mine's name is Freya. I'll run her in winter wearing very warm gear... weather permitting. Might buy a heated jacket. She'll go on a battery tenderizer if she sits too long.
Yup, my bikes a male cause i'm a girl lol. Haven't named him though. He's just a he! Quite doted over though. Spoiled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement