Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

you were all right, I apologize

9K views 45 replies 22 participants last post by  AkKnight78 
#1 ·
No trolling this time... two days ago I went down on my cbr250r, im collinG for those who didnt already know. I have really bad road rash and my bikes totaled, I remember laying on the ground thinking of you guys, and how utterly right you were... hopefully you accept my apology... the pain is karma for my actions I believe. road rash is so gnarly, they clean it with soap and a brush in the ER and it hurts very very very badly. Bathing is like sitting in acid or something, a very unreal pain. I have 5 stitches in my shin and my bike is totaled, we'll see what insurance pays.
I usually wear my jacket too, I was just fixing an exhaust leak in my pipe and taking it out for a 5 minute test ride to see if the exhaust glue held, went around a corner, it was slick and I panicked. I ate ****! if not for my helmet I'd have sustained serious head injuries as well. Again, you were all right, from now on i'm going to listen to you all much more carefully because clearly I'm ignorant.

#35 ·
Haha. That's true Red. We have this local mechanic here who hosts events where kids can take their cars and time trial them around various short tracks. His name is Mike, but the people close to him who know the story call him Fingers. He got that nickname because he tried to clean a chain with the engine running and... Well, I don't need to finish this story. He's quite the safety advocate.

#36 ·
Well at least being so young will help make the healing faster.
It sucks that you had to get such a hard reset in regards to attitude adjustment but you're alive and you will heal and are now apparently open to advice from the experienced ones.
This wreck may have saved your life.

I wish you a speedy recovery and I hope you can get back on the saddle again soon. You may experience a bit of road shyness' at first but if you ease back into it and accept advice from people trying to be helpful, you just may become a smarter/better rider and get more enjoyment out of our sport.

Sent from my not so smart phone using any means necessary

#38 ·
yes she is a very open minded mom to say the least :rolleyes: but my father loved motorcycles and she understands that I do too, and that theres not much that will deter me from it. She originally wanted to buy me a car, because I was driving her truck around and getting 15 to the gallon, I argued that a motorcycle is better on gas and more what I want anyway and she went with it.

#39 ·
My first suturing experience was on a woman that was riding a dirt bike in a gravel pit. she made the 'big' jump, did about a 320 degree vertical spin and came down on her back and her sandals had caught in the peg, she'd been wearing a halter top, and cutoff shorts, along with her sandals, apparently, she was dragged about 100 feet before the bike came to rest on her leg. We scrubbed on her for several hours, before we could even start to decide which wounds had enough tissue to suture closed, and which would have to close on their own. I know that we had given her several doses of Morphine, but you can only give so much before you compromise breathing. Some one mentioned that riding in the dirt is easier than road rash, they are both something I'd just as soon avoid, and I believe that woman would have preferred not to have done that jump!!!!
I've handled numerous dirt rashes, and road rashes, but every time I think about doing some weird dirt bike experiment, I think back to her, and think better of it!
I've said it before, "there are old bikers, and there are bold bikers, but few old, bold bikers."
My hope is that our youthful rider, troll, or not, has decided that he will no longer be a
BOLD BIKER!!!

Doc

#42 ·
Yep, hopefully she doesn't want to prevent you from getting another.

So what then of your recovery? Will you get another bike? If you do, are you prepared to learn how to be the best possible rider to avoid situations that put you in situations like now?

Knowledge is power- seriously. There's nothing cool about being powerless.

So there are 3 basic skills that absolutely, without a doubt, must be honed to operate your motorcycle well. All three of them come into play on every ride, and were definitely at play in a scenario where "it was slick" and "I panicked".

Throttle Control.
Braking.
Steering.

All three of these share one common "resource" - traction. Regardless of which is at fault, once you use up traction- it's gone.

Braking/Throttle Control
Watch this vid-

NOTICE how the first time you see the bike go around and the last time you see the bike go around in that video, the bike doesn't slip or slide? There's a reason for that.

Steering
Watch this vid-

NOTICE how when he has he hands on the "fake handlebars" that are not connected to the steering of the bike, he has a much marder time making the bike change direction? And just an ounce of pressure applied in the correct location on the handlebar effects an immediate and authoritative change on the direction/attitude of the bike? There's a reason for that too.

The best thing about it... bottom line... when you learn to ride... it doesn't matter what you ride- you're fast.

These guys are your age and YOUNGER.

They have the knowledge and power. Well mostly. They're still learning, as are we all.

Best of luck in your recovery. Let us know what you decide to do.

Reactions: youwereallright
#44 · (Edited)
sorry to hear about the tumble... I'm pretty new here so I missed all the drama, I'm ok with that though. Regardless... Just heal up and learn from it. I'm still new to motorcycles and while it's getting better there's no way this side of a a small moon I feel confident enough to ride in rain yet... and even on dry pavement I've had a few "thank god this isn't a 600" moments.

Everything happens for a reason, the lesson here is clear... listen to more experienced people, and not just on this forum but in life in general. I'm 40 now so when I talk to my nieces and nephews I really hope they can learn from my words instead of their actions.

#45 ·
Collin, despite how you acted earlier, you are awesome. Takes alot for someone to come back with tail between the legs and admit he should have listened. That is just awesome. Most would not dare show their face. It's great that you were able to learn from this and use it later as opposed to only learning for the half second during your fall. Glad you're still here.

#46 ·
Pride is a very dangerous thing. Sorry to hear about your injuries and I hope you heal fast. Bikes can be replaced, but you can't. Learning lessons from others is far better than learning them the hard way. In the future before arguing a point try and see it from the other persons perspective and consider their motives. If they are trying to look or for you, better to give it alot of consideration before making a decision.

With safe regards from the mostly frozen north.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.