Loud Pipes Save Lives? - Page 4 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #31

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do...
2001 Yamaha YZ250

(Still trying to make room for theCBR 250!)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Torchsport For This Useful Post:
Alacrity174 (12-21-2012), Aufitt (07-23-2012), Jme250RA (11-21-2012), Red_Ryder (07-23-2012), Rusty Shackleford (11-21-2012), TX_Dj (07-23-2012), Wynne G Oldman (11-21-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 07:32 AM   #32

Thanked 2,659 Times in 1,200 Posts

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aufitt For This Useful Post:
Alacrity174 (12-21-2012), BeltwayBandit (11-16-2013), Jme250RA (11-21-2012), northernlights (11-21-2012), nothin2do (11-22-2012), Rusty Shackleford (11-21-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by live_to_ride View Post
I live in a "nice middle class neighborhood". Houses sell around 500 grand. I mind my own business and they theirs. Every third home owns a bike, from track, dirt, street, sport and Harley. I just don't get "my neighbors will hate me" vibe when it comes to loud exhaust. I've said it before and I'll say it again. They don't give a rats furry behind if they keep me up with their screaming kids and teenage parties so, within reason, I don't give a rats furry behind if they have to listen to my bike start up and ride out the hood for 2 min. Note...I said within reason. There are worse things to deal with than a loud exhaustI have never had a complaint from my neighbors.
You know, I wake up at 6 am all week days, and on week-ends, I try to sleep a little to rest. If I wake up at 7, 7.30 am i'm happy. About every other week-end, at 6.30 am a neighbour fires his harley and revs it just a little, in our apartment's complex parking lot which is located right under the bedroom's windows. Doesn't wake me up every time, but wakes up my 3 year old every time. She then comes see me to play and there's no way to put her back in bed. Result, I'm tired, she's tired, she's therefore difficult at 11am already and it makes myself even more tired. So far I managed not to hate him.

Last edited by northernlights; 11-21-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #34

Loud pipes make noise.

Skilled riding saves lives.
The Following User Says Thank You to pooder7 For This Useful Post:
Alacrity174 (12-21-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 09:54 PM   #35

Thanked 1,028 Times in 620 Posts

northern lights - ask him nicely would he mind rolling it away before firing up..
[cant hurt and you never know, he might be human]

loud exhausts obviously dont save lives, as in primary causation..
yet, my cb750/4 sohc with nice 4 into 1 while able to be ridden without
generating major noise [it sort of 'moaned'], would when given a couple of
blips on coming up behind, cars, moving or stopped at lights etc,
be enough to cause an automatic response of looking up into
their rear vision mirrors.. just another positive method of
switching on cager brains to my nearby presence..

[i would still treat the cager brain as if a chook brain,
but even so, every little bit helps ]
Old 11-22-2012, 12:57 AM   #36

Default at

This is certainly a question that some academic will eventually get a research grant to study or us as a Ph.D. dissertation topic. As such how they will approach this question is "do motorcycles with loud pipes have fewer fatal accidents than those without loud pipes?" This question actually spells out that the question really is battling views: loud pipes save lives vs. quiet pipes save lives. This reminds me some of the arguments about seatbelt usage. People would argue that there were certain accidents in which it was more dangerous to wear a seatbelt so that was the reason to never wear a seatbelt. It is possible that there is one life that was saved by loud pipes, but that doesn't negate the possibility that more people survived their rides because they had quiet pipes. In some of the previous posts people have talked about startling drivers with loud pipes as a possible threat of having loud pipes, or reducing the rider's concentration as a possible factor in other accidents. I think the question is on balance, which is safer, not whether loud or quiet pipes have ever been helpful. Will make for some interesting reading once someone finally collects the research data.

I had reason to consider this question the other day. I just barely heard a siren. I opened the car window so I could figure out which direction the siren was coming from and whether I needed to pull over. I don't think I would have had any better luck knowing where a loud pipes motorcycle was coming from, and I probably wouldn't have bothered to figure out where it was coming from. As a car driver, I don't think the sound of loud pipes makes me more aware about motorcycles around me. My unresearched guess is that loud pipes makes riders less aware of their environment by limiting their ability to hear vehicles around them. So my guess is that quiet pipes on balance save more lives, even if it is possible that there is a specific motorcycle vs. car/truck interaction in which loud pipes could have saved a life.

Ultimately, without a formal research study we won't have a real answer. Anecdotal information doesn't really answer the question, in my opinion.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:22 AM   #37
Banned

IMO, loud exhaust DO save lives. When you want to get a driver's attention just blip the throttle a few times, it acts as your voice to get their attention, like " Hey F**ker I'm over here so stay in your lane." If my voice was as loud as the exhaust I would do the same. Bikes need to be seen and heard to avoid danger, it's not like a car where you can quietly putt around town without a care in the world. When I'm in my car loud exhausts certainly get my attention and I'm glad I hear them so I can be careful around them. For those of you who don't like loud exhausts how can you love motorcycles? The exhaust sound is one of the best characteristics of a bike. However, I do not like the exhaust sound on this cbr250r single cyclinder, sounds like a lawnmower.

Last edited by RockyRyda; 11-22-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:20 AM   #38

I think that 30yrs ago they may have saved lives, back when most cars didn't have a tonne of sound deadening material, air-con and stereos that can be heard from orbit, and that idea has just lived on.

I also reckon that as a new rider loud pipes might help in slow speed incidents, like when I've had cars try to merge into me from almost directly side on or do stupid stuff on roundabouts. A more experienced rider would get to the horn when stuff like that happens, but I always seem to hit the starter button (embarrassed smiley, anyone?). A quick blip with loud pipes might help here, but once again learning to ride would be better and it's hardly life-threatening anyway.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:18 AM   #39
Super Moderator

they definitely assist in motorbikes being heard and noticed more easily but like people said, from behind and to the side they are great but aren't much use from front on.

I saw an ambulance with its lights on today and it was pretty heavy traffic and i wondered why its siren wasn't on too until i got really close to it (it was oncoming) and then i properly heard the sirens which i couldn't hear just a few seconds ago once i got really close so they are directional and sometimes you can hear them more than other times but loud pipes do assist as i said in noticing motorbike riders and i believe can help in reducing accidents by being noticed more easily.

- Black Adjustable Levers
- HRC Carbon Fibre Tank Pad
- Hotbodies FE Kit
- 16,000km's in 12 months

2011 GSX-R600 Black
Old 11-22-2012, 05:21 AM   #40
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will 250 View Post
A quick blip with loud pipes might help here, but once again learning to ride would be better and it's hardly life-threatening anyway.
or a big blip?

- Black Adjustable Levers
- HRC Carbon Fibre Tank Pad
- Hotbodies FE Kit
- 16,000km's in 12 months

2011 GSX-R600 Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement