The Bikers Spidey Sense - Page 2 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #11

Well as you found out it can happen. No matter what you do to prepare and how aware you are.

Having said that you can really minimize your chances with awareness. I kind of think about things in 4 zones. Front, rear, left, right.

The best place for an inattentive driver is in front of you and then a good 4 seconds.

Anyone behind me gets a lot of attention from me. I actually take measures to not have anyone too close. On the highway around here that is pretty easy.

Even doing that you have to keep and eagle on on them.

Case in point, I new I had trouble when a shiny new looking Can-Am bike pulled out behind me on a side road headed for the highway. He was riding too close once we were up to speed on the interstate but construction limited it to one lane. I decided to stay in the far side of that lane so when he ran up on me not paying attention, he would instinctively go for the open space next to me.

As we cruised toward our destination, traffic slowed suddenly (expected in a single lane construction zones). I was aware this was happening and as soon as I saw it I looked back to see that the Can-am was blissfully cruising at a high rate towards me.

I veered hard to the right (I was already biased right) and he ended up right next to me when he had figured it out.

In this case I saw it coming before we even hit the interstate.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Sniper View Post
Terminator Mode

@ HoPMiX: ....... still riding the 250 !? .............
Only when there is a track day.

Suzuki GSX-R 600 K8- Black and Yellow
Yosh R55 Full/Dynojet PCIII/CW FE.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #13

I'm reviving this thread.

I almost got rear ended this afternoon. I was standing at a red light and as always, I keep my eyes on my rear view mirrors. I spot this chick coming in a BMW X5. I instantly knew this is going to end badly for me. She wasn't slowing down and worst of all, she was bent over, trying to get something out of the cubbyhole (glove box? I don't know what you guys call it in different countries) and her head was down. she was completely oblivious about the fact that the light was red and that I was 'patiently' awaiting my doom! luckily it was a t intersection, and there were no cars on my left (we drive on the left), just curb and sidewalk. I was standing on the righthand side, cause I wanted to turn. I instantly blasted of the line, and went across the lane to get to the sidewalk side, sound like a stupid desicion, but I didn't want to get thrown into oncoming traffic.I heard the most horrible sound in the world as her tyres screamed, I closed my eyes and braced myself for impact. I think me zipping across the lane made her see me and the light.

She missed me by what felt like a hair's breadth. My heart was pounding like crazy and she got out of her car, almost in tears. I Didn't get of my bike, didn't trust my legs to support my weight at that moment.

I assured her that I'll be fine and found out if she's allright. She started crying and I told her to move her car onto the sidewalk because she's blocking traffic.

Now, I can't stand to see pretty girls cry, and this little incident ended with me taking her for a coffee. We're going for dinner Friday evening

Hopefully something good comes out of this.

Sent from my Xperia S using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-21-2012, 12:59 PM   #14

^^ Ah ah great story

Btw, I just read the whole thread and found it interesting. Reminds me of 2 such occurrences in the past few days.

First occurrence, Monday, commuting to work, on the car pool lane (as I always do; cars can move into your lane only from one side). 2 cars in front of me, a bit slow. Traffic is pretty clear. Mirror check, blind check, preparing to pass them on the right. Reaching the right side rear bumper of the first car (the one directly in front of me), I instinctively brake and go back behind the first car without really knowing why. A split second later, the second car suddenly changes lane without signaling. That car would have pulled right into me.

Some would say I have a guardian angel. Some say spidey sense. I think my brain was faster than my conscience to realize that there WAS a tiny possibility of that car pulling at that exact moment and a quick fear made me go back.

Fear is a good thing. Fear is your instinct telling you "hey, you're not in control here, you don't know what could happen, stop this". I don't put myself in scary situations.

In that case, MSF classes and reading here imprinted in my mind to just never be in a situation where someone COULD technically come at you. I also experienced Murphy's law several times ("if something can go wrong, it will").

Second occurrence (well, not really) was on Saturday, as a passenger in my wife's car. At a T junction, she stops at our stop sign. A car comes from the left, with the right blinker on, slowing down. Totally looks like it's making a right into our street. My wife prepares to engage into the street the other car was coming from. But it didn't feel right. I touch her shoulder, say "no". She doesn't go. The car speeds up, doesn't turn, zooms right in front of us. We would have crashed. My wife looked at me like I was Gandalf. She said "how did you know?"... of course I didn't say "hmm, didn't feel right". Instead I went "DUH, don't pull in front of cars !". (seriously, Asian women drivers )
The Following User Says Thank You to northernlights For This Useful Post:
Gungnir (11-21-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement